Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Live Game Mode Discussion   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
If you have any comments or suggestions about the new Live Game mode, please post them here.

Thanks,

Steve
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's awesome!! Thanks Steve.

One minor issue. As the game progresses and you keep scrolling down, you lose sight of the diamond and baserunners.
Erkuza

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There is no box score. Only the final score.
LCabral23

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like it, but agree with the above posters about the box score and diamond.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice one!

A bit slow for me though. Maybe there could be a way for us to customize the speed of text coming in?

And yeah, it would also be cool to keep track of the result in a box score.
Ajax

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is awesome! Thanks Steve!

Agree with the minor tweaks above...would be nice to be able to advance faster or using spacebar maybe?

I would also only show the current inning's play by play, so it doesn't scroll off the screen.

Achates1

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Very good first attempt. My suggestion would be to reverse the direction of scroll. The oldest would scroll down. So the newest would always be on top.

Matt
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
way to slow, reverse order ...

and box score is missing on all pages now (also on the so called "game summary and box score"-page)

but great work Steve!!!
msigg6

Bay City Lions
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
great work steve.... I got a suggestion here, like maybe we can install a chat here in the near future? like have it come from mibbit or chatroll or something like that

just a lil suggestion that can go in when you're bored :)

anyways it's grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Boomstick

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the box score page could be a bit easier to read. For instance instead of the newspaper style way you have it now, I would like to see it more like your ESPN box score, with the two lineups and their stats next to each other and the pitchers at the bottom. That I think would also facilitate a cooler live game viewer, as you could have the text and diamond at the top, and then the stats could insert into the box as they go. I know that's a bit of an overhaul. But I think it's a more natural way of looking at a baseball box score. Just throwing some ideas out there :)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I think the box score page could be a bit easier to read. For instance instead of the newspaper style way you have it now, I would like to see it more like your ESPN box score, with the two lineups and their stats next to each other and the pitchers at the bottom. That I think would also facilitate a cooler live game viewer, as you could have the text and diamond at the top, and then the stats could insert into the box as they go. I know that's a bit of an overhaul. But I think it's a more natural way of looking at a baseball box score. Just throwing some ideas out there :)

So you mean like a "live" box score rather than a game summary?

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I can increase the speed a bit. I would like to make it adjustable, but I don’t have that feature implemented yet. I struggle with how fast it should go – if you play Hattrick or some of the football games, they stretch the game over 1 hour or 90 minutes (for soccer). However, I’m not sure if there is enough action to do that and with 3-5 games per day, who would have the time to watch them all. I was targeting ~10 minutes, but maybe five would be better.

In terms of the scrolling…there seems to be some who what it to scroll in reverse while other would like to just see one inning (or half inning?) of action. Will look into what it takes to implement those changes.

Thanks for all the feedback,

Steve
Erkuza

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve, when you go and see the game results it does not show want runs were scored in what inning. Can you fix that? Right now it only shows the final score.
Boomstick

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah a live box score would be awesome I think, and more exciting to watch than the game summary. I know its a big change though. Just something I thought would be cool.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Steve, when you go and see the game results it does not show want runs were scored in what inning. Can you fix that? Right now it only shows the final score.

So you want something that looks like this (but with proper formatting), right?

Club 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 R H E
Atlanta 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 – 3 9 1
Minnesota 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 - 4 9 0

Or did you mean something more like:

Bottom 1st: Cleveland
- S. Choo struck out looking
- J. Kipnis grounded out to second
- L. Chisenhall singled to shallow right
- R. Canzler walked, L. Chisenhall to second
- T. Hafner grounded out to first

0 runs, 1 hits, 0 errors
Chi White Sox 0, Cleveland 0

Steve

Updated Monday, January 14 2013 @ 1:43:32 pm PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah a live box score would be awesome I think, and more exciting to watch than the game summary. I know its a big change though. Just something I thought would be cool.

Okay, think I know what you’d like. It’s kind of the presentation when you watch the games live on Yahoo or ESPN where there is a brief inning summary and a “live” box score below.

With this first version, there isn’t that level of information saved in the game files…however, I like the idea and will look into what I can do to move in that direction.

Steve
JayJeffery

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the scrolling text, I think a live box score would not be as exciting... two of the games I've watched have been 14 innings and with the scrolling text it made it a nail biter. I think the text feels more natural.

i would also like to see it scroll in reverse so i can keep an eye on the diamond, outs and bases as I lose that once I have to scroll to the third inning currently.

I would also like a speed adjustment which it sounds like you have plans for.

All in all great first go at it... i like it a lot better than the 1980s bit animation other sites use!
Boomstick

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If no one else thinks the live box score is good, then i guess theres no reason to pursue it lol.

I just think it would feel more like watching the game happen, where as the current format just feels like you're revealing the summary bit by bit. If that makes sense.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Actually, I think it’s a good idea…it’s just not going to happen with the first revision, because of the way the data is setup and stored right now. I wish baseball was in season, so I could see how live games are played out on Yahoo or ESPN. I think I will work towards something of that format.

Thanks for the input,

Steve
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve but give us back the normal box scores!

btw i like the live coverage of cbssports.com
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The box score is still available through the regular means (under the results column). I suppose I could add the box score to the live score after the game is concluded??

Steve
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Nope, the box score in the results column has gone missing since one of the live play versions came in and it's still missing.

When you click in the result, on the top of the page, where the box score used to be, it's only the final score there now.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
This has not changed.

What do you have for your Hide Score Setting set to? If you have “Hide Score” selected, then for new games it will go directly the game summary (with the box score hidden) – see below. And you have the option to add the box score with the Display Now link.

For the other two Hide Score settings, the box score does appear before the game summary.

Steve

----

Oceanview City - San Francisco
Date: August 27th, 2011
Game: League [#759969]
Ballpark: San Francisco Stadium

Starting Pitchers
Oceanview City: T. Crawford (R)
San Francisco: D. Sutton (R)

Line-ups
Oceanview City: 3B-Romo (S), CF-Huber (R), 2B-Kelley (L), RF-Nunez (L), 1B-Schmidt (R), LF-Moody (S), DH-Carranza (L), C-Kokawa (R), SS-McKenzie (S)
San Francisco: LF-Foster (L), 1B-Wilkerson (S), CF-Segura (S), C-Mercado (L), DH-Pruitt (R), RF-King (L), 3B-Schultz (S), SS-DiMaggio (R), 2B-Weaver (L)

Top 1st: Oceanview City
Romo flies out to center field.
Huber flies out to left field.
Kelley hits a single to center field.
Nunez grounds to short stop. Nunez is thrown out at first by DiMaggio.
Oceanview City 0, San Francisco 0

Updated Tuesday, January 15 2013 @ 2:23:48 pm PST
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, that is correct.

Thing is, after you hit the the display score, the box score doesn't appear where it used to be. Instead we get this:

Team / Inning F
Orlando Panthers 2
Norshire City Raiders 3

Before it used to be something like this:

Team / Inning 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 F
Orlando Panthers 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 2 2
Norshire City Raiders 0 0 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3

The Innings are missing now.
Ajax

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Confirmed. They are definately missing from the results. all you get is the Final column, not the inning by inning scores like before...
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, I see what you’re pointing out. You’re not saying the whole box score is gone, you’re just saying that within the box score, the scoring by inning summary at the top is missing and only the final score is reported (with a bunch of white space where the inning scores used to be).

I’ll look into what happened there.

Thanks for your patience,

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, I think I've fixed the box score/scoring line issue.

Steve
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yup, you dit it! It's back now.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, I've limited the live score to include only the pre-game stuff and the current inning summary. When the game complete, the entire summary is printed and there is a link at the top to go to the boxscore.

Will look into trying to get a RT scoring line included.

Steve
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Good job on this aspect of the game.
JayJeffery

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve, I like that you did it one inning at a time.... one suggestion though:

Would it be possible to have a pause button?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I would like to add a speed control and pause button. Just don't have the know how yet...will get there soon though.

Steve
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
how about "time between next line-update" in seconds?
JayJeffery

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think you are making great progress I'm willing to wait! Thanks for your hard work!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
how about "time between next line-update" in seconds?

If the time was adjustable, would you still want this feature?

I think it might require a lot of server processing to update the page every second.

Steve
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
these are the "lines":
Jeong strikes out.
Kramer draws a walk.
Kirby flies out to center field.
Kramer steals second base.
Sexton flies out to center field.

and time (seconds) until the next line appears ...

Previous Page | Show Page |