Announcements

Forum >> Announcements >> Broken Bat League Expansion   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
cbstatic

North El Dorado Pay Dirt
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
I came upon this thread only because Jrey posted. But it was a good read since there are no games tonight.

I know it is an old thread. But after reading it I have a thought.

Maybe a Holiday / Vacation toggle button on the Team Home page accessible after 2 seasons of game play. This would help with owners not being able to log in while they are away. Maybe this would expand it to 100 days. My longest vacation was 46 days traveling Europe in 1998.

On Expansion:
If a LL7 of some sort was made. Maybe no Ownership in LL7 until all or most of the LL1-LL6 teams were taken, effectively keeping the bot teams together.
Thus would eliminate the need to demote teams to LL7 unless there was an Owned team eligible for promotion.
The LL7 could additionally be "hidden" from public view until the current setup was 95%-98% (718-740 teams) occupied.

Drawback on this issue:
Yes I realize the new Owners might not be too excited about the 16ish available (at 98% occupation) teams but there would still be a fair assortment available.
I also could see if or when the LL7 would open up (at 98% as an example) people might release their teams to attempt to occupy the LL7 teams. To counter this, I would guess the LL7 teams would need to be open only to new owners. Which would upset some current owners.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Charley

Updated Friday, April 21 2017 @ 5:12:04 pm PDT
cbstatic

North El Dorado Pay Dirt
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
jreynoldson913 wrote:
I would just like to know the numbers on this currently

I did a count (checked all league standings pages)and found the following:
1 Bot in LL4
4 Bots in LL5
58 Bots in LL6

63 Bot teams = 91.7 % occupied teams. But please do not hold my toes over the fire with this count.
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well if the problem is that there would be to many teams. How bout just 4 teams in a division same number of leagues so it's same number of teams demoting and promoting but the schedule might need a little tinkering since its only 4 teams is each division
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well if the problem is that there would be to many teams. How bout just 4 teams in a division same number of leagues so it's same number of teams demoting and promoting but the schedule might need a little tinkering since its only 4 teams is each division
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Right now, we've been holding pretty steady at ~700 users, so expansion hasn't been necessary. If we do expand to a 7th level, we probably wouldn't build it completely out (at least initially). Playing mostly against bots is pretty crappy (especially when they're beating you).

Steve
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Another problem is bots from LL7 inevitably promoting and working their way into LL6, possibly taking away spots from human players.

Granted, the only thing to do about this is code a system where bot promotion are denied if they would swap with an active user... but that sounds very hard to code an exception for when the ground work for the system has been fully laid out to not account for such cases.
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just stumbled upon this, been short on time lately.

I understand that expansion isn't required right now, as there are still teams with bot owners. So this is purely hypothetical. Adding another low level, league VII, would mean 768 new teams essentially doubling the number of teams.

A while back there was a proposal for expanding legends league. I suggested the following:

That being said; the suggestion is extending legends to 18 teams (9 per division). A one time reconfiguration would shuffle around around some teams and create six new teams, possibly at the VI league level.

Six more teams is the smallest possible change, since all team additions would need to be in multiples of six to conserve the cup structure. With this suggestion only one more cup group is added, with the winner getting an automatic pass and the rest of the 256 slots will be filled by at large (same of before).

Most importantly the BB pyramid structure stays untouched. Bottom 2 demote, and top 2 from II.1 and II.2 promote. Legends league is the only place where a playoff can take place, since there is no promotion at stake. As to taking the top 2 or top 3 is still up in the air, both are hypothetically doable.

The scheduling will required the greatest adjustment, but a few ideas were brainstormed in the current topic. There are ways to keep 160 games, interdivisional play and playing against all teams the same number of times. With 160 games and top 2 playing a division final (Bo5) before the league final (Bo7), only 1 more day is required (see previous messages in topic).

This may be applied to any league level, each time adding 6 new teams. So also including expansion to league II, 18 new total teams are added and for league III 42 new total teams.

I am not sure if there has been constant growth in terms of new team owners, so no idea which expansion strategy is warranted.

The idea is to expand the higher league levels first as needed. Also this expansion allows for a playoff system. In a way, it makes these leagues a bit different, some would say more exciting due to the playoffs and thus a reward for getting to that level.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like Steve's plan for a slow build with League VII. Simplicity and consistency are good things.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
like Steves idea also!
expand LeagueVII slow say if needed league VII.1-VII.12 wich adds 144 teams for new users
then add more as neeeded
raygen12

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Lets just make Legends like the MLB and have more teams and bigger playoff

Previous Page | Show All |