Help

Forum >> Help >> Best/easiest way to track player skills?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I hinted at this question in another thread, then got to thinking it might warrant a thread of its own. So, here it is. Aside from eyeballing the various roster pages and trying to remember what your guys were at before the training update, what's the easiest way of figuring out whether or not any of the folks who're actually receiving training benefitted from that training in a given week? Along a similar line, what is the relatively most reliable way of figuring out if/when a guy has passed his best before date? I know in general recent stats might give an indication, but I also know particularly in baseball, one or two bad seasons does not a player out of time make (see also: Bautista cerca 2011). Anything in particular I should be watching for? And again, any moderately headache free way of tracking that? Honestly, I love what I'm seeing, but sometimes I'm logging on to tinker with the team between classes, so if there's a screan I can pull up to figure out that, say, my now 32-year-old ace is probably not going to be the ace he used to be, that would be amazing.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hm not sure if I understood you correctly, but I think the player page will give you best information. Look at SI decline next to season statistics. Sometimes the guy is 32 but hasn't lost a significant amount of skill yet, sometimes he can lose 10 points in a single year. Check it for your older players that you feel some doubt about.

If you are wondering, skill drop due to age happens only once a season (at the beginning), not at every training update.

Also check the development graph (player page, bottom left, Statistics/Graph Selection) to get a hint of player's development / decline.

Hope this helps :)
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't do this anymore, but I used to take a screen cap of each training update. Made it easy to scroll through the weeks and see how guys were progressing over time.

As to 32 year olds in prominent roles. I'd be very wary of putting much weight on anybody over 31. There are exceptions, but they tend not to perform up to their career standards. Better to keep them in a support role or try to replace them as they likely have salaries higher than what they'll give you.

quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Replacing him is definitely on my list, but he was the best out of a stack of not-so-greats and I don't exactly have what I'd call stellar amounts of cash right now, so I'm more thinking can I bide my time while one of the people I'm hoping to bring up through the system gets to a point where I'd think about doing that. Tracking SI rates year over year might work, at least until I invent a better system for doing so. Mostly I'm more concerned with making sure the guy I'm currently using as my ace will give me enough time to either 1: develop one of his replacements or 2: flip over to the beginning of a season and stand a chance at drafting his replacement on the first shot (I know, but I can dream). The handy little top prospects list comes in quite helpful for tracking when one of his possible replacements will be ready for a test run (spring training), which I can see myself looking at every so often - particularly as I draft new players to see where in the list they fall, which only leaves the small matter of making sure I've got enough time with the guy I'm currently using. I ordinarily wouldn't care, but when I took this team most of the starting rotation should have still been in the minors, so I'm having to play a little more careful than perhaps is recommended for a newbie.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't do this anymore, but I used to take a screen cap of each training update. Made it easy to scroll through the weeks and see how guys were progressing over time.

I did this a few times and wish I'd kept it up!

I'm also wondering just how much training everyone receives? My manager is excellent and teaching the game, so I assume my team has more SI increases than an average team? I don't know if anyone has kept track of that or if its listed anywhere else in the forums, but as an example I gained a total of +18 to my SI scores this week (and probably have in the past), in addition to two players getting a capital letter at their positions.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
How did you track your week over week SI score increases? .. Or is that where memorizing where everyone was yesterday comes in?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Like I posted above, screen caps (several methods to do screen caps out there, just Google how to do it) are effective at tracking week to week training changes.

The method I use on Windows: http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows

Updated Friday, March 18 2016 @ 6:35:58 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

How did you track your week over week SI score increases?

I think most of us don't. You can see the seasonal SI gain just by comparing the SI rating at the end of each stat line on the player card. This shows the SI at the beginning of the year (or when they were promoted to a new level). So you can easily see how much they have gained in the year by subtracted from the current total. You can also open up the "development graph" view on the player card to see how the player has progressed over the years (two data points per year).

Updated Friday, March 18 2016 @ 11:10:22 am PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
You are aware of the Development graph feature on the player page? I doesn't track weekly changes, but it does give you two snapshots per season.

Steve
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm aware of it, but it's not altogether useful for screenreaders. Some of the other suggestions in this thread, however, are helpful.

Previous Page | Show All |