Help

Forum >> Help >> Advice on Abeyta   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
xLee227

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was wondering what people think about Abeyta. A 95 SI at only 26 years of age with a plus fastball and changeup with decent control/stamina sounds great on the surface.

Looking at his performance thus far, however, it just is not matching his potential. I'm starting him in my rotation for development purposes but he's getting hammered in league play, rarely getting past even the third inning. He owns a a truly abysmal 10.74 ERA and a WHIP over 2. Although his 7.84K/9 is good, a 1.50 K/BB is not going to cut it.

I've given him some time in AAA as well, where he's got a 4.77 ERA despite facing significantly younger competition, although he is getting a healthy 8.25 K/9 and walking far fewer with a very strong 4.125 K/BB.

I'm in the midst of a pennant race and his poor performance leads me to more or less throw every fifth/sixth game. I understand the sample size is pretty small at the moment, but I was wondering what most people thought about his performance thus far, especially with his strong strikeout numbers. Should I stick with it on account of his AAA numbers and just bear with it or is he a lost cause?
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd throw in in AAA until the end of the minor league season, he hasn't had a lot of time there and he might pick up a point or two. I like his build, but with his numbers he might be best suited to an RHS or 5th starter role
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Another alternative is sticking him in the bullpen in a role where he will be brought in in a lot of games. Sometimes for whatever reason some guys are just better at pitching out of the bullpen is what I've noticed. I know with that plus stamina you WANT him to be a starter, but with that build I'd try him out of the bullpen before cutting him. Don't personally think AAA is going to do much for him at this point, since it looks like he isn't stunted.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LR is a good place to stick a guy you want to get innings, but don't want to hurt you if he falls apart. LRs often come in after a game is already lost anyhow.

Previous Page | Show All |