Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So I came across this article today

http://www.popbioethics.com/2010/01/steroids-are-not-bad/

Thoughts?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
6. “Steroids are dangerous when misused.” That’s what the word misused implies. Take too much ibuprofen to get over an injury? You’ll permanently damage your stomach lining and liver. Even Gatorade is ‘dangerous.’ The stuff is pure sodium and sugar. If you haven’t been working out, it sends your sodium levels through the roof (read: heart disease) and, if you’re not chugging it, the little sips you take dissolve your teeth at record pace.

I don't think anyone is against steroid used properly under a doctors care to recover from injury...but baseball players using steroids to build massive muscles is misuse. It will be interesting to see how this effects some of the lifespans of some of these players. How healthy is taking so many steroids that it starts to make you sterile?

Steve
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Although I do agree with some parts of this like how it's not the pressure to take steroids but the pressure to excel at sports along with how it makes people who project it pissed
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
We reward 'excellence', not 'averageness'.

Steve Stone is on of my favorite examples. Here's his career stats

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/stonest01.shtml

After 9 years of decent very respectable achievement, he had a FANTASTIC 1980. 25 wins, a Cy Young, and a trip to the world series. The next year was mediocre, filled with injury, and he was out of baseball.

So what happened? He's answered it several times very candidly. He changed his delivery. More break on the curve, a bit more velocity... and a LOT more pressure on his shoulder and elbow.

Every pitch he threw, he knew he was shortening his career. He could feel the pain building, notice how recoveries were longer, developed a sharp stab that was never there before, despite pitching for 9 years as a starter.

And then it was over.

He was asked about it later and whether it was worth it - his answer at the time was "absolutely". A year of glory was way better than 10 years of "just being an average starting pitcher" in the major leagues. I don't know if he still feels that way today - I don't follow him now, but I followed the story at the time.

That's the challenge with chemistry and sports. Many of these guys would gleefully kill themselves for glory if you let them. I don't know how you moderate that behavior.

Updated Saturday, April 15 2017 @ 4:37:30 am PDT

Previous Page | Show Page |