Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2040 Draft   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
5L1NK

Farmington Hills Cardinals
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
So I drafted a 16 year old college draftee?

http://brokenbat.org/player/196980

Interesting
Luizmussa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Same problem here!!!

Even though its a 15 POT High Schooler

Updated Friday, March 22 2019 @ 5:41:28 am PDT
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Entire draft is 16 years old...not functioning as intended...
munciestan

Walnut Creek Cardinals
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Same issue for me. Is this one of the changes made in the draft??
atomic

Sunnyvale Rebels
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Besides of that (16old from college), I've only had one guy whose potential was said to be "very good" and that turned out to be just 13. The group to choose from looked more like roud 3 or 4 of the draft.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Looks like Asian pool is working as intended, at least. I don’t think this is an intended change...
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Went International, everyone was 18yo.
3 Good, 6 AboveAv, 1 nothing.

Drafted Galli, a pot14 Good. My first ever Italian draft pick
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Went Asian, terrible slate to choose from but they were all normal age range.
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
No such problems in the Asian group.

However, out of 10 options I had 7 Above Average potentials, 3 Goods and 0 Very Goods. What a fabulous, fabulous range of choisces. Truly spectacular...

Of the 2 hitters with Good potential, 1 had a Never hit rating and the other had no hitting comment.

The pitcher was only a 12 POT whose range and arm are too high and will limit his pitching skills.

http://brokenbat.org/player/197005
5L1NK

Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Well as far as hiccups in BB go, it's not that bad a one. There's always growing pains when we implement change in this game. I'm sure it'll be resolved soon
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
My guess is the new draft stuff Steve is working on will generate 16 year old Americans, 18 year old Internationals, and random aged Asians. The high school players and international players may get a few years of amateur games before they are draftable in the system he is working towards for scouting purposes.

He may not have intended for it to affect this year’s draft (especially the college pool), but it did...

Luizmussa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The issue is that all College players on the pool were 16yo and the player I just drafted was actually a HS boy.

http://brokenbat.org/player/196996
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I wonder if the net effect of two less rounds is that more of the Above Average and lower potentials will show up as options.

Is that truly the intent here? I hope not.

Above average or lower potential players should NOT be generated as options in Round 1 (or Round 2 for that matter).
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Also, if those 16 year olds are legitimately intended to be in the draft pool then there were more changes to the draft besides those announced.

If so, that is patently unfair to everyone. Some owners may have chosen different pools had that been announced.

Updated Friday, March 22 2019 @ 5:59:23 am PDT
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Denvy drafted a HS Sophomore. I think U.S. players need to be 17. I’m going to get my lawyers on this.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Aside from the age hiccup (and the fact that I waited an extra week to be disappointed), I think this is the thing that needs to be addressed:

The first round should be about making tough choices between good prospects, not meh choices between bad prospects.

I had nine unusable players and one marginal one to choose from. So I had no real choice and I knew it five seconds after hitting "Draft". Being trapped into a bad decision isn't very fun.
CoryCates

Rocket City Trash Pandas
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Hope some of you guys who are never satisfied are happy. The draft was fine the way it was and now it's messed up. Just like the 2034 season when big changes are made the game goes haywire. I drafted a "college player" who is 16 yrs. old and never been to college.

I've won 5 out of 6 league championships with mainly homegrown players using the old draft system because it worked beautifully if you knew what you were doing. Yes some of the old draft system was luck, but so is the real world draft.
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 @Haselrig
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
After the extra long wait I got a board where not 1 of the 10 players managed to crack 2 lines with his scouting report.

My choice ended up being a 9 pot. 9 pot. Far and away the worst draft pick I've ever had in the first round. Hell, it's worse than most of my 10th round picks, and the 10th round was deemed unnecessary under the new model.

Oh well. Maybe next week.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 Amarillo Wranglers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Instead it got "fixed", now it's broke.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Since we shrank the draft by two rounds, I'm hoping we have room for a do-over after some adjustments.
wick

Bayonne Bleeders
VI.30

Broken Bat Baseball
Bayonne managed to nab a star, but I feel all your pains. A pot9 in r1 is awful. As I understood it, the only things that changed draft wise was shrinking to 8 rounds and starting the draft a week later. But maybe there *were* changes to the algorithms?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
As always, we had complete garbage in the first round.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hope some of you guys who are never satisfied are happy. The draft was fine the way it was and now it's messed up.

There have been no real changes to the draft. Why would anyone be happy. The 16 year old players is something Steve was playing with regardless of any other changes. And getting "stuck" with a 16 year old prospect is hardly equivalent to 2034. Most of my 1st rounders end up back on waivers anyhow.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
It's not "as always," Rock. I don't always get garbage in the first round. And I certainly have never drafted a 16 year old from the college ranks. This is not acceptable.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
No real changes? How 'bout moving first round back two weeks, taking away two rounds and having nothing but players in diapers to choose from? Sounds like a lot of changes to me.

Updated Friday, March 22 2019 @ 6:41:39 am PDT
zonablazer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This 1st round sounds and is equal to 3rd round talent. I had 1 of 10 be VG potential. All others were above average or worse.
5L1NK

Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Easy fellas. Toddcates, rock was referring to his bad luck, not everyone's.

The draft change made sense. On paper. A very high percentage dropped their 9 and 10 round picks. While I know some liked the deep thought in should I drop a guy after the deadline to pick up a draft pick, it wasn't common enough to justify all the drops.

From what I can gather there was just an error with the change that'll get rectified shortly. No need to blow up about it. Steve will have likely seen this and gotten to work on resolving it.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1000000 5L1NK
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
5L1NK, I'm not blowing up. I'm 50, not fifteen. I don't need to be "shushed". If the problem was too many 9th and 10th rounds being dropped, who cares. There will always be subpar players in the last rounds that will go the waivers. And...it's not just this change, it's the pattern of certain owners pushing Steve towards unnecessary changes that lead to glitches, that lead to adjustments, that lead to SNAFU's in the game system. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm tired of having to put an asteriks by certain seasons because of nonsense like this.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yup, International didn't look appealing at all in the first round, but I'll be fair: International can always be dicey. I'm actually envious of all the amazing HS picks I've seen from others and regretting not getting on the HS train. I think it's fun to see all the 16-year-old HS players, but I also don't think that was intended. Agreed on 17 minimum. (BTW, I went back and looked at my 2035 first-round research; no HS 16-year-olds, just to reconfirm.)

I'm not too up-in-arms, because let's be honest, most of us were calling for small, incremental changes. And I don't think anyone else should be up-in-arms, yet. I still definitely want to see better pools in the first and second round. As others have said, the choice between varying degrees of turd sandwich in those rounds is frustrating.

EDIT: As for "certain owners pushing Steve towards unnecessary changes that lead to glitches," I'm a bit skeptical about that entire statement. Did Steve feel pressure from a vocal minority? And as for unnecessary, I think the majority of voices were calling for a few small changes. Glitches? Well, I don't know if Steve is running a separate test environment and hunting bugs there. That's a programming thing, and I can't speak to what programming practices he uses. Oh, and he's not getting paid to do this. *shrug*

Updated Friday, March 22 2019 @ 7:18:48 am PDT
spenaat

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I got a 6'4, 242 pound teenager called Bennie Sanders, so i can't complain
CoryCates

Rocket City Trash Pandas
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
The point I'm trying to make is just like Todd stated Mr. Rock. It will be like the 2034 season in that an asterisk will have to be placed next to this season. If certain things hadn't been messed with, my round 1 draft pick might have been something I could use on my roster in a couple of years after he filtered through the minors. Why don't you go over to the HELP section Rock, like usual, and give the newbies all the info it took us older players hard work and a few seasons to figure out. We older players have YOU figured out. The newbies will just LOVE you.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven... That's the whole problem. Too many are more concerned with tweaking and changing things all the time than they are with just playing a game that is the best on the web, just the way it is. There are voices like mine, who say just leave it be and enjoy it with all it's little imperfections, just like in real life baseball. And as far as you not being able to speak to Steve's programming, then don't try to speak to it.
geigerted

Queens Park Rangers
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I managed to draft my first semi-decent prospect in the 3+ seasons I’ve played, so I’ll be really sad if Steve resets the draft or turns him into a 24-year-old Ukrainian or something.
Gambler75

Brockton Bombers
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Looks like I should've popped in and read this before drafting, missed my chance at a Doogie Howser college prospect lol.

1 of 10 VG in the high schoolers, turned out to be a 14 pot - looked promising with a speed comment + SS position, but had 12 range... Oh zee well.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I did read this before drafting, went HS and still had no very goods, so of course I landed a 12 POT reliever.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@toddcates: With all due respect, I'll speak what I wish, within the boundaries of proper forum etiquette, very much like you are right now. We can respectfully disagree in the aftermath.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
According to this site, minimum legal age to be drafted by MLB is 18 - for US prospects.
I seem to remember that Latin American prospects could be signed at 16. It may have changed.

In Brokenbat, it used to be 17 for HS, and 16 for Latin draft pools
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven, Yes, we can respectfully disagree. I disagree that constant changes need to be made to a game that is fine the way it is. Apparently, I'm in the minority, but these forums seem to easily disregard the minority opinions. I've been on here since 2016 and have mostly kept silent, for fear of being kicked off the game. But I have grown tired of seeing a very vocal few, you excluded, from trying intimidate the minority voices into silence. It would be nice if Steve would hear "Us" once in while and just leave things alone.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
<ignore>toddcates + CoryCates</ignore>
munciestan

Walnut Creek Cardinals
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This is a fun game, and even FREE! It's not life or death. If this draft issue is the worst thing you have to face today, you've had a pretty good day. I say continued thanks to Steve for a terrific game.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
@frankebasta. That's the typical response from the majority. Just ignore those of us with different opinions.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
This is a fun game, and even FREE! It's not life or death. If this draft issue is the worst thing you have to face today, you've had a pretty good day. I say continued thanks to Steve for a terrific game.

It IS a fun game. That's the whole point. It's just for fun. Some of us would like for all the constant calls for changes to cease and let's enjoy the best baseball game on the web. That's all.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not going to be ignoring anybody, but I will cordially disagree. If changes had never been suggested, the game wouldn't be as fun as it is.

With the introduction of Hardwood, it was inevitable that some of the innovations in that game would work their way back to this one with, or without, player input.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The delay was inevitably going to heighten disappointment.

A team doesn't need that many "hits" to sustain itself. In this respect, nothing has changed - if you whiff, shrug it off and hope for better next week.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
This is the best round 1 had to offer:

10 pot pitcher.

Now 1 draftee kept in the last 26 rounds.

Un-f***ing-believable run of bad luck the last 3 years.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you Mr. Cates. I always try to advocate for newbies. I enjoy having competition. I appreciate you recognizing my efforts at educating the next generation of team owners.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca, 16 yr olds in college is a big change. I hope this was some sort of bug that will be fixed. Also, I had no pitchers to pick from and nearly every player had negative scouting comments, something I've never seen this early. Something was, in my opinion, not right with how the draft went down.

Updated Friday, March 22 2019 @ 9:00:06 am PDT
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 @Dan6176
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
The delay was inevitably going to heighten disappointment.

A team doesn't need that many "hits" to sustain itself. In this respect, nothing has changed - if you whiff, shrug it off and hope for better next week.

If nothing has changed then why make any change? That's the point of what I've been trying to say. Why change things when they were fine the way they were. And BTW, some of us don't want to see a miscegenation of Hardwood and Broken Bat. Let the two different sport games stand on their own.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Also, I had no pitchers to pick from and nearly every player had negative scouting comments, something I've never seen this early.

You've just been very lucky to date. I see this every year. Which is exactly why we need a change.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
You've just been very lucky to date. I see this every year. Which is exactly why we need a change.

Honestly, Rock, what is the "Change" we need. I don't see it. Sometimes you get a great draft pick, sometimes you get a good one, and sometimes you go bust. What's the problem with the old draft system?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had 1st round draft slates as bad as this one before. The delay just made it that much worse.

The other side-effect I haven't heard anyone talk about is that waivers dry up quickly after the season starts and without the wave of cuts around the first round of the draft, the pickings were pretty slim the past week.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
It seems to me that what everybody means by "We need a change" is that everybody wants a guarantee on getting a "good/great" player in the first round or two. This sounds like "everybody gets a trophy". This is not how baseball was meant to be played.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe I've been "lucky" in the past, though that does not dispute the fact that I, and everyone else, drafted 16 year old college players. Something is wrong.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I described the needed change several times in the draft discussion thread:

- Eliminate shared pools which serve no point other than providing an early bird advantage to some teams

- Create potential brackets per round, e.g. in round 1 all players are POT 13 and up.

- Create some sleepers for fun and late engagement (e.g. getting a POT 13 in the 7th round)

- Add position templates so that position actually means something when we are drafting
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
toddcates: Miscegenation was on my word-o'-the-day toilet paper.

Denvy had a terrible draft board. All staff that were present in the Bronco war room were immediately fired.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
What's the problem with the old draft system?

For me, it's the double penalty of the high percentage of a "I'm so blind, I picked ten guys who can't play baseball to draft from" draft bust in round one coupled with the +/-20% variance in players' scouted abilities.

I'd just like to see the first round exempted from the first penalty, but retain the second. Scouts fail. Your eyes shouldn't.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This sounds like "everybody gets a trophy".

Nope. I drafted a POT 13 this year who is undoubtedly a piece of garbage. He has a horrible build. But it is ridiculous that ANY team in real life would waste a first round draft pick on a player they know has a ceiling of being "Above Average".

Its a far cry from "everyone should have decent options, many of which will be a bust" to "everyone gets a trophy".
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you Mr. Cates. I always try to advocate for newbies. I enjoy having competition. I appreciate you recognizing my efforts at educating the next generation of team owners.

Yes, Rock, you educated ME at one point when I was a newbie. But, I have since realized that you talk out of both sides of your mouth. You tell Newbies enough to get them in trouble and then you ridicule, and talk down to them/us, when we gain a modicum of knowledge and have a different opinion from you about the how this game should be managed. You're like a politician in that regard. You, Seca, Haselrig, and Steve are not the only ones playing this game.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve is the only one building that game. I don't talk out of both sides of my mouth ever. I tried once, and it is really impossible to do.

I agree with Haselrig. I like the fact that 1st rounds will often bust. But there are plenty of ways to get a bust without have a board full of "Above Average" players in the 1st round.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Nope. I drafted a POT 13 this year who is undoubtedly a piece of garbage. He has a horrible build. But it is ridiculous that ANY team in real life would waste a first round draft pick on a player they know has a ceiling of being "Above Average".

Its a far cry from "everyone should have decent options, many of which will be a bust" to "everyone gets a trophy".

And that's the crux of the draft that we all deal with. Sometimes a diamond, sometimes a piece of coal. That's not a reason to go making changes to the draft. I get players like that all the time...some work out and some are a bust. Dry your tears and deal with it. Why should the draft be changed to guarantee that the "Divas" in this game always get a great player?
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Lot of whining on here today, by a vocal minority. Shame.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It is simply broken and really very boring to go through the list and pick the one borderline player amongst the trash heap each round. I want to actually have to make a choice when I am drafting. I don't remember the last time I actually had a real option.

A better draft with better parity (and no race conditions) is better for everyone. You may have been relying on good luck to date, but luck is fickle, and you'll be crying in your soup if you start getting all POT 9s in your first round every year for both of your teams. That's the way the draft works right now.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Lot of whining on here today, by a vocal minority. Shame.

This is the typical response on here to those of us who don't agree with the Steve-defending, change-advocating "majority". Just ignore the dissenting voices as whiners. I've remained silent for over two years about some of you all's BS and when I speak up, then I'm just a whiner.

We're just debating the subject of changes to the draft and you have to get personal. It's a sad commentary on what has happened to this game.
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
It is simply broken and really very boring to go through the list and pick the one borderline player amongst the trash heap each round. I want to actually have to make a choice when I am drafting. I don't remember the last time I actually had a real option.

A better draft with better parity (and no race conditions) is better for everyone. You may have been relying on good luck to date, but luck is fickle, and you'll be crying in your soup if you start getting all POT 9s in your first round every year for both of your teams. That's the way the draft works right now.

I agree with this. I've often wondered why a "very good potential" player ends up being a 12 pot but an "above average player" ends up being a 13 or 14 pot. My issue is not with the draft system, but with the scouting system. And I get tired of hearing vague explanations like "Well there are hidden variable in the scouting reports" etc. The draft system doesn't need fixing, the scouting system needs to be more reliable. In my humble opinion.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I prefer the other way around. I like the fact that scouts are fallible. But if my scouts think a player is only "Above Average", why am I drafting him in the first round? I would rather have a bunch of "Very Good" POT 12s on the board than a bunch "Above Average" guys.

Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I think part of the problemis that there is too much variablity in the scouting/potential information we are given.

That combined with the "+/-20%" thing on a players build creates the situation where you can find a VG player with 14 POT who plays/caps like a 12 POT or an Above Average player with 13 POT.

I get the idea of trying to build in some randomness. However, when both the scouting comments on a player's potential AND the level that the cap at can fluctuate by such a wide range it is going to create negative feelings.

TL/DR version? Building randomness into two displays of the same variable causes problems.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
So are all the Japanese teams drafting before us? Because if so, Asian Posting System is pointless then imo. (Yes, I am sour grapes about drafting a "meh" player from there)
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow. These Cates (todd and Cory) really got their dander up.

The apparent changes: 16 yr olds in College is a whoops, but hopefully not a big deal -- especially because it seems like the ones I have seen have esp high SI for 16 yrs (>60!). Might become a benefit if they reach Maj not too long after they would if they were 21 yr old. 2nd issue of having the draft pushed back, hurts how? We all lose training time for them. If we are all in the same boat, it doesn't really matter.

For those complaining that this season's 1st rd wasn't as good as previous seasons: I don't think there was any change in quality. I got 2 VGs, which is actually better than the last 2 years. I picked one & got a 12 POT. oh well. I noticed someone got a sweet 15 POT. The set up has been and still is 95% luck, which is the prob to me -- so just welcome to the club. I think the discussion we had last season about altering the draft was a good friendly discussion. I think Steve will make the right call. I have faith in him.

@ cory/todd I haven't seen too much hazing here at all. Sorry if you felt you were on the receiving end in the past. Today it seems like you are throwing out the most venom. Chilax. And complaining about minority voices not being heard after not posting for 2 years doesn't seem to hold up logically. Also I think it is cool that Rock and others help newbies.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The 16yo college players is an unfortunate bug. Most people draft college because they need more immediate help in the big leagues and these players likely won't fill that need. Not sure if the exclusively 18yo international players creates the same problem or not?

Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much of an issue...

I had two VG's in my pool. One had no hitting report...I took the other one. He ended up being a 12-pot who I will keep as a potential DH, but nothing special. Seemed like a normal round one and I didn't get lucky...move on to the next week and hope for a better roll!
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/197216
Probably going to drop him. Hopefully the age bug(assuming it is a bug) gets fixed because I might of not cut him if he would have been closer to the majors.
5L1NK

Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I think we should lay off the Cates here guys. They have valid points that they're passionate about. Our medium of communication doesn't convey tone enough so it appears hostile.

It's common knowledge Rock is a polarizing individual, But this forum thread wasn't meant to be calling him out for his demeanor on the forums. We're all adults and can privately message to work out the issues. Not give off an apparent (to me at least) hostile environment in this thread.

There are great points on both sides, ultimately it's up to Steve how this all plays out. It's his world and we're all lucky enough to play in it. The fact that we have a suggestions section here is a privilege. I think one of the reasons we have it is that BB is Steve's baby and he wants it to grow and improve. If he leaves it the same and just monitors here and there, he might lose the passion for it. We've had some good changes and bad changes. All games have it, it's the cost of innovation. We just have the curse/privilege of being the alpha testers to this living game.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Okay, y’all. Look. This is a free game. It does not have ads, it does not make him money. It is developed by one man as a hobby. If you think you can do better, go write your own bloody game.

Broken Bat lives, evolves, or dies at Steve’s whim.

No, it’s not a perfect game. Yes, bugs will crop up from time to time. There are going to be aspects of the game that not everybody is going to like (and go find anything I’ve ever said about how managers are implemented if you don’t believe me). College players all being sixteen-year-olds is a bug. That should be fixed. The first round of the draft not throwing around very-goods like confetti is a design choice. Steve may be willing to hear out suggestions and possibly implement them, but he is in no way obligated to do so.

On the topic of vocal minorities, you do know why Steve is more likely to pay attention to them, right? Because these are the people who are actually giving him feedback to work with. If you never speak up, how’s he supposed to know what you think? If a suggestion pops up on the forum that you’re not a fan of, say as much on the thread and explain why. If there are changes being suggested and implemented that you don’t like, don’t blame Rock/Mike/Seca/etc. for them if you’re not stating a case against them. And no, I’m not targeting anyone in this thread in saying so, that is a blanket statement to anyone who reads the forum and doesn’t participate in the discussions. Sometimes being loud works.

The real question is, with the changes that have been made, good or bad, are you still enjoying the game enough to keep playing?

Good luck in 2040. I’ll still be here in 2041.

And finally: Steve. I said this back in the whole 2035 debacle, and it may or may not have survived the rewind, but don’t be discouraged by the complaints. People griping is a good thing. It means they’re interested and invested enough in the game that they will gripe about things in an effort to get them changed for the better. If they didn’t care, they would just wander off to something else and never come back. You’re obviously doing something right. Keep it up, and thank you for providing us with a game that, for whatever flaws it may have or RNG misfortunes it may inflict upon us, is still one of the best of its kind.
wick

Bayonne Bleeders
VI.30

Broken Bat Baseball
@AP, agree across the board. Well said.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I just wish the 1st round didn't throw around "no potential comment" players like confetti ;)
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
steve rocks!
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
My complaints are not by any means dealbreakers, was just curious! Love this game, Steve.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve does indeed rock.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
He does!
Mudcat325

Columbia Catfish
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/197274

16 year old College draftee? Really?

Update: Aged 4 years overnight...now he doesn't look like a child prodigy. Not a very good first rounder either.

Updated Saturday, March 23 2019 @ 8:07:32 am PDT
Mudcat325

Columbia Catfish
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I love this game also and understand that bugs certainly happen in fact I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one this (16yo college graduate) happened to. And yes of course Steve does rock...agreed.
Da_Juice

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/197316

Really like my first draft pick, arm seems a little week, any suggestions where to put him
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
His arm is a bit weak for catcher perhaps, but I think you could make it work. He's got lots of options really. Outfield and third base could work, but with his relatively robust (albeit not great) defensive profile I might be tempted to train him at short stop and live with his limitations.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, if you don't have a better SS prospect I'd train him there. If you do then I'd move him to 3B or OF, but he really could play anywhere with that defensive build. Should be a decent player.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Seems many 1st round draft picks woke up a bit older this morning.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My 16 yr old college pick is now 20.

Thank you Steve for this awesome game.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I guess the early bird doesn't get the worm anymore.

Still haven't picked, too busy admiring my selections.

EDIT:Not bad.

Updated Saturday, March 23 2019 @ 7:40:23 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My highschool draftee got aged too... As if he weren't bad enough. Now his he has a bad build and is starting from 35 SI, LOL.
nbadh

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I drafted this guy at 16y and he now shows up as 20.

http://brokenbat.org/player/197007
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That hurts. A great prospect at 16, but a rather poor prospect at 20. I think it would have been better if Steve left these players at the age they were drafted at. Just aging the players without increasing their development means they all lose out on 4 year of dev and are heavily under developed :(
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The college players I've looked at - tho aged - seem to be appropriately placed in rookie ball.

Without further fixes most of those guys are going to have issues.
StretchDynamo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/197122

My college draft pick was 16 and 26 SI, so already pretty underdeveloped. but at 16 I could work with it. Now, at 20, with no SI improvement, this pick is a complete wash.I'm going to hold on to him for now just in case Steve makes another adjustment or two, but that age change with no SI increase hurt
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Good idea. Steve may still make more changes.
spenaat

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Probably not too bad stats for a 16yo, but good lord did those 4 extra years sting.

http://brokenbat.org/player/197098
geigerted

Queens Park Rangers
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Glad to see that my first round pick has now been rendered completely worthless, keeping my perfect record of draft busts intact.
atomic

Sunnyvale Rebels
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
The group of players to choose from in the 2nd round is very dissapointing again:

potential good: 3x
above average: 3x
average: 1x
no comment: 3x!

I could swear the pool was better in the past.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Second round. One "good". A wild pitcher that can pitch all day. No thanks. One "very good" position player that ended up an 11 potential. Criminal.

This pathetic draft and failure in waivers will hurt my team for a long time. It will likely go down as my worst ever.

Updated Friday, March 29 2019 @ 6:20:45 am PDT
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Of the 10 choices this week, 5 had no potential comment at all. None. In Round 2. Wtf.

The rest were 2 Good's and 3 Above Average's.

Final choice was another 12 POT pitcher with a Strike Put comment and very low Field, Range and Arm so he might turn out ok.

Still expected better from an early round.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually had a "Very Good" option this round! I never see "Very Good" on my board. Was excited, but ended up being a POT 12 pitcher with high stamina... Most likely will be on the trash heap before next Friday.
spenaat

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
After being burned with the first rounder aging 4 years in an instant, this round more than made up for it. Pot 15, baby!
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So, I went through the hassle of getting up early to try to get a decent pick. Got my pool and fell asleep looking the players over. When I woke up, the guy I was leaning toward was no longer available.
I've done that before... once went two days without making a pick... and everyone was still available. So, maybe this is a new thing that prospects are placed in multiple draft pools simultaneously and when a prospect in your pool is picked by another owner he is replaced in your pool by a new prospect? Either way, I think I have a new late-round/lame pool draft strategy.

Also, player profiles are no longer available for prospects; that's a real bummer.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You lost the player because of the shared pools which have always existed. Its one of the "features" of the shared pools, and can happen when a lot of players are picking from the same pool at the same time (like Friday morning). Its because there aren't enough unique players to fill everyone's board simultaneously.

Prospects have never had profiles available because they don't become real until they are drafted.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had that happen within a few seconds of the page opening. I'm guessing they get shown randomly and every now and again they get shown to two people drafting at the same time.

To my knowledge, they don't get replaced if chosen by someone else. Waiting would just mean increasing the chances of losing even more guys off your list.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Otherwise it would be a loophole. People would create a board, and then wait for a good player to appear.

Really the right solution is to just get rid of the shared pools since they serve no real purpose other than creating issues like this one.
jezzat

Rockford Rhinos
V.9

Broken Bat Baseball
Went for the lucky dip option of picking from any of the pools. Got 2 with no report, 2 above average, 4 good and 2 very good. Went for this one - http://brokenbat.org/player/197730 - and very happy - looks like the first 16 pot player we've ever had.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Another poor slate mostly made up of guys with one or two lines in their scouting reports. Had one Very Good this time and got a keeper, though. That keeps the wolves at bay for this season.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Only one reasonable option on my board, but he was a keeper, so I'll take it:

Joel Merritt
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hope we split out new threads for the other rounds. I might be the only one, but I do look back through these threads for various reasons. This thing is going to be an unweildy beast before long.

I had a gem amoung the he'll always be wilds and he'll never be a good hitters.

Scouting Report: He can be a strike out pitcher. His slider can be exceptional. He may be limited to only a few innings. He has good overall potential.

With a couple big positives I thought there was a strong chance the good potential would be 12. Was disappointed he was 11.

Still think he could be a 12. Strong scouting. Good starting skills / SI. Could exceed expectations. Potential (IMO) should always be viewed as a floor tho. The chance that he'd occupy a roster spot for 7-8 seasons and stall out at 86 SI makes him (and 11 pot guys in general) bad propositions.

On the bright side, having drafted a 9 & an 11 already, I've got my 7th and 8th round picks out of the way. :) Next week stands a good chance of being better.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, that's a sneaky one. I'd have bit on that scouting report most weeks myself.
Da_Juice

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/197666

I continue a very good draft this year with this guy in the 2nd round. Going to play him at 2nd. Since my 1st round pick will be at SS. really need some Pitchers in my minors though but oh well
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock was right. The player was not replaced in my pool. Can't count to ten when it's early.
Still... never had that happen before.

However, I'm sure that there was a profile page for prospects. You could click the name and go to a page with question marks where the ratings would be... but you'd get to see height, weight, hometown, and their little avatar.
I've used it in the past to break ties between comparable players. Today was the first time I've gotten a player ID does not exist message.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, that's a sneaky one. I'd have bit on that scouting report most weeks myself.

Heehee. Well, there wasn't any opportunity cost. Wasn't anything else close.

Not to dwell on last week, but I did a little looking. I've made 225 draft picks (+-) in my time here. By my records 7 of those have been 9 pot. Getting one in the first round was breath-taking.

Updated Friday, March 29 2019 @ 10:23:53 am PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
However, I'm sure that there was a profile page for prospects.

Yep, they certainly used to have pages. Haven't checked one in a long time, so can't say when (or if) that option was removed.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm a bit fascinated by McCoy now. So many questions. Where is all that SI the scouting report promises going to come from? Maybe his stamina sticks at 4 or 5? Almost has to be a 12 POT at the end of the day, right?
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Another great pool to pick from. 2 good, 2 above average. Went with the "good" pitcher that will probably be as good as the rest of my pitchers with double digits ERAs.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Err ... that's a 20 year old AA placed 13 pot with exceptional movement and good SI / starting skills. No guarantees he's a star, but I really don't get the hate.

There was a post a little higher in the thread by a team that's suffered long term damage from the first two rounds of this year's draft. 1st round pick was a great / decent 17 yr 13 pot with 17 speed + SB gene and 2 clear defensive positions.

Draft expectations are so divergent. Draft reform such a challenge.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca, you are absolutely right, he looks good. But I also thought my first rounder from '37 and third rounder from '35 looked good, too. Still waiting for them to develop into what I thought they'd be. Maybe I do have expectations that are too high. Maybe I don't judge pitching pprospects correctly. Maybe I don't it my orders in the right spot to succeed. Maybe I shouldn't post at the end of a 14 how day at work, lol. Maybe you could take a look at the two aforementioned gentlemen and let me know if you think my faith in them is misguided. I'd link to them but I'm not at home and my tablet doesn't like to do stuff.

PS- I apologize for sounding like a whiny b***h.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
No need to apologize. :). I was overstepping there. I can appreciate your experiences may give you a different impression of a player.

I was mostly sympathizing with the position Steve is in trying to make changes. Expectations can be pretty different.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Haselrig, re. McCoy

15 v
8 cos
17 mov
9 c
6 st
10 fld

Puts him to 88 SI. 96 SI is another 8 pitching points - close to +2 on all the numbers. Both are possible, the first probably more likely. Either doesn't look too far from Grasso.

And that's the trouble I always have cutting guys like this. I'm always asking myself if this guy is the next Grasso.

I'd like to keep him for a bit to see some minor league numbers, but I'm at 50. No wiggle room for experiments.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

There was a post a little higher in the thread by a team that's suffered long term damage from the first two rounds of this year's draft. 1st round pick was a great / decent 17 yr 13 pot with 17 speed + SB gene and 2 clear defensive positions.

My bet is that was aimed at me. In my opinion, your assessment of that player is far better than he will ever be. He'll likely be something like 17-9-8-15-17-10-12-16. Yes, he appears to be a good base stealer, but, as they say, you can't steal first and he won't be on base enough to have much value there. He also appears to be a big time groundball hitter, which makes his "decent slugging" a waste. In his (few) 46 minor league at bats, he has exactly one extra base hit, a double. While he can't possibly be that bad, I'd be shocked if his OPS ever exceeds the 600s. His implied good positions could only be RF or catcher, neither of which are good at all. You need lefty hitters in the outfield and a 16 arm catcher is not good. I can't imagine him being on my roster for more than a season or two and he'll only make it that long because I have unusually good roster space at the moment, largely due to horrible waiver luck this off-season/spring.

Updated Friday, March 29 2019 @ 2:11:06 pm PDT
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Drafted my first POT 15 today with 17 year old Jayden Gunter. It is bittersweet because he has a lot of growing to do. Hoping he can grow and show that he's worth 15 POT.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Grats Dan6176. Think there is a good chance he fills out. :)

@ MukilteoMike
Not suggesting Quintana will be a star, but he’s far from a franchise rendering disaster. Would personally consider him above average for the round. Your projection may well be accurate. Then again, maybe his BC stalls at 7 and he pushes to 109 instead of 104. Now you have 15 PD, an OBP closer to .340-.350, and maybe 50-60 SBs. (I saw him as a 3B fwiw).

Maybe that’s rose colored glasses, but that’s the potential upside. That you don’t think you’ll have a roster spot to gamble on a great hitting 13 pot base stealer suggests pretty strong system.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, yeah, if he reaches the most unlikely but possible OBP he would be worth keeping. The problem is he's probably something like 70% likely to be under 330 OBP with similar slugging. That's no good.

Third base with no positive fielding comment? You've been watching my defense too closely. No one should plan on doing such a thing.

I also don't think there's any way he's above average for round one. You're comparing him to your lame pick, I'm afraid. A first round pick should be an obvious keeper. That doesn't mean a star in the making, but merely someone that should make the majors if he develops as touted. I think my guy has about a 15% chance of being a starter any where. Granted, that's 15% higher than yours.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Would have been thrilled to get Quintana as a first round pick. He is way better than 90% of my first round picks. Well above average. You have just been spoiled with REALLY good draft luck.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll make a gentlemen's bet of a million plus with anyone that he doesn't have a career OPS of 700 or better at the end of 2055. If he has more than 1000 at bats and a career 700+ OPS, I owe you a million pretend dollars and will forfeit my third round draft pick in 2056. If that isn't the case, you owe me the same thing. To make it more painful, we must select draft, see the draftees available, screenprint it to be shown to all, and then NOT select a player.
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Decent first baseman prospect
RDailey1948

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Scouting Report: He can have a major league fastball. His control will always be below average. He will be able to throw all day. He has good overall potential.
Was the most promising in my college pick but
http://brokenbat.org/player/197641
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Strange that no one picked up my round 2 draft pick. I just released my #1 that many were saying is good even though no one would make a wager backing it up. Claim away! I bet someone will take him, but I still say he'll never be good enough to be an every day player. Good luck!
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Keeping an eye on Quintana. He has exploded in a good direction this week. He hit his first two homers and raised his average 30 or 40 points I think. It has been a good enough week that I actually got a little nervous about my decision to release him. We'll see if can continue the trend as a Halfling.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Define good.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL. I didn't even realize I had picked him up... He's looking pretty good to me so far. Not worried about his early numbers in A. Its a transition.
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@allen54chevy

Well it certainly isn't that...
blackfire83

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Granted, I'm very new to this game, but this is the first time the scouting report and the guy's actual attributes have been so.... different.

http://brokenbat.org/player/236918

Is that glowing scouting report enough to hang on to the guy and hope he develops like crazy? Or is he clearly just a dud who happened to hoodwink my scouts?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
He's probably not a good proposition.

Being an 11 potential RHB 1B-type makes it tough. 12 potential guys that fill that role a readily available on waivers.

You could look past that and give him a try (hoping maybe that his potential bar creeps upward), but then there are his current skills. As you said, he has a lot of work to do.

When you put those two concerns together, I think you come up with a pretty low chance this guy turns into something. If you aren't under roster pressure you could see hang on to him and see how he does in the minors (probably not well with those skills). But this is working against him too. Minors are done for this season, so it would be 4-5 updates before you get to see much from him.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He has several negatives:

- Above Average Potential
- POT 11 isn't great
- High fielding on a POT 11 means lower hitting ratings
- Righty with a 1B build
- 29 starting SI (difficult to overcome for even a 17 year old)

+ Great Hitting w/ some slugging
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thought I'll be able to pick up my last round player this late in the season after releasing some veterans but I guess not... it says I already made the pick. Well, whatever.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it's limited to a week after the round opens now.

Previous Page | Show Page |