Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Waiver Steals and FA   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
With Barrett's horrific performance last year, the Highlanders have been on the look out for a backup option to platoon against lefties. We managed to snag Taisei Ishii off waivers (only claim). The young 3B from Japan did very poorly last season in the minors, but has some nice intangibles. Haverhill believes that he can be converted to a catcher and are cautiously optimistic that he can be more successful behind the plate than Barrett was last season.

Haverhill is currently evaluating a couple other players that seem to be flying under the radar.

Updated Sunday, February 19 2017 @ 7:11:06 am PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the thread concept. :)

Not that high on Ishii tho. Development graph shows his c is fairly recent. Think there is a lot of work to do with that one.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep, but he has at least one year in already towards "C", and one more year in the minors. He should get "C" pretty quickly after he hits the majors. My bigger concern is his minor league performance. It has been pretty inconsistent which is a big red flag. Still a nice ROI gamble who was essentially a FA pickup.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I had that player, Taisei Ishii, for a few weeks last season. I cut him for 2 reasons.

1. I felt that he would not get enough time at AA and AAA before needing to send him to the majors at age 25/26.

2. I decided to go for an even riskier high risk/ high reward gamble at C. I am going to try to teach this player Peter Powell the C position in AAA and in the majors.

I too liked the possible upside to Ishii, but in the end I decided to go with the anther gamble in Powell. Powell has the better hitting upside in my estimation but he does not even have a lower case c in fielding.

But his minor league defensive stats at Catcher seem encouraging anyway. Powell in 70 games is fielding .994 at C with a 36% CS percentage at AAA. If he can do that in the majors, I will be happy. He did nicely in hitting last year and I was scrambling to project where I would play him in the majors when he gets call up sometime in 2031.

Updated Sunday, February 19 2017 @ 7:39:22 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Powell looks like a nice hitter. Will be tough to make him a Catcher though. Ishi is definitely a gamble, but if he works out, any guy you pull off FA or waivers with less than 5 claims on him is a steal.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wil, in my opinion, you made the right call largely due to Powell being ready offensively immediately. In fact, when you're not playing a particularly speedy team, I'd consider starting Powell at catcher right now. There normally isn't a huge penalty for a non-catcher catcher; I'd push my luck and see what he can do. Plus, he'll gain his qualifications much quicker in the bigs. Coronado isn't great offensively and isn't a stud thrower anyway. Villa strangely hit as well in the majors in his rookie season as he did in the minors. I think it's basically a coin flip between Villa and Powell as far as who will be better in the long run.

If Powell does fine, you might want to consider cutting Coronado and let your youngsters take over full-time. You could have your backstops set for the next several years. Good luck with them.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the thoughts MukilteoMike,

I am hoping that things will go as you suggest. And Yes, I am planning on pushing my luck with Powell. Let's see what happens :-)

My team is in a rebuilding mode, so I have nothing to lose. ( Especially in league level 6 )

Villa is my insurance policy. He will be in the mix for sure.

The interesting thing about Villa is that I picked him up on waivers from the Haverhill Highlanders. So it is almost as if we made a round about delayed trade via third parties and waivers of Ishii for Villa :-)

That is kind of neat in a way.

Updated Sunday, February 19 2017 @ 8:48:14 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL. Yeah it is like we did a trade.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like Ishii as well. When I picked him up on waivers last year, I thought that he was a very good find. So congrats on that.

I only let him go because I decided to try something else and he became my third young C option.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Same reason I let Villa go ;) Accept the guy I picked over him has fallen flat. So I'm back in the market for that type of player.

Updated Sunday, February 19 2017 @ 12:21:47 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He might not reach his max potential, but I still think Ishii was a steal at 1 claim. He did get his "C" before he hit the majors, and as he has developed he has become a solid vLHP Catcher. Will probably continue to improve at a low rate for a couple more years.
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
You might not think much about this guy looking at his skills but he has been rock solid for me since I won this 4-claimer.

Only an 85 SI 11 Pot, I picked him up for his 19 arm and very good hitter potential. In 4 1/2 seasons, mostly as a platoon catcher that tears up right-handed pitching, he was been an all-star twice, has a career .305 BA, a career OPS of .807, and a .999 Fielding Percentage while throwing out 43% of base stealers.

He's gotta be high on the list of most effective 11 POT's in the game.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Yankee

I remember you posting about Ahn in another thread, I still maintain that that guy is the epitome of "hitting is the best skill". That was an awesome steal for you!

Cordero wasn't even on waivers, he was an FA, and the previous owner snatched him up and now he's in the Cy Young convo this year!

Updated Monday, November 27 2017 @ 12:43:03 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Taisei Ishii has continued to develop into a very strong vLHB hitter, and has been useful as a fill-in 3B for me this year each time my starter (previously a backup) gets injured. Just need to keep him in the vLHB lineups. But that is what I needed since my everyday catcher Edgar Toledo (also an uncontested waiver) is hopeless against lefties.

Still early, but Don Tipton is looking like another uncontested waiver steal (like my catchers, I was the only claimant).

Last 2035 Russell George (another uncontested waiver) was dominating after being promoted to the majors, so I have high hopes for him as well.

Updated Monday, March 12 2018 @ 2:38:03 pm PDT
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I’ve made a ton of lucky claims this season, but perhaps my luckiest find wasn’t a claim at all, but a free agent.

Orlando Duran

To be honest, not entirely sure how he slipped through waivers. He has a solid defensive build for a 2B, he has the prototypical "high hitting, low everything else" build that dumpster-divers crave, he plays a rare position, he isn’t too terribly expensive, and he’s done nothing but suceeed his entire career.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice threat. Ishii has been playing well in II.2, that 50% CS ratio would justify even if his bat wasn't performing as well as it is against lefties.

My FA store is Santa Cruz. Picked him up as an unclaimed FA last season, he only starts against lefties but has put up good numbers, great defense and is a useful bench bat for sure.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In commemoration of his stellar arm, Taisei Ishii has received the nickname Teppō (iron cannon). He defied the expectations of his critics and became the steal I predicted :)

(I don't count 2035 since my entire team ended up hitting 30-40 points below average the second time through that season)
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He might not be a steal, but he stops them pretty well. While he looks like a slightly above average backstop to me (with the obvious exception of his hot start this season), any time an uncontested claim becomes a starter, he's done well.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
For my team, those numbers make him a top performer on the team over the last 4 seasons. Of course I do always seem to draw an exceptional number of losers on the team... Its all relative I suppose.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow. On paper Parsons is probably a top ten RH batter sitewide. His production, however, is rather pedestrian. Guys like that drive me crazy. His numbers must be inflated 10+% across all hitting categories.

Naranjo for me is basically the same dude. I drafted him as a 16 potential and thought I had struck gold. Nope. His 15/19/16/18 has led to a career OPS of 734.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@ MMike -- Ouch on Naranjo. I can't imagine what it is like to score a 16 POT, but then what a let down. I would probably cut him just so I wouldn't be reminded of the pain. Sorry you had to go through that.

@ Rock -- Ishi isn't a steal -- in fact it seems that almost no one can steal on him at all. He is just the kind of build I have been looking for in a C. Thing is how could anyone know he would keep developing so late? You got him at age 25 with only 79 SI. That looks pretty much broke to me. Then you get him in the majors to only play half time for 4 yrs, yet he still improves well. At age 28 (when almost all my players are "too old to improve much more") he is still at 94 SI. Really how could one expect him to improve for 2 more years at such a clip? Well done! I am curious on how quickly his skills will decline -- maybe he found the fountain of youth and give you more than 3-4 yrs of this peak. Ishi makes up for Parsons.

I have only been playing since 2035 and am still learning, so I don't have any really great steals, but because the team I inherited had no pitching I will say that my "steal" was largely volume. In particular I picked up 3 pretty good additions that helped significantly in aggregate: McFarland, Caruthers, and Brake. Because I also had no pitching in the minors I have tried to do the same thing there. I have a large stable of meh yet hopeful 12 POTs from the waiver wire. They are definitely an improvement, even if only by degrees. If a couple break right maybe I will keep the team going upward and do battle with y'all in a few seasons.

Updated Wednesday, August 22 2018 @ 8:00:20 am PDT

Updated Wednesday, August 22 2018 @ 8:05:11 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Teppō only improved ~5 SI per year, which is pretty standard. Players will continue to grow sometimes into their 30s if they haven't fully developed yet (especially if they got enough time in AAA). The "too old to improve much more" tag is a meaningless tag that is blanket applied to all players that age. He was in AAA already and still had two more seasons of potential growth in AAA. I could easily see his development trajectories from his development graph. His CS% was surprisingly high for a guy who didn't yet have a capital "C". That's how I could tell what he was.

Updated Wednesday, August 22 2018 @ 4:34:33 pm PDT
Curveball

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/120463

SP Edgar De La Cruz is my free agent steal. Has a 2.43 era and is 28 years old and I picked him up last offseason
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, he barely escaped the first inning in his last outing, and I think he is done improving but that was a good ERA going.

http://brokenbat.org/player/104239

How about an ex 16 POT 116 SI .304 career batting average free agent right fielder?
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
[url]http://Sheriff" Larry Moss

[/url][url]http://http://brokenbat.org/player/122124[/url]
Was a free agent pick up who is a solid catcher.

Updated Friday, August 24 2018 @ 9:12:51 pm PDT

Updated Friday, August 24 2018 @ 9:15:31 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, Moss was on my team before yours, really liked that 20 Arm but never figured he'd turn out like he has. He was the victim of a roster crunch for me, but he's turned out better than Porkins who I acquired to replace him.
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Both Velasco http://brokenbat.org/player/125200 and Menendez http://brokenbat.org/player/125803 have done great things for my team. I picked them up with barely any claims on them back when I was in a total rebuild and virtually no options at 2B and SS. Velasco has since transferred to the OF and DH role after losing some range.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Slick Zane Carney [url]http://http://brokenbat.org/player/148654[/url] was a 5 claim pick up that bounced around a few team's before I picked him up. He was a rookie pitcher of the Year and has been a solid starter.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Eduardo Quinones, second best hitter in the history of the Laredo franchise (.827 career OPS);
team MVP for the first promotion to Legends in 2021;
and Cup Winner;

was signed as a Free Agent in 2015
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Why did this player get dropped so often?

Bernie Field: brokenbat.org/player/172969

If he reaches his potential he should be on base all the time. Did I just get a steal?
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Field looks awesome...
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Field looks like he'll be a real nice DH.

I'm hopeful about this guy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the SI he gains in the majors (2037 debut) is all in the right places, and he becomes a nice POT 12 power bat.
Kirito_Whale

Waipahu Indians
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Best FA signing in my franchise history was a guy named Terry Traverso: brokenbat.org/player/103138

Signed as a FA in 2025, went on to 1x Rookie of the year, 6x All-star, 3x All-League LF, 1x MVP. Career .306 hitter.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Field has another fan here! Hadn't seen him otherwise I'd have been in on him.

A few seasons back I really struggled for OBP guys, which was why I've since picked up Anguiano, Main and O'Conner. The latter two are a bit 'flashier' from a POT standpoint, but the hitting approach is the same as Field's.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I saw field but am loaded at young 1B/Dh types.

I picked up Hawke as his 6th team.

Since scoring him over 5 other teams on wavers he has racked up Rookie of the year, cy young and best pitcher in LL4, 3 allstars, and a very consistent 3.38ERA over 10 major league seasons.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I have two in particular to list.

I’ll start with Chul Moo Jang, who was picked up as a free agent at age 32. I needed a DH at the time, and figured he would do alright until I could find someone better — sure, he had a couple of All Star years under his belt at the time, but I wasn’t expecting miracles from him. I certainly didn’t expect him to spend the next two seasons putting up the best numbers of his career and two more All Star appearances. He may not have been a long-term player for the Rats, but for those two seasons he was absolutely a free agent steal.

The second player is Mateo Sepúlveda, picked up as an unopposed waiver claim at age 19. This was a guy I had hopes for, a contact and speed guy with range and good enough fielding to solidify what had been a shaky outfield in a very large dome. So far he’s been pretty much exactly what I was expecting and then some, winning Rookie of the Year in what had been an abysmal season in V.4 for the Rats and then deciding last season that he wasn’t going to settle for being a 12 POT anymore.
mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I picked up Bastian Farber to catch for me this year; he was a Waiver Claim, but I was the only team to put in a claim.

He was just the MVP of our All-Star game!

http://brokenbat.org/player/125974
tamale

Concord Jets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Similar story for me with Flores https://brokenbat.org/player/131557. Picked him up as a FA last year, he can play LF and has an OPS of .971 so far this year. Just went 3-3 with 2 homers in the all star game.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Based on All Star Selections and performance at both LL6 and LL6, I'd say these two are my big Waiver steals since I've joined:

Contreras
Flynn
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Haverhill Steals update with last year's stats:

Steals (3 claims or less)
C/3B "Teppō" Ishii - 21 HRs, .799 OPS, 37.2% CS (1 claim)
1B/OF Don Tipton - 21 HRs, .822 OPS (1 claim)
SP Alfonzo Gómez - 3.16 ERA (2 claims)
RP Russell George - 3.41 ERA (1 claim)
RP Sam Judge - 4.14 ERA (2 claims)

Potential up and comers
OF "Wahoo" Kanoa Māhoe - .666 OPS (2 claims)
OF "Lucky" Deliz - .684 OPS (3 claims)
1B/OF Juan Manuel Quiles - .682 OPS (3 claims)

Honorable mention (more than 3 claims)
SET Orlando Ortega - 2.46 ERA (5 claims)

Youngster Potential Steals TBD
C/3b Agustín "Dilly" Delgadillo (FA)
RP Daniel Vásquez (3 claims)

Updated Thursday, October 11 2018 @ 8:43:00 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
10 seasons later, I can say with good confidence that "Teppō" Ishii (from the first post on this thread) was a definitely waiver steal at 1 claim :) He had a lot of shade thrown his way in the early days, but proved the doubters wrong over the long haul.

This is probably his last season. Will be sad to see him retire :(
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a 'steal' of my own in Crow. 1 claim as well! Awesome player, and still pretty strong at 37. This season is going to be his last as well.

Updated Sunday, March 24 2019 @ 3:12:42 am PDT
5L1NK

Farmington Hills Cardinals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Bagwell is my 1 claim steal. The man is Texas to the bone. Raised in Austin, graduated from Texas A&M and shares a surname with a HOF Houston Astro. One of the Best builds for a 12 POT pitcher in my organization's history to date. Still has at least 3 good seasons left in him.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
[url]http://http://brokenbat.org/player/146594[/url]
Luis Cedeno has done well platooning at 1B against RH pitching.
[url]http://http://brokenbat.org/player/148654[/url]
Zane Carney has been a solid starter for me. Also, he was a 10th round pick by the Manhattan Isotopes.

Does anyone else have problems linking when using smartphones?

Updated Sunday, March 24 2019 @ 11:08:41 am PDT
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@5L1NK
Bagwell is my 1 claim steal. The man is Texas to the bone. Raised in Austin, graduated from Texas A&M and shares a surname with a HOF Houston Astro. One of the Best builds for a 12 POT pitcher in my organization's history to date. Still has at least 3 good seasons left in him

He was tough to face last season. Though not as tough as "Concepticon" of course. Concepticon is the best pitcher my team has ever faced during my tenure. I will actually miss game planning against him this season. It has always been a pleasure squaring off against your team. Fun competition. GL on 2040.

Updated Sunday, March 24 2019 @ 2:15:55 pm PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Dan yeah linking on smart phones is an awful experience. I wish Steve’s forum code allowed you to just paste a url and have the codesmart enough to turn it into a link.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@ JJNZ
Nice pick up on Avila! Unfortunately I didn't notice him on the waiver wire.

I guess this is why you have won it all and I am just beginning my first tour in LL3. No disrespect to the other guys, but I think you and Oklahoma are the teams to beat in our division this season.
GL.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Unfortunately I didn't notice him on the waiver wire.

No doubt the CareB,,..ahh CareZone, ahh JJNZ is the king of dumpster diving!
5L1NK

II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Hayseed

I'll grant you it was fun, but it was barely competition. It felt like you had my number all season. Every series with you was the mentality "as long as i don't get swept, it's a win in my books".

The fact i swept you at the end was so bitter sweet considering you already clinched and i ended up with a 9-11 record against you.

I'm sure we'll face off again. Hopefully at III or higher!
5L1NK

II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Probably the biggest steal i've ever had. Buck-Shot was an 11 POT free agent I went dumpster diving for near end of season. little did i know i'd end up with the best closer in franchise history. And i never would have given him the shot if it weren't for the season reset. he was my LHS in the season that never was. then when i redid the season, my closer at the time suddenly lost his ability to save a game and i put in Buck. The rest is happy history. and he even shot up to a 12 POT which made it so much sweeter. i only wish the 17 points he had in fielding went to let him him 20 velocity
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Hayseed - he's a good insurance policy in case my new OF falls over which it has a fairly good chance of doing. You've reminded me I need to scout the other teams in the division properly so I may even do a little write up over in III.1!

Dumpster diving is one of the most fun things about the game to me!
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@5L1NK

I was surprised to have avoided Concepticon last season in at least 2 series. you only gave him the ball 30 times (and never more than 34 in his storied career). If I had someone like him with 18 Stam I would try to squeeze the schedule to get him on the mound more. Aragon is the closest I have to Concepticon and so I got him 37 GS last year not including leaning on him for 3 rounds of Cup.

Buck-Shot is awesome, but you also use him very well. His career FIP is 1.2 higher than his ERA. Too bad closers with successful history of saves cost so damn much in this game.

Updated Sunday, March 24 2019 @ 11:33:31 pm PDT
5L1NK

II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Several reasons for Concepticon not facing you often. I tweaked my rotation to allow him to face teams I deemed more important wins. Those were Omaha and Belleville to make sure relegation was avoided (increase the gap directly). 2039 was not a promotion run by any means for me, I just wanted to form a platform at the level and develop young guys accordingly while avoiding relegation. The other reason I tweaked his starts was because of my deep cup run, if you look at his career cup stats, you'll notice 4 more starts because I needed him in elimination rounds. As for not giving him more starts in the season. I learned the hard way in 2034 by losing him for several weeks and that ended up being my first 100+ loss season. You could say my franchise pitcher and I developed an "understanding"
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok, so this guy, Mena, has played enough now that I think he is my best 1 claim steal. Not great, but fully solid at a position that was needed.
Demassa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not the greatest players ever, but I signed both http://brokenbat.org/player/13073Juan Carlos Olivares and http://brokenbat.org/player/134334 Ben Romano as free agents on the same day and they're #s 1 & 2 of my 17 active players in career OPS.

Updated Saturday, June 1 2019 @ 2:18:15 am PDT

Updated Saturday, June 1 2019 @ 2:19:53 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Still a bit early to tell, but I'm thinking Rick Lynn is probably going to be a steal at 1 claim. Especially if I can get him trained up more at 3B. A lot will depend on how his BC pans out.

A few others I picked up recently that I am optimistic about:
Mark Bearden - 1 claim
Derrick Feeney - 2 claims
Alton Fox - 1 claim
Teavon George - 1 claim
Brandon Banks - 2 claims

Some guys on the main squad who look to be steals:
Jesús Barron - 1 claim
Alberto Madrid - Free Agent

Honorable mention:
Rafael Miranda - 4 claims violates the steal definition, but still a nice pick up.

Still crossing my fingers on Bernardo Vallejo. Its eally hard to evaluate a player when the AI won't play him :( I dropped a couple other guys because of that, but I don't have a better option for a LHS prospect right now.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He had only two claims on him when he was on waivers in the beginning of the 2040 season and was an All-Star this season for my team.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/89570

This was probably Denvy's most notable, but not best free agent signing. This was during a time (5 real life years ago) when Haselrig (Novi/Norwalk) was doing the Scouting Network helping teams find free agents via the Forum, a grassroots thing and altruistic gesture, and prior to POT even being searchable. He was a free agent 14 POT for 2 days as I mulled over whether or not to offer him a contract. Imagine that in 2042?! I even asked Haselrig if he was majors material, and he was politely telling me "he is just a maybe for Norwalk scouts." A nice 4 tool guy. Played for Haselrig's Norwalk and also the Orlando Sharks, a team that used to be well established in Legends. I gave him a shot just based on social proof of being in farm systems that I respected. My fourth day of Broken Bat ownership: A 14 POT free agent!

http://brokenbat.org/player/120957

3 claimer that saved 251 games for Denvy. Demands the most expensive contract (pitchers and hitters included) this year in all of Broken Bat. Only a 99 SI, 12 POT, but we know how hard it is to find reliable closers with ice in their veins. In the years Sargent was primary closer, he has a .883% save percentage. Real life players: Mariano Rivera .891% and Trevor Hoffman .888%.

http://brokenbat.org/player/90325
A 13 POT free agent who won a Cy Young, was an All Star and All League in the same year.

http://brokenbat.org/player/89322
A 12 POT 92 SI free agent who was simply a very dangerous designated hitter in LL III one year and had 31 HR, 111 RBI in his final season in BB. His attributes were low, but I signed him and gave him an opportunity of full-time DH at age 34 because he had a good track record in LL II.

http://brokenbat.org/player/80224
A 13 POT free agent who pitched over 1,600 innings (9 seasons) for Denvy. Pitch repertoire was strange that he was only a two pitch pitcher. Rookie of the Year award.

http://brokenbat.org/player/80034
Good plate discipline, but this player's agent had zero discipline! Very disappointed that Milo Metalbat (Atlantic City) and that "balls club" of his ended this man's career; what a disgrace! :( A free agent that batted .331 (and .400 OBP!) one year as a switch-hitting catcher.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/225101/U

If he can duplicate his International League numbers and figure out how to play Catcher tomorrow, this could be a pretty unfair steal for us. He'll definitely make his national team as well with ease, so Denvy fans will have someone other than Tellez to look for during the World Classic.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
Carl Ricci has 123 claims so far!!!
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Benavides isn't farm behind at 112. Lottery tickets, pure and simple.
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
What is it with Boulder and them getting the guys I really want? In all seriousness, whoever got Benavides was gonna be lucky.
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Only my second off-season. I had claims for 14 different players in just the last 2 days and got none of them. Is that normal? Feels frustrating.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It can certainly happen, particularly if there are four to five plus claims on your players. And sometimes your waiver claims can only have one other claim on them and you have bad luck. It happens to all of us at one point.

Think of it this way: a player with "only" 10 claims means you have a 1 in 10 or 10 percent chance of claiming the player. If they have 20 claims, it's only a five percent chance, etc. Carl Ricci, who's at 145 claims right now, is a 0.7 percent chance.

Updated Wednesday, January 15 2020 @ 7:58:03 pm PST
Ouija7

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It is a lottery one which I have never won before the season starts all 3 of my successful claims have been during the season, all 3 had low number of claims, 12,4+3, my advice is always expect not to be successful 👍
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
"Anybody seen Ricci?"

/Steven Seagal - Out for Justice
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Even a guy with only one other claim is 50%. Pretty bad odds.

But that's what this thread is all about. Those guys you snagged with only 1 or 2 other people seeing their value, who then went on to be major contributors on your team.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm still pretty over the moon about this guy that I got two seasons ago as a 12 claimer. He put up some impressive numbers at high levels and hasn't disappointed me yet. I'm probably going to jinx myself but 0 HR in over 71 IP last season. Only 1 HR in 101 IP for my team total.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Figured now was a good time to do an update.

On the squad now:

3B/DH Rafael Miranda - 4 claims violates the steal definition (3 or less), but still a nice pick up. .828 OPS last season.
1B/OF Derrick Feeney - 2 claims, so-so rookie year hitting .671 OPS, but still has a lot of room for growth.
RP Alton Fox - 1 claim, dominating rookie season. 3.05 ERA and walked away with Rookie Pitcher of the Year.
SP Teavon George - 1 claim, solid, 3.41 ERA last season.
SET Lawrence Blackburn - 1 claim, 1.98 ERA in the SET role.
SET Ernesto Flores - 3 claims, 1.191 WHIP in rookie year.
RP Jarrod Lantz - 3 claims, picked up at the end of the season, but has a career WHIP under 1.5.
2B Jesús Barron - 1 claim, slid down to a .666 OPS this season, but still have high hopes.
2B Ramiro Saldana - 2 claims, only hit .663 OPS his rookie season, but looks promising.
SP Alberto Madrid - free agent, look to be a solid starter, pitched a 1.407 WHIP last season and a 1.381 the season prior.

Still in the minors:

RP Mark Bearden - 1 claim, looking very strong in AAA.
RP Brandon Banks - 2 claims, slow growth is concerning, but still on target to hit the majors by 25.
LHS Bernardo Vallejo - free agent, difficult to get him innings, but he has been impressive when he has pitched.
Fernando Suarez - 2 claims, promising 2B prospect. Currently hitting .772 OPS in minors.
Delon 1B/DH Turner - 1 claim, hitting .803 OPS in the minors.

Off the list:

3B Rick Lynn - 1 claim, might still prove to be a steal for someone, but I cut him at the start of this season.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I was one of those three claims on Flores. Still slightly bitter I didn't end up with him. Great claim on your part, Rock.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm sure you have your share of 1 or 2 claim guys who hit it big as well ;)
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
lol Esac - I've always been in the position to rant at whoever picked up the big waiver claims - I've had an outstanding off season already, probably the best in the 24 seasons I've been playing BB. Benavides is a stud - ideally I want him to start but I imagine he may just be an elite Set/Closer.

Back to this thread topic, I picked up two last season.

McClung needs a bit more seasoning, but CF capable with massive power potential - I was the only claim.

Mostly I wanted to post about Reed - a 2 claimer who had an elite season - I can't believe he didn't get enough MVP votes to make the top 5 last season. Someone forgot to tell him that 12 speed isn't enough to steal, I thought he was going to be on track to be my first ever 30/30 guy, maybe this season with a full seasons worth of AB's. The low BC could mean that he flops, who knows!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Worst part is that III.1 was a nightmare for basestealers last season. My runners all has trouble...
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I can't complain about my waiver success so far. I have added 3 players this off season. McNutt (55 claims), Rider (11 claims) & Otero (29 claims).
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/150527

One-fifth of the way into the season, and this 1-claimer is a triple crown contender in Legends. Also playing error-free baseball at third base.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/150527

One-fifth of the way into the season, and this 1-claimer is a triple crown contender in Legends. Also playing error-free baseball at third base.

how? was it PEDs or sign stealing? ;-)
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
how? was it PEDs or sign stealing? ;-)

Accusations are harmful, Ken

Updated Wednesday, February 12 2020 @ 6:27:35 am PST
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
how? was it PEDs or sign stealing?

Accusations are harmful, Ken

Updated Wednesday, February 12 2020 @ 6:27:35 am PST

you are right, bad joke, sorry
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
4fcln4nbyy041.jpg

I couldn't format it properly but this is what that came from.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
ty!

(so much culture to absorb with this internets thing)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Figured end of the season is a good time to do an update.

On the squad now:

3B/DH Rafael Miranda - 4 claims violates the steal definition (3 or less), but still killing it. .928 OPS last season.

RP Alton Fox - 1 claim, Another strong year. 1.217 WHIP.

SET Lawrence Blackburn - 1 claim, had another great season (2.77 ERA) in the SET role. Poster child for why FIP doesn't matter (4.06 FIP < 1.223 WHIP).

SET Ernesto Flores - 3 claims, another amazing year (1.274 WHIP).

RP Jarrod Lantz - 3 claims, not as flashy as his (inherited) nickname would suggest, but still filling the LHS role nicely. Made him start 5 games at the end of the season to gain experience, which really blew up his numbers (and tripled his BFs for the season).

2B Fernando Suarez - 2 claims, had a very solid rookie season with a .716 OPS and flashes of power.

RP Mark Bearden - 1 claim, end of year call-up, still looking very promising.

Still in the minors:

RP Brandon Banks - 2 claims, still on target to hit the majors by 25, low Control rating hasn't really been reflected in minor league stats.

LHS Bernardo Vallejo - free agent, still looks to be a natural LHS with a healthy split.

Gray Zone:

1B/DH Delon Turner - 1 claim, a less than stellar AAA season (.708 OPS), but I'm still holding out hope he comes back strong this season in AAA.

SP/RP Teavon George - 1 claim, had a great ERA (3.41) last season, but fell off the boat this season (5.25). Kind of up in the air on him, but given my backlog of pitchers, its unlikely he will stay on the team.

Off my list:

1B/OF Derrick Feeney - 2 claims, so-so rookie year hitting .671 OPS with 9 HRs, but took a step backwards this year only hitting .658 with 3 HRs. At 27 I think he is a JAG.

2B Ramiro Saldana - 2 claims, a better natural defender than Barron with similar hitting stats in 2043. With Suarez coming up I had to drop one. Made the wrong choice :(

2B Jesús Barron - 1 claim, was cut in favor of Saldana (mistake), had another great season (.905 OPS), but for a different team...

SP Alberto Madrid - free agent, was a decent rental, cut to make room for new blood.

New:

SS Ken Fox - free agent, uncertain what to make of him at this point. Signed as a potential backup SS since I had a free slot at the end of the season.

I didn't win any 1 claimers this season, but what's the deal with Makoto Matsui only getting 9 claims!? How did everyone not have a claim on that monster...?

Now I have a "The Wizard" to go with my "The Barbarian" :)

Updated Monday, March 23 2020 @ 9:05:24 pm PDT
wuggla

V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
122 claims Vincete Barbosa.
No luck in off season finding 3B.
wuggla

V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
Who getting highest claim day 1
wuggla

V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
Harry Bird 2 claim day 1 3B?
hockeytrb99

Sandusky Warriors
VI.1

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/140978
Got to be one of the biggest steals iv'e had. I don't understand how nobody claimed him when he's only hit below .300 twice and one dropped in the speed category
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@hockeytrb99 A guy like Hernández, with virtually no BC or PD, more often than not seems to fail at the higher levels of the game. At age 34, I'm guessing few owners were willing to take a chance on him because of the low BC/PD and despite past successes at LLVI. I know when I search for players, I tend to filter out the guys with no BC/PD.

That said, may he put up a productive season for you, presumably in LF?

Updated Thursday, June 18 2020 @ 7:11:09 am PDT
wuggla

V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
The dumb "bot" dropped good player only 33 claims so far?
51 claims goes H.Uto good 1B 26yo he should grow fast with full starting role?

Updated Wednesday, July 8 2020 @ 7:19:15 am PDT
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Two unopposed waiver wins on the Rats right now definitely qualify.

» Carmelo Andrade — Picked up for middle relief. Used as an emergency starter early last season and performed so well he never lost the role. Closer this season (after last season’s revolving door dumpster fire trying to fill the role).

» Denny Hewitt — Picked up as a stopgap while waiting for the arrival of the 15 POT guy in the minors I’d been grooming for the position. Said 15 POT is now at third base after Hewitt turned out to be an underscouted 13 POT with an underscouted glove, and who’s pretty much the embodiment of the Rats baseball philosophy.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm bullish on this guy. Don't know why. Well I know that part of it is if he soared into the meathead big blaster his scouting report is calling for, I'd make his nickname "The Thunder From Down Under" :D
http://brokenbat.org/player/231898

Theoretically he should get a shot this year, and we can see just how potent that great hitting LH power bat is. That is, however if Prince Henry would ever show some signs of aging!
http://brokenbat.org/player/141316
tamale

Concord Jets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a few veteran FAs performing well so far this season, but for a long-term piece signed as a minor-leaguer I'm thinking Garcia qualifies.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have done very poorly when it comes to drafting Pitchers and it has showed in last couple of seasons, but now I have some kids looking like FA steals.

Aleman really broke out last season and doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Blackmon might not be as good, but can eat quality innings. He would get more ip if I weren't trying to give a few kids playing time to develop.

My 3 claim guys Lennon and Monroy are still carrying my team. Yet my 2 claim Bair might be the best of them all.
jolson3

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This guy is on waivers now. He already has 15 HR !!!
http://brokenbat.org/player/160072
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/214562

Just nabbed this one claimer. Looks like a solid build to be a good 11 pot OF. He won’t be gunning many guys down from LF with that 5 arm, but if he can get to the fly balls and hit, we’ll make a spot for him!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@JohnnyBoi62 - I doubt that guy is a POT 11. Definitely a nice find!

EDIT: Maybe he will be a POT 11 just because of this defensive skills, but still a great find. Batting looks healthy.

Updated Thursday, July 9 2020 @ 11:01:33 am PDT
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Am I delusional or is this guy a good find?

http://brokenbat.org/player/182934

Jim
jolson3

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/234627

I think this guy might be a good hitter. + Arm on D but that is it. I will play him at catcher in minors and see if he can become okay at that.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
@ JimmyW, you're not delusional nice find! I like Garza. I would like him a lot better as a primarily OF with a little 2B mixed in, but he's 29 so you get what you get now.

I think he could compete on a LL.VI team. I wouldn't play him a C though. I'd stick him in at 2B if you can, and/or just some at bats at DH. The nice thing is he's a switch hit who looks like he hits RHP well, so that gives him a lot of opportunity for getting DH at bats (as a general rule there's more RHP than LHP in leagues)
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@JohnnyBoi62 - Lavoie was a 12pot when I picked him up as a 9-claimer, and although his build is decent he never developed as quickly as I wanted. I'm also unsure about his power - is he more 2044 (3 HR/424 AB) or 2045 (13 HR/322 AB)? Plus I've pretty much avoided 11pots my entire career! Good luck with him.

@Jimmy W - Garza might play at your level, but a 29-yo won't grow much or reach his ceiling, so where's the upside? He could play CF or some 2B but I'd be looking elsewhere.

@jolson3 - Law is worth a roll of the dice at C, but no hitting comment + only above average potential limits his upside.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Garza will likely continue to grow well this season if he gets playing time. I've worked with a lot of players behind the curve, and they can continue to develop into the 30s as long as they weren't rushed through the minors.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
@Amalric part of the reason I liked Lavoie is I saw he had been a Lancer!
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/165568

Batting .301 in 591 Legends at-bats. Free agent. Guy's legit.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sup all, I had a couple one claimers last night.. a couple decent gets, hopefully something down the line with this pitcher, and something more immediately for the SS/2B even if it’s just less errors, haha..

here’s my pitcher
http://brokenbat.org/player/225577

and here is the SS/2B
http://brokenbat.org/player/178655

side note.. Ocampo has a real good nickname.. hahaha, I’m actually not gonna change it
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Ocampo doesn't look like a great batter, but if you had need of a SS it looks like he could fill the role for a few seasons.

I really like Olivarez as a potential steal. As a Fastball pitcher he was off my radar. But his HR/IP ration is actually really good. His CoS growth is good too. His Control is already pretty high given his scouting report, but I think its best to have average control with Fastball pitchers anyhow. So far he has been quite impressive in the minors.
Possibly even starter material with his current Stamina growth rate. It all depends on how far he grows into the POT 12 range. I think he could surprise some folks.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
thanks Rock, I have middling-middlinghigh hopes for him. I figure at the least I would feel comfortable with him in the longer relief role.

Ocampo is someone that I’m holding out hope to shore up my defense and play even replacement level offense... It helped me move one of my other guys to a more natural position I think.

Gotta try anything to get outta this funk.. my pitching is really struggling across the board, I wouldn’t be surprised to see significant regression from 2 of my top 3 starters at the end of the season. I’ve almost given up hope already of staying in 5, lol but I know the season isn’t much more than a quarter over, so if I could even play .500 ball the rest of the way that should save me from relegation..
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock

Thanks for the encouragement.

Platooning with Carter at catcher - hitting lefties pants but doing really well against righties...

I'll, give him some time at 2nd too.

Jim
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
I forgot that this guy was a one claimer for me:

http://brokenbat.org/player/187216

I honestly didn’t think much of him for a couple years, he just always seemed to do enough to stick around during roster cut time. But like a fine wine and/or Jennifer Aniston, Sebastian seems to get better with age!

Updated Wednesday, July 15 2020 @ 11:16:36 pm PDT
wuggla

V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
Got 1st claim on 3B McCartney today he is top10 in couple batting league best.
scowley75

Davis Devils
V.12

Broken Bat Baseball
Not super-spectacular, but:

http://brokenbat.org/player/161008

7-0 so far with a 2.42 ERA. Not a strikeout guy, but not bad at all so far this season.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice player. Although 89 claims isn't really a steal. The idea here is to call out those 1-3 claim guys (or FA) that you picked up that no one else noticed their value.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, not the right thread for lottery wins.

This is more about "On the land line" Trejo (1 claim) than Jarrod "Not from Subway" Mathews (65 claims)

With a twist ... might get someone I released in an almost rage quit a few years ago.

Updated Thursday, July 23 2020 @ 5:50:32 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Trejo was definitely a nice steal.
Detroit24

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Do you focus on attributes or stats more when looking at waivers and free agents
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Stats. But really its a combination of both.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Assume they got us ... LA(f)PD

Keeps me sharp.

This crew is good ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbBLJ1WGwQ

Updated Thursday, July 23 2020 @ 8:34:24 pm PDT
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
where do we look up the number of claims on a player we won? I’ve seen it, but I don’t remember where it was.. I think i’ve had a couple FA/single digit claims turn out for me so far
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Team > Transactions
> "Show all" if necessary

Goes back to a certain point.

"Swiss Cheese" .. has holes

(edit)

I was using "Swiss Cheese" as a rough approximation of when waiver claims were shown.

"Pasgetti" Rossetti .. stole one back (2 claims)

Might be the perfect fill in until Gabriel Bechtel "mel sauce" is ready

Updated Friday, July 24 2020 @ 12:57:32 am PDT
scowley75

Davis Devils
V.12

Broken Bat Baseball
OK, so here's the best waiver claim I ever made...solely based on his name.

He's definitely nothing to F with. :D

http://brokenbat.org/player/187807
Chicken Fillet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sure, he only has played 29 innings for us so far, but considering he only had 3 claims on the waivers, I think Burt Swanson is a steal until proven otherwise.

In fact, Floyd Schultz with me being the lone waiver claim has also been doing wonderful 22 games in.

Updated Saturday, July 25 2020 @ 3:54:25 pm PDT
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
[ID #98387] Going way back for this 2 claimer, The Duke will always be a favorite of mine!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
"Duke" Abercrombie certainly had some nice power mjhack.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, that takes me back! Abercrombie was one of the first guys I would have loved to pitch around, he gave us all fits.

We also faced Hall around that time, but thankfully just for a few seasons. Certainly made for an interesting introduction to the game!
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Almaric, Looks you moved on up and way out after those first few seasons in the lower levels. Hope to battle you again some day. You had that young hitter that just killed it.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
sup all, this guy wasn't a waiver steal or FA, but I just wanted to get some opinions on where to start training him.. his arm is OF/3B/C material, but there are no mentions of his fielding, so I’m guessing he will end up in the 12-14 range

Here he is..

http://brokenbat.org/player/261624
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
2 step plan - 1. with that arm, train him at C. 2. update nickname to Freddie
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So that’s what i had already scheduled him to start training at when he takes the field.. his CS rate is pretty absurd, over 40% too, so I feel pretty good there too..

How do I change his name? I can only see the roller of nicknames
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 You can’t give players custom nicknames until you’ve been on the site for a full year.
jezzat

Rockford Rhinos
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
He's left-handed so he'll get a penalty at C. He'd be an OF for me.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
got it, thanks AP..

That’s what I was debating about too, my surprise is his CS % even tho he is a lefty.. I think I might train him awhile at catcher through Rookie/A, then maybe around AA/AAA work back into OF.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have this guy training at Catcher. If he's really good, the penalty is just going to drop him down to the level of a good righty. Some people have righty catchers with an Arm of 16. A lefty with an Arm of 19 can't possibly be worse than that.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Figured it was time for an update on my steals.

On the squad now:

1B/OF Derrick Feeney - (2 claims) Had a rough start to his major league career, but has adapted well. Currently hitting .857 OPS.

SET Lawrence Blackburn - (1 claim) Continues to be a rock in the bullpen despite a complete lack of Control. Sporting a WHIP in the low 1.300s during his 4 seasons with the Halflings.

RP Daniel Vásquez - (3 claims) Jumped into the major leagues running. Has a 1.025 WHIP this season.

RP Mark "Baby Face" Bearden - (1 claim) Struggled a bit as a rookie, but sporting a 0.843 WHIP this season.

RP Sean Enatsu - (3 claims) Has made good progress this year and is member of Haverhill's lights out bullpen.

RP Ernesto Flores - (3 claims) Probably the worst pitcher on our staff, but still a steal with a career 1.385 WHIP in 4 seasons with Haverhill. Still uncertain if I should have cut him instead of Fox, but either one was just going to play LR2 anyhow.

LHS John "Freddy" Kruger - (3 claims) Not everyday you replace a solid 29 year old LHS with a 32 year old LHS. But Kruger is just that good. Career WHIP of 1.360 despite playing the majority of that time in a less specialized role at LL-2.

Still in the minors:

SS Ken Fox - (free agent) Has the potential to be a solid backup SS, with the bonus of being able to Catch in emergencies.

Gray Zone:

2B Fernando "Dino" Suarez - (2 claims) Has struggled a bit at the plate, but still the best 2B I've had in years. Plays versus LHP.

2B Ramiro Saldana - (2 claims) Not a good hitter, but a solid glove at 2B. Plays versus RHP.

1B/DH Delon Turner - (1 claim) Has been very poor so far in the majors, but I'm still holding out hope for him.

LHS Bernardo Vallejo - (free agent) Starting to lose confidence, but its hard to judge his performance since he never gets any playing time in the minors.

1B Silvio Feliciano - (2 claims) Rough start in the majors, but boasted a .810 OPS in the minors.

New:

OF Javier Bernal - (2 claims) Projects to be a solid OF with more power than his scouting suggests.

1B/RF Billy Bob Pauley - (2 claims) Looking promising for a future RF slot with a .813 OPS in the minors.

LF Jesús Espinoza - (2 claim) Still too young to really know, but showed good power in the amateur leagues.

Honorable Mention:

3B/DH Rafael Miranda - (4 claims) violates the steal definition (3 or less), but I'm still listing him. Had an uncharacteristic down season last year, but is back in the swing this year with a .864 OPS.

LF Javier Reyes - (4 claims) Its taken him a bit to get going, but he is finally starting to show some power. Boasting a .827 OPS this season.

Alumni:

C Taisei "Teppō" Ishii - (1 claim) The inspiration for this thread. Teppō had a decent bat, and a cannon for an arm.

1B "Ahl-Star" Rodger Ahlberg - (2 claims) Only a one year rental to fill in for Miranda while he as having his breakdown, but definitely a steal. Boasted a .851 OPS in his 1 season with Haverhill.

RP Alton Foxx - (1 claim) A real steal, had a career 1.337 WHIP for Haverhill. Still has a lot of life left in him at 29, but we just have too many good pitchers on the staff.

RP "Maniac" Jarrod Lantz - (3 claims) Still active in the league. A productive LHS with a strong split (vLHB: .159) and a solid career WHIP of 1.367.

1B/OF Don Tipton - (1 claim) A lefty with some pop, Tipton sported an OPS in the .800s for most of his time on Haverhill.

RP Alfonzo Gómez - (1 claim) A deceptive righty releiver who sported a WHIP ~1.300 during his 8 seasons with Haverhill.

RP Sam Judge - (2 claims) A POT 12, Judge had all the tools and sported a WHIP ~1.300 during his 9 seasons with the Halflings.

Updated Saturday, August 1 2020 @ 7:27:51 pm PDT
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
lol appreciate you posting those Alumni Rock, haha I’ve been one the lookout for another reliever.. Alton Foxx’s price is a little expensive, but for 40% of a season, I’ll pay the $1.3m for him the rest of the way.

lol I don’t know if you noticed, you dropped him exactly one year to the day you picked him up
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He is a bit expensive, but I bet he does well for you.
Detroit24

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How long do you look through the waivers and how often do you try to sign people?
Detroit24

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How long do you look through the waivers and how often do you try to sign people?
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i look several times a week.. especially thursday-Saturday/Sunday.. people will drop some players to get an opening for the draft. I believe also the CPU teams will drop good, but players on the more expensive side, so I check for them.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
lol Rock, Foxx had 2 1/3 scoreless, 1 hit relief innings to pick up a W his first game in for me, haha..
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I usually look at least every other day, mostly because there isn't a good way to look at just one day's players. It helps so that I am only looking at the same players twice instead of four days in a row.

It can take quite a bit of time, especially since (again) there isn't a good way to just look at one day's players, and there are always hundreds of players on the list for me to evaluate.

As an aside, I usually try to keep any nicknames a player comes with (unless I really hate it). Only three of those nicknames above were granted by me: Teppō, Dino, and Baby Face.

Teppō because he was a Japanese Hand Cannon.

Dino because I wanted to be able to rub it in Seca's face if "Dino" Suarez (a Dinosaurs cut) became any good.

And Baby Face because he doesn't have a Beard.

The others were all inherited from previous owner.

Updated Saturday, August 1 2020 @ 7:36:08 pm PDT
Detroit24

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Is there a way to see where players that you put waiver claims on signed?
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
i don't think so. The easiest way to track if you're really interested in a guy is to bookmark them (click little envelope logo to the right of their name on their profile), and then check your "Tools" tab the day after and see where they ended up.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Here are my highlights:

SP Emilio Cervantes (21 claims) ---- Was a 2045 All-star...has pitched over 1000 innings with the Vikings...sports a 3.71 ERA and 4.21 FIP for his career. We claimed him at age 18, he is now 30.

RP Jean Robert Duvalier (6 claims) ---- 2044 All-Star, lifetime 3.63 ERA as a bulk reliever. He has surpassed 120 innings in each of the past four seasons despite being a releiver. Great changeup pitcher.

SP Rodrigo Andrade (8 claims) --- We claimed him to fill a gap in the rotation this year. He responded by posting a 2.66 ERA so far and making an All-Star game.

LF Marcos Diaz (101 claims) ---- One of the most famous waivers players, he was roundly criticized as being overrated on the forums here. With 244 career steals, 3 All-Star games, and a decent lifetime slash line, I'm happy with him. He's been awesome this year, with an OPS higher than 1.000.

The fact is though, I have very few waiver claims on my team. It used to be a staple of my teams that I would piece together a pitching staff out of waiver claims and somehow be successful. But I stuck with a lot of reliever prospects that ~95% of managers would have cut, like Walt Weeks or Dave Funk, and it's paid off mightily.

Updated Monday, August 3 2020 @ 8:34:38 pm PDT
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Those are waiver wins, not waiver steals, heh; the thread is meant for free agents and unopposed waiver claims. ^.~

That said, I’m happy Duvalier landed somewhere he’s been doing some good. ^.^
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Double post.

Updated Monday, August 3 2020 @ 8:43:49 pm PDT
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Haha fair. I was originally coming to post Cervantes because I could have sworn he was unopposed but I checked the log and it said 21 claims.

I really don't have the same guys I used to.

Lawson was a great waiver steal though. Was unopposed waiver claim, and won the Cy Young in his final season, scoring two all-star games with us.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I don’t know that I’d exactly call Richard Genovese a “steal” given the price tag attached to him, but his performance this season has been exceptional after transitioning from starter to middle reliever partway through last season — and in the three seasons I’ve had him, his ERA has only been going down.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
By far the worst guy on my squad when I cut him. With your pitcher friendly park, imagine what your team would be like if you actually had good pitchers in your pen ;)
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 It’s times like this where I wonder just how much effect the manager really has. Morrison was kinda “meh” with pitchers; McAndrews is about as good as they get.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, manager and ballpark I suspect are both increasing his performance.

He always had a decent GB/FB, but it was crazy high this season. Competition might have played some role this season.

Still wouldn't make my roster :p

Updated Monday, August 24 2020 @ 5:02:03 pm PDT
Mesh77

Aurora Invaders
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
And speaking of high-priced FAs not exactly being steals, how about a catcher making nearly $6M?

Renteria was worth every cent. After the collection of spare parts I put out at C in 2045, he not only locked down the position but absolutely raked, and even gave me a better CS%. Admittedly he hit something like 26 of his homers in the first 40 games, but that's often the difference between finishing second, five wins off first, and demoting. He's staying through rollover until update #0 at least.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The steal part is more about finding a guy no one else saw potential in. So AP's definitely counts as a steal for his team. The definition I threw out there when I started the thread was 3 claims or less, but sometimes we fudge ;)

A lot of my ex-pitchers become steals for other teams. I pick up a lot of underrated pitchers, so then they go under the radar when they get released. Alton Foxx is another good example from this season.

I released another good guy near the end of this season who could easily end up being a steal for some team after the flip ;)

Updated Friday, August 28 2020 @ 7:59:33 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
6 claims doesn't officially count as a steal, but I still don't know how Hubbard (SS) went for only 6 claims... His build looks perfect. Maybe his subpar fielding performance in the minors?

Regardless, with veteran SS Scanlon falling to pieces at the ripe old age of 27, Brady failing to make the transition to major league pitchers, and Hamel still trying to learn the position (and looking very unpromising at the plate), Hubbard is going to get his shot to prove all the doubters wrong in III-1 this season.

Ouija7

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was after Hubbard myself, but again as usual I’ve had no successful claims at all the whole pre season, that’s 3 straight seasons with no successful claims 😖

I do ok during the season picked up a few decent ones but before the season starts I’m luckless

Updated Monday, September 7 2020 @ 12:50:04 am PDT

Updated Monday, September 7 2020 @ 12:51:50 am PDT
tamale

Concord Jets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Was also part of the losing five. Still like the look of him, think he might end up better than both Griffiths and Solis, both of whom I won on many more claims.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
as of today, pot11 1-claim Flores is the HR Leaders in Legends,
2nd in SLG, and 3rd in OPS.

he's a DH/1B, obviously
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow! 25 HRs already.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
7 HRs in his last 50 PA
unsustainable
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's really impressive for an advertised 11-Pot!

As Rock says, some of these numbers are not true - witness stats and 25 homers!

I thought Buckley my shortstop was doing ok at 23 - but he's a 14-Pot.

All the best with him for the rest of the season.

Jim
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Flores's line over the last 50 PA:
Flores 41 21 5 1 8 20 8 1 4 0 0 .512 .600 1.268 1.868 Very Hot

8 HRs, 1.868 OPS
awesome
yet, not inspiring: he will soon crash
I'm sure
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You never know. Those low BC guys always scare me. Seems like they can flip on a dime. But sometimes they just do well all season long.

Give Flores a little bit more BC, and he is a coveted POT 12 instead of an overlooked POT 11. A little luck with the RNG could easily counterbalance that one factor. If he is making contact, he's a monster.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
oh, well
Flores is NOT done yet:

3/4 (+2 Walks), 2 HRs, 8 RBIs in a 21-run Win

Updated Saturday, October 24 2020 @ 4:14:12 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I heard Flores is a distraction in the ball club though. And he is missing a lot of intangibles. You should probably get rid of him before he causes a scandal. Probably trade him to a LL-3 team. Maybe Haverhill?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Time for an update on my steals.

On the squad now:

Closer Mark "Baby Face" Bearden - (1 claim) Struggled mightily at the end of this season giving up a number of HRs and blowing quite a few saves. But is still sporting a sub 2.50 ERA as he has in the last three seasons. Took over Closing duties last season and has a total of 86 saves with only 12 blown in the last two seasons combined.

DH/1B Silvio Feliciano - (2 claims) Still developing, Feliciano has really proved his worth in the last two seasons with an OPS ~850. Only in against Lefties.

SET Lawrence Blackburn - (1 claim) Continues to be a rock in the bullpen despite a complete lack of Control. Sporting a career 2.84 ERA over seven seasons.

RP Daniel Vásquez - (3 claims) Continues to perform at a high level with a WHIP of 1.320 over the last four seasons.

DH/1B Shi Woo Kim - (1 claim) Kim may become my starting 1B in the future. It may seem risky at 4 Fielding, but he did well in the minors, and he had a very solid rookie season at the plate.

Still in the minors:

OF/1B
Danny Paul - (3 claims) Somewhat pedestrian minor league numbers. We are still keeping our hopes pinned on Paul becoming a contributor.

OF Luis Mesa - (2 claims) Jury is still out on Mesa. He missed a couple seasons due to being deployed overseas, but his development still seems to be on track. His performance has been a bit inconsistent however.

OF/1B Ricardo Tapia- (1 claim) Has shown some promise. We are optimistic.

Gray zone:

2B Ramiro Saldana - (2 claims) A very solid glove at 2B, Saldana really ratcheted up the power this season with 19 HRs in only 387 ABs. But overall he has been fairly average.

2B Fernando "Dino" Suarez - (2 claims) My vLHP 2B, Dino slipped a bit offensively this season. Still a solid grab at 2 claims.

1B/DH Delon Turner - (1 claim) Has been sub-par in the majors, but not bad for 1 claim.

New:

LHS Caesar Rosado - (3 claim) Caesar was utilized as a RP most of his career, but Haverhill saw his huge split and immediately recognized his value as a LHS.

Back from the dead:

RP Alton Foxx - (1 claim/Free Agent) A real steal, had a career 1.337 WHIP for Haverhill before being let go. Journeyed around the league for a bit before returning as a Free Agent to help a struggling Halfling team avoid relegation last season, and cement a promotion this season.

Alumni:

C Taisei "Teppō" Ishii - (1 claim) The inspiration for this thread. Teppō had a decent bat, and a cannon for an arm.

1B "Ahl-Star" Rodger Ahlberg - (2 claims) Only a one year rental to fill in for Miranda while he as having his breakdown, but definitely a steal. Boasted a .851 OPS in his 1 season with Haverhill.

RP "Maniac" Jarrod Lantz - (3 claims) Still active in the league. A productive LHS with a strong split (vLHB: .159) and a solid career WHIP of 1.367.

1B/OF Don Tipton - (1 claim) A lefty with some pop, Tipton sported an OPS in the .800s for most of his time on Haverhill.

RP Alfonzo Gómez - (1 claim) A deceptive righty releiver who sported a WHIP ~1.300 during his 8 seasons with Haverhill.

RP Sam Judge - (2 claims) A POT 12, Judge had all the tools and sported a WHIP ~1.300 during his 9 seasons with the Halflings.

Updated Monday, January 25 2021 @ 6:54:30 pm PST
El jefe

Urbana Cubs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Am I missing something on this fella? Surprised he only had 1 claim (me) since he can play a serviceable outfield. Don't think he'll be a superstar but good hitter with some speed

http://brokenbat.org/player/242904
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@el jefe

you've got a solid player yes, nice pick.

a lot of other teams, mine included, have prospects like him. Or expect to add ones like that through the first few rounds of the draft...or maybe even better...some risk taking going on.

AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 As a fan of aggressive runners, I was almost in on him. If I didn’t already have other outfield prospects with better range, I would have given you some competition.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah he looks good. I'd say his biggest knock is being a righty OF. There tend to be a lot of those guys on the market. But he looks like a potential steal to me.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@ el jefe, great steal. I looked at him, but OF isn't an area of need for me. Nice pick up
jclemen2

Mount Prospect Skeletons
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Bill Bailey was a 1 claim player from the 2045 draft class. He is currently in AA for me. When I claimed him in 2047 his year to date numbers in A were 330/368/583 with 6 HR in 103 AB and a .59 GB/FB rate. In roughly 1 2/3 seasons in AA with me he has hit around 310/375/500 and a .70 GB/FB rate with 31 HR and 45 2b in around 750 AB

He's a switch hitter also which is appealing. 12 potential with average or below average fielding, speed, and arm so I think that leaves some room for hitting skills. If he can reach 100 SI that should be around 16/11/13/15 ratings for the hitting ratings.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
His BC growth makes me nervous, but he looks like a solid LF steal.
El jefe

Urbana Cubs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I picked up both of these fellas a few seasons back "on the cheap", and have to say I am quite conflicted on what to do with them. Both "learned all they can" at AAA during last season but clearly the big attributes aren't ready for primetime. Given where they are in their development, I doubt they can ever get to a serviceable level of SI in the big attributes........however, both have a strong stats history that tell me I should think about hanging on to them. Thoughts?

http://brokenbat.org/player/246198
http://brokenbat.org/player/250307
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
So, I would advise hold onto them if you can. Although they say that they are ready now, your Prospect page says their ETA is 2050, so keeping them in AAA another season or 2 would help.

Also, they are 22 and 23, meaning they have another 2-3 seasons before you really have to make a judgement as to whether they’re ready or whether they need a different place to go.

So I would advise that you let them grow in the minors for a bit longer, and then revisit them.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Sometimes the ratings are pretty far off from reality. I think Ceja may be ready. 14 Movement is pretty good for AAA. Probably ok to keep him down for a little longer if you don't want him in the pen yet, but he will improve quicker pitching in the majors.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh yeah, the ratings are *beep*ed.

The 3rd best prospect in my system, in my opinion, is Hank Perdue. He’s dead last in the ratings.

You gotta wonder why it’s there if it doesn’t give great info.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
At the start of the 2047 season, I picked up Orlando Avila when I was the only one to put a waiver claim on him. 2 All Star awards, 2 All League awards and one MVP later....my club is still hanging on in III.4...barely.

He was a steal and it's a fair guess I'd have demoted last season without him.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
The same Orlando Avila that was developed and dropped early by Boulder only to thrive in Concord and later Kalamazoo? *checks*. Yep, that guy. Sigh.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would have cut him too at that point. That low BC makes him incredibly streaky. But he really pulled it together after leaving Boulder. That power certainly is helping his OPS.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Horace Bach was a 3 claimer at the flip, currently hitting .327-10-28-1.015 OPS, I know low BC guys can be incredibly streaky but what Prattville needs is streaks. Sucks that, if the play by play is right, he injured himself trotting around the bases after hitting the walk-off homer against Indianapolis :(
wuggla

V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
Waivers hunting 27-31yo min 13pot 105SI NP. Woo! talent total great this day has good talent! I got 5cliams in before September deadline
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I hope I Noah Feller that may some day make you regret making room for that many claims ;)

Another interesting FA ... Alex Kline
If I had gotten ahold of him earlier, he might have been the next "Shadow" Knight

wuggla

V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I'd
Yet to win waivers WHO won that 105cliams last night???
El jefe

Urbana Cubs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Really excited about this guy - http://brokenbat.org/player/285573

Only 4 waiver claims!
El jefe

Urbana Cubs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Lakeland got both Figueroa and Chavez
http://brokenbat.org/transactions/192

Joliet got Pope
http://brokenbat.org/player/209896

Updated Friday, April 23 2021 @ 11:23:28 am PDT
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I was in on Soto. Hope he does really well for you El Jefe.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I was also in on Soto. And I have a lot of recent low claims/FAs that I have hope in. Like, a lot.

Murphy figures to be our long-term solution for catcher, as long as he can keep up those minor league stats, while Moreno will be a fine backup, switch-hitting catcher. Morgan and Lukáč are here to be alternatives in case one or both of those players flop.

We got a trio of lefty first basemen in Morales, Prado and Baird, though the latter is a fringe prospect, Gomez appears to be the 2B of the future and will get up to the majors at about the time that All-Star Vélez is getting old, Hatfield, who can play 4 positions, should be a nice fill-in player, while Hess should be that player when he gets up.

Updated Friday, April 23 2021 @ 1:28:55 pm PDT
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How does Hubert Gale not have any verbal scouting report comment about his 18 MOV slider?
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
That’s an excellent question. I saw that and I said, “The *beep*???”
El jefe

Urbana Cubs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
hurstdm, because he sucks :)

Godspeed to whoever gets him in waivers

Updated Friday, April 30 2021 @ 11:56:35 am PDT
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
How does Hubert Gale not have any verbal scouting report comment about his 18 MOV slider?

That's between you and the cow ;)
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Cubs: hurstdm, because he sucks

You know who blows? Hubert Gale, that's who.
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, regardless of the lack of a report, anyone would be happy to have that guy, surely?

I sure could use him. Just let go a team HoF because he was 33, declining and made nearly 2 mil. a year. Mr. Gale there basically copies his statline, just with more balance. Godspeed indeed to whoever gets him in about five hours' time.
timothy

West Fargo Turtles
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
FA signing in 2045 - "The Curaçaon God of Walks"
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
This man is going above and beyond his scouting ..

"Neon" Deion Hudgins
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
He only has one homer to his name thus far, but I'm loving what FA signing Hanlon is bringing to the table.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have my fingers crossed on 1-claimer Bartolomé Ortíz. Not the best Range for a 2B, but he's shown a penchant for power. 10 HRs in 189 ABs in the majors. That puts him on pace for 30 per year. I could live with that :) And his minor league pace was similar, so his indicators look good.

Updated Friday, May 14 2021 @ 11:55:01 am PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Proof it can happen. I picked this guy up as a 19y kid on the Free Agent pool as a POT 12. I signed him because the math said that he was more than a POT 12 and I liked his build. He's popped POT twice and his now a POT 14 and still gaining at 28y. https://brokenbat.org/player/198788
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Once you've played a while, finding those guys becomes the fun part of it all. The best player I ever had was an 8 claim 13 POT who popped to 14 in the minors.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hanlon was born to be a Lancer.

Ortiz is interesting. His power didn't really manifest until he was (arguably) over age / over developed for his placement.

But his GB:FB has trended the right direction as he's developed. Reason to think there is something behind the power.

Trying out new 2B suggests Suarez wore out his welcome.

Love is pretty sweet for a 1-claimer. That was the first year of the new draft when everyone's rosters were jammed. Jealous of those who were able to go gem shopping at the time.

Once you've played a while, finding those guys becomes the fun part of it all

Ya. Panning 11 pots for gold is what the game has become about for me.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, "Dino" Suarez was never more than an average 2B. A good defender, but he slipped up quite a bit last season (along with most of the team). Ortiz looks like he has some upside, but desperately needs playing time. Can't have two vLHP 2B on the roster at the same time ;)
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. Panning 11 pots for gold is what the game has become about for me.

When there are no more worlds to conquer... :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Shi Woo Kim has been a fantastic 1-claim pickup for Haverhill.
wuggla

V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/171226
They don't have all-star potential player in "Free Agency" happy picks!
bennett777

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i cut the 27 yr old pitcher cause im rebuilding, wanted him to have success elsewhere, cangrats to whomever won the waiver
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
How long a rebuild are you planning!? That guy would have been a super star for your team for at least 6 more seasons. I'll never understand teams who put themselves through a 5 year rebuild. Doesn't seem like much fun to me. At the very least I would keep a few star players around.

Why not cut Owen? More expensive and EOL at 35 years old.

If you are curious, Boulder (Legends) picked him up.

Updated Wednesday, June 2 2021 @ 12:17:19 am PDT
Chicken Fillet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I honestly don't know how people let go some of the players I see on waivers. I always have the hardest time to even let go my most average players.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I currently have Shawn Currier. Picked him up as a free agent with the intent of him being a backup outfielder or emergency second baseman. He wound up getting auto-assigned the #99 of Rats Hall of Famer Mateo Sepúlveda — who appeared on this same thread many seasons ago, incidentally — and is doing his damnedest to live up to that jersey number. As to whether he’s a steal, only time will tell, but he’s off to a promising start and has earned a starting role in the outfield.

Updated Wednesday, June 2 2021 @ 3:38:36 pm PDT
Bennett11

Pittsburgh Pirates
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
yea i have hard time cutting, especially young pitcher
bennett777

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
im planning on a 7 yr rebuild that will take alot of time but will work, plus green needed to got to a contender
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Felder has been a nice FA pickup. Only grabbed him as a replacement when I lost my Ace for 40 games, but he's done well enough to retain his place on the squad now that my Ace is coming back :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow... Kim just hit 20 Power... Possibly my best 1-claim pickup of all time?

Shi Woo Kim

Hitting: 18
Bat Control: 19
Plate Discipline: 16
Power: 20

Looking forward to seeing what his new Power does for him with that 0.65 GB/FB :)
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
With pickups like those, who needs the draft? xD Armendariz also gained +1 Pow at age 29. He likes to hit ground balls though
Alyksandur

Boca Raton Gryphons
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
 Two in particular stand out on the current Gryphon’s roster.

First, Alexander D`Agostino. Three time All-Star, four time Gold Glove winner, top three spots on the single-season stolen bases leaderboard (and took over the club’s all-time stolen base count at age twenty-nine, two seasons ago). He stole seventy-five bases in ’49, and that was an off year by his standards; he’s taken triple digits twice in his career.

Second, Bryan Devine. Not exactly Gold Glove material at second base, but serviceable enough. He’s got a couple of All-Star selections under his belt and made credible bid for the MVP in the past two seasons, finishing in the top five. Decent power, a sub-1.00 GB/FB, not afraid to run (though I should probably turn his stealing down a notch), and at the prime of his career. Oh, did I mention he was supposedly a 12 POT? Apparently he isn’t anymore.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have so many 1 claimers, I'll only go over the FA signings.

Bradley was a former VI.30 ROTY (in fact, he won it in my first season managing the team), I got him at the beginning of '50, and he's been a fine defensive outfielder who can hit against lefties.

Foster, another former Rooke pf the Year in LL6, had a much better rookie season than Bradley (who averaged less than 1 AB per team game), but by 29, he became very expendable and I got him for minimum salary. His ERA has shot up recently, but he's been one of 2 bullpenners I can trust.

Velez, who I never would have signed nowadays (bad minors stats, bad pros stats, 26 yo, 12 POT with no power rating as of 2048), and I still don't know why I let him get through '48 on my team, as .239/.318/.340 isn't enough to combat 29 SB), but he made the '49 roster... And then promptly made the All-Star roster. He switched to 2B early in the season, despite having very little experience, but he's been an excellent leadoff hitter for the past 3 years and popped to 13 POT.

Wilkins was also signed in '48 and has played 7 positions (C, 2B, 3B, CF, LF, RF, DH), been a good defender, and a power hitter. He's never been an awe-inspiring player, but he does what he needs to do.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe not good enough to pitch in legends, but Eden generously released Drew Harvey, who is the best pitcher on my staff. He doesnt get used as much as the other guys, because he's near his SI peak, but I am hoping he can start next season

https://brokenbat.org/player/247567
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
On a similar vein, I would like to submit Masao Harada, generously released by the Lahaina Mules, and who I picked up in pre-season last season. He's been my best starter for two season and started two straight all star games.

Was unlucky with his W/L rate last season, but he's already 10-2 on the season.

Might not have that many years left in him, but he was a good, cheap, veteran pickup who really provided some stability in a starting lineup that I have gotten some huge improvement out of after cutting to 33-year olds who got to expensive for their production.

So my deepest thanks to the Mules. You saved my starting lineup and are helping me make a run for LL4.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Lopez is one of our best waiver signs ever. First career All Star game at age 34. One of 10(!!!) Viking All Stars.

Updated Wednesday, August 18 2021 @ 7:13:52 pm PDT
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Double post

Updated Wednesday, August 18 2021 @ 7:11:00 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Seems like a good time for update on Haverhill's steals (3 claims or less).

On the squad now:

DH/1B Shi Woo Kim - (1 claim!) Has grown into a monster (18 Hitting, 19 BC, 16 PD, 20 Power) and may still be growing. Currently in 2nd place in our league for HRs with 19 at the All-Star break. Huge talent for the team. Hard to believe Haverhill was the only claimant for this guy.

Closer Mark "Baby Face" Bearden - (1 claim) Age is starting to catch up, but he is still a solid closer with over 200 saves (only 31 blown), and a career WHIP of 1.128.

SP Stuart Felder - (Free Agent) Signed by Haverhill as a rental when our Ace when down for 40 games. Felder has impressed with a sub 1.300 WHIP and earned a permanent spot in the rotation.

DH/1B Silvio Feliciano - (2 claims) Has slowed down a bit in recent years, but still sports a .785 career OPS. Platoons against Lefties.

LHS Caesar Rosado - (3 claim) Utilized as a RP most of his career, but Haverhill saw his huge split and immediately recognized his value as a LHS. He had a rough season in 2049, but overall he has been a solid contributor at LHS sporting a sub 1.300 WHIP during his time at Haverhill.

Gray zone:

OF/1B Danny Paul - (3 claims) Has shown continued improvement in the majors. I'm optimistic.

1B/OF Carl Leahy - (2 claims) Has grown into a solid contributor with 750+ OPS in the last two seasons.

Prospects:

2B Jorge Trevino - (2 claims) Struggling in his first year in the majors, but I'm optimistic he can become a solid 2B.

2B Félix Santos - (2 claims) Could be a decent 2B platoon against lefties.

SP Peter Kee - (3 claims) Has very impressive minor league numbers. We'll see if they translate. Control is a bit concerning.

RP Luke Carroll - (1 claim) Has been a bit inconsistent, but has good potential.

SP Alfredo "Kid" Rangel - (2 claims) Has some very nice minor league numbers.

Alumni:

RP Alton Foxx - (1 claim/Free Agent) A double steal, had a career 1.337 WHIP for Haverhill before being let go. Journeyed around the league for a bit before returning as a Free Agent to help a struggling Halfling team avoid relegation.

RP "Maniac" Jarrod Lantz - (3 claims) Still active in the league. A productive LHS with a strong split and a solid career WHIP of 1.308.

RP Alfonzo Gómez - (1 claim) A deceptive righty reliever who sported a WHIP ~1.300 during his 8 seasons with Haverhill.

RP Sam Judge - (2 claims) Had all the tools and sported a WHIP ~1.300 during his 9 seasons with the Halflings.

SET Lawrence Blackburn - (1 claim) A rock in the bullpen despite a complete lack of Control. Setup man for most of his career, Blackburn sported a career 2.94 ERA over eight seasons and a WHIP in the low 1.300 during his time at Haverhill.

Updated Thursday, August 19 2021 @ 2:41:51 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Honorable Mention:

1B/DH "Sunny" Jack Meadows - (? claims) Way back in the days before BB kept track of claims, "Sunny" Meadows floated around between a lot of teams before landing on Haverhill at 26 years old. He had an immediate impact on the team and led Haverhill to Legends. Sported a career .869 OPS.

Updated Thursday, August 19 2021 @ 2:26:58 pm PDT
crash_davis

Williston Pioneers
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I was the only one to put a claim on "Big" Dirk Cody (http://brokenbat.org/player/238769, and he's been destroying right-handed pitchers. As a 26 y/o rookie, he made it into the All-Star game and could be in the race for the batting title. When he first joined the team, he was a singles-hitting machine, but now that he's improved his GB/FB ratio, he's getting more extra base hits
texasoutlaw89

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/228943

Picked up this guy as a FA in the middle of the 2049 season. He was serviceable in a platoon role that year, but really broke out last year. 32 dingers, 100 RBI's, and so far this year shows no signs of slowing down. .924 OPS thus far.

http://brokenbat.org/player/214673

Picked up Chavez as a waiver claim (9 claims) over the past winter, and he's been rock solid in the rotation 12 out of 17 starts have been quality, punching out almost a batter an inning, and holding rightys under the Mendoza line.

http://brokenbat.org/player/181457

Also managed to grab Broussard over the past winter. He's largely been in a platoon role playing against lefties. He's raked overall .301/.382/.568, with an OPS of 1.132 against lefties.

Updated Friday, August 20 2021 @ 1:39:27 pm PDT
nxck98

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/275854

What position(s) should I train him in?
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
3B.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 So I mentioned Shawn Currier earlier on this thread as a possible waiver steal. Last season? All-Star, All League, .330/.364/.468/.833, 56 stolen bases, and finished third in the MVP race.

…Yep, pretty sure that qualifies.
Rusty Cleats

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
^ jeez, nice production for $750,000 salary for the year

Previous Page | Show Page |