Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitching   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a left handed starter who is the best guy in my rotation this season. Perhaps results may vary more than some are suggesting.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Lefties always fail me, but on the flip-side, my team goes to sleep against opposing LHPs... so must be working for someone.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The flip-side of that train of thinking is that it is a huge problem in this game that righties can't hit. But with a larger sample size we all realize that just isn't the case.

My lefties have been pretty reliable starters. At least when they can stay healthy... I think its more about scouting accuracy and other hidden factors that make it hard to tell how good a pitcher is without evaluating their talent. We see 5 out of 10 righties work out and figure they are good pitchers, then 2 lefties fail and folks decide lefties can't pitch...
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
a few season ago, I fielded a 5 LHP rotation.
And they are all gone, but one (relegated to AAA because he allows 2 HR/9)
Three of them were pot15...

but my statement is not based on apocryphal stories.

I'm just looking at my opponents' lineups: there, is a collection of all LHP performance.

there's a lot of players with a 300/400/500 slash line.

against Rhp, only a few superstars are hitting like that.

Another thread pertains to this conversation: the abnormal small number of LHH faced by LH setup men. And Starters too.
It's the very same side of the coin
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Another pitching question: what's best?

I have two pitchers: 23yo, 11 POT, 74 SI
And I just claimed: 25yo, 13 POT, 69 SI

I've picked all these guys up because pitching depth is my weakness and there was nothing in the farm when I took over. I'm not sure there's a ton of upside here but it was better than what I had before.

Any advice appreciated!
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I would take the 13 POT 25 year old because his SI can be between 104-111 and his skills will be higher than the two 11 POT pitchers you have.

If the 11 POT players have low fielding, arm, and range, then they can be worth something because because the majority of their points will be in their pitching skills instead of their fielding.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Frank, except all your statements are based on the league you are in. The league you are in is not necessarily representative of every league in Broken Bat. So it suffers from the same experiential pitfalls that the rest of our claims have. In other words, results may vary.
Balbinjj

Appleton Foxes
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have three LHP main starters. Ham, Carrasco and Matthew.

We are doing well.

Just want to share that.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He's in the same league as me... Which is a hitters league, so all the pitchers are suffering. I don't see the lefties doing any worse than righties...

Just a quick and dirty back of the napkin for our leauge:

Lefty Starters (15) - Average ERA 4.8, Top 3 pitcher's ERA - 2.83, 3.39, 3.78

Righty Starters (49) - Average ERA 4.5, #1,4,7 ERAs - 2.34, 3.38, 3.46

So even in our league with its small sample size there is really only a slight skew towards righties. So I'm really not sure what Frank is talking about...

Updated Sunday, March 6 2016 @ 11:36:59 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Speaking of anecdotal fallacies. My lefty starter Byrd should be the worst starter on my team (although he isn't :() since he is a brand new rookie. His 4.8 ERA isn't helping the lefties average ERA, but he has a smaller sample size so far this year because he has had injuries totaling over 70 days out. Still looking at his H/IP ratio, his K/BB ratio, his WHIP, his GB/FB ratio, I expect him to be producing a sub-4 ERA by the time he is 27.

Previous Page | Show All |