Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2039 Draft — Round 2   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Just landed Luis Versalles in the second round. I think he’ll do.
Luizmussa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, got a 14 POT Outfielder out of the High School pool... 18 years old...
Here is Javier Heredia
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I had 0 Pitchers and exactly 1 player with Good or higher potential to choose from and he turned into an 11 potential SS with a Range of 7.

How is a player like that even allowed to be pulled from the draft pool in Round 2? Talk about a kick in the pants for a new team trying to build up their talent base.

http://brokenbat.org/player/192340
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Had one VG option, so had to take him. Very Good is overstating his true potential, but he's not a bad looking pitching prospect.

http://brokenbat.org/player/192337

Updated Friday, January 4 2019 @ 5:56:45 am PST
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Round 2 draft:
Only 1 pitcher available. He had no scouting report.

Only a few position players with "good" reports. One had only good... no other qualifiers. One looked like an ok catcher prospect, the other looked like a middle infielder who cannot hit.

Grabbed the "good" Catcher prospect who turned out to be 11 pot.

This is where the problem is.

Cc Official Draft Change Discussion
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I got all junk options per norm. Picked the best of the junk, an "Above Average" POT 10 C&R.
StretchDynamo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So I had 3 good looking pitching prospects.

1) Strike Out Pitcher, Major League Breaking Ball, Limited Innings, Above Avg Potential

2) Fastball with pop, Major league breaking ball, Good potential

3) Fastball with pop, major league breaking ball, limited innings, Very Good potential

I ended up going with option 1 http://brokenbat.org/player/192445
because his fastball is supposed to be top tier, and as a reliever candidate, that was more important to me than his potential. That combined with the fact he's a 6'7'' lefty helped. I questioned the very good player because he had a worse looking make-up than the above avg besides the potential. Ultimately, I'm not upset with the choice at all. Although Melton is slightly underdeveloped for age 22, I think in a couple years he will be a good set up man or closer.

Updated Friday, January 4 2019 @ 6:58:37 am PST
Luizmussa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The one thing I learned along all this years playing BB: you ALWAYS go with the Very Good option, no matter the position, no matter the lack of control, no matter the limited innings.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I might not pick a Very Good that "can never be a decent hitter", but generally that is good advice. I very rarely have a "Very Good" option on my board, so its generally a no brainier for me if one does pop up.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
F****** Rd 2
no "good potentials" even
only 2 "above average"
I took 1 of them though neither were in positions that I wanted. I got this useless s***.

I was seriously thinking of taking a player that only had "limited to only a few innings". Seems like I should have.

I might be done with this game. Steve -- please fix the draft by the start of next season. There is hardly any skill in the draft, yet it is so vital in fielding a good team.

GullyFoyle

Spokane Wolves
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Had a couple of very goods. Not sure how many goods but at least two of those.

Chose the very good pitcher: http://brokenbat.org/player/192335

Second 13 pot pitcher in a row, so not displeased so far.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not a terrible pick, but he’s not better than anyone in my minors so I cut him. Someone may find him worth developing.

http://brokenbat.org/player/192339
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I mean ... what do you do? You have to give him a season minimum, right? I've never seen a college player so far behind in development, but a 14 POT SP with a movement pitch is tough to throw away immediately. But even with 10 SI a season... *shrug* Damn shame.
Shoeless Joe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Despite having a lot of young pitching talent in my minors during this rebuild, I couldn't pass up on:

He can have a major league fastball. His slider can be exceptional. He will have the stamina to be a starting pitcher. He has very good overall potential.

Looking forward to when this guy gets the call to the Show.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was hesitant with two players, one with a intriguing scouting report but AA pot and the one I picked: http://brokenbat.org/player/192428

He's a pot 13, but I don't like the build. No defensive home, right handed hitter without power.
I'll see if he can swipe bags, at least, but he's a candidate to be dropped.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@wickersty - That's a tough one. L/R are really valuable, in the field, but that guy could really only aspire to 3B. But to get enough Fielding for 3B a POT 12 is likely going to fall short on the batting side. Probably the right choice, but I would have felt bad not giving him a test run.

Then again... I have a similar guy training at 3B right now. And the fact he has hit well just makes it that much harder to cut him...
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
2B Great Britain pot12
Mesh77

Palo Alto Invaders
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Pity this guy is all lefty, but I'll certainly take it. I have a bunch of 3B and that's a lot of fielding to 'waste' at 1B or C, but the range isn't great for OF though that (or 3B) is where he'll likely end up.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Haven't seen a very good this draft season so happy to have got a 13 POT in round one.

This round wasn't a bad pick but underwhelming for round two, 12 POT SP. Not sure he'll last.
Jwrose

Parma Dodgers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven you have to wonder how in the world a 22yr old college pitcher is that underdeveloped. I mean,he must have had tommy john surgery his freshman and still hasn’t recovered right? Lol
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@jwrose: At least that would make sense. As is, I'm finding it difficult to explain why his SI is so low. I'm guessing there are some mins and maxes plugged into each draft pool, and on average you have something like mid-50s to upper 60s for college players. The thirties must be the lowest end of the scale, right? It's definitely a first for my eyes. Or at least I think so. Let's try something.

Here is that old dataset from my 2035, Round 1 draft research.

I set up a filter to show only the college players. There were 150 of them. Here are the starting SI values for the top 10 lowest:

This means that out of those 150 college players, only four players had starting SI of 39 or less, or 2.7%. Additionally, I ran the AVERAGE of the starting SI for all 150 players: 63.1, which is right within that range I stated earlier. (By the way, on the other end of the spectrum, there were only three players out of 150 who had starting SI 90 or greater.)

All that's to say that it's not unheard of to have a college player with a starting SI in the thirties, but I definitely dug into the very bottom percentile. :/

Updated Saturday, January 5 2019 @ 7:25:47 am PST
Curveball

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/192687

14 POT pitcher

This is now back to back 14 POT in rd 1 & 2

http://brokenbat.org/draft/553
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Very impressive @Curveball. Almost identical scouting reports too.

Congrats!
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven - don't be too disheartened by it, as a comparison Hayagawa was drafted with 50 SI, in AAA, I made him spend a lot of extra time in AAA but he's only 1 SI away from hitting his potential.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@JJNZ: Hooooly! Those gains! *eyes bug out*
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
There is a lad on waivers at the moment that gained 45 SI in the majors. IIRC the most I've seen is 60. I would be more worried about Houser's HR ratio after the season than his current SI.

Dinos had 2 VG pitchers on the board. Both 18 yr righties. Took the one with more upside in the scouting report. Also has some work to do gaining SI, but an arm with some upside is welcome.

Side note: took a pitcher from the Asian pool in week 1. Rarely use that pool. Had a realistic feel to it. Much more "what did we get" then a guy that works through the minors. Has had a good spring. Will break with the big club in the bullpen.
tdawg1413

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This was a nice one to get

http://brokenbat.org/player/192379
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
My draft pick
Luizmussa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, 12POT very good players. That should be forbidden.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
A 12 POT Very Good is most likely really an inaccurately rated 13 POT.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Stating your theories as fact is a bad practice. I believe the game's statements.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe the manual:

So are the skill values displayed for each player accurate? Just as in real baseball, where there is some uncertainty about a player's talent level, in Broken Bat there is also built-in uncertainty in displayed skill levels. The visible skill values for each player are an approximation of his current actual skill level and may deviate by up to 20% from it true value for some skills.

Pretty pathetic if you still think ratings are 100% accurate after this many seasons of playing the game, LOL.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Stating your theories as fact is a bad practice.

Says the guys that is constantly stating this theories as fact, LOL!
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, 12POT very good players. That should be forbidden.

I'm running 10/28 12 pot on my major league roster this season (36%). Have another 8 12 pot guys in the minors.

Embrace the 12 pots!
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I never said the reports are 100% accurate. You said...

A 12 POT Very Good is most likely really an inaccurately rated 13 POT.

That is your theory. I say that's hogwash and trust the stated numerical potential rating to be the most reliable predicting factor for SI.

Fact as stated by Steve--The VG rating is given before the player is fully created.

My inference--If the draft spawns bad luck for the previously undetermined skills of a VG player, they end up as lowly 12's.

Updated Thursday, January 10 2019 @ 2:14:48 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL. You really are clueless. You can keep ignoring the obvious gaping hole in your "logic" if you like. More advantage to me :)

EDIT: Can't resist, giving a hint, LOL

Fact as stated by Steve--The VG rating is given before the player is fully created.

Updated Thursday, January 10 2019 @ 8:26:20 pm PST

Previous Page | Show Page |