Help

Forum >> Help >> How should I improve my team?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi all.

This is my first season in BB. The team I've taken over was computer-run for a while, and showed it. The farm system was barren, and the team was composed primarily of old, slow veterans.

I've done a lot to turn it around so far, but I am still 15.5 games back in VI.17. I was closing in on the division lead at one point but a bunch of my players went on cold streaks and I've dropped from a .670 W-L to a .570 W-L.

If anyone has any thoughts as to things I can do to strengthen my team going into the final stretch for the season, I'd love to hear it!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Well for one thing, you're one of a whole bunch of teams who haven't tried one of the new managers (Vineland are the same!). There's a whole bunch out there who are all listed at straight 10s, but the difference there is that they will have some description in their reputation - "Good at managing hitters, below average at coaching defence", for example. You can scroll through the many options available and you'll get someone that suits you, and in time their stats will reflect their actual abilities. Old managers like yours have no rep, so you're basically paying for league average performance, when you can get better from a new manager and for only $0.50M.

As to your roster, you appear to have an awful lot of 12 POT players. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean that their caps will be lower and that they can only improve to a certain level - I'd get as many worthwhile 13 & 14 POT players as you can.

On top of that, a lot of your hitters have their best scores tied up in Speed, Field and Range. Which means that they're perhaps lacking in pure hitting skills - you are noticeably short in PD and Power.

Your pitching is average, too many 11 POTs, which means they are what they are, and that they'll have some decent days and plenty of mediocre ones.

In other words, as Bill Parcells famously said, you are what your record says you are. There really isn't much upside on your roster or in your minors (too many 12 POTs). I'd look to add as many POT 13 & 14 players as you can (as I have done), because where there's potential there is upside. As it stands, I don't think you can achieve more than you already have.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the tips. I was wondering about the manager - I looked at the new managers, but they were all straight 10s. I'll try to update.

I've been working on slowly acquiring 13- and 14- POT players, but they don't come often!

Edit: I've just gone through about 50 managers. They all say 'no reputation'. Are you sure the scouting reports exist?

Edit 2: Hmm... a second search returned managers with non-standard values. I just picked up Todd Lang. Seems to rock everywhere except development. How bad is this going to hurt my minor league system?

Updated Monday, March 21 2016 @ 1:14:01 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the old managers have ID numbers under 1400 (or perhaps 1300, can't recall).

Here's an example of one of the new managers who appears to have more in his locker than the straight 10s would indicate (I selected him randomly):-

Dirk Rose

These guys actual stats will reveal themselves over time.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Heh, I saw Lang last night and he does indeed look like a terrific manager - if you want to contend above all other things. My manager Mason is excellent at development which is why I've stuck with him.

As to what difference that makes I'm not sure and I don't think anyone has quantified it (I haven't seen anything on the forum). I would assume an excellent teacher would produce greater SI gains (or perhaps a greater number) than standard managers, and Lang might prove significantly less, but I have no data to base that on so it is just a guess.

Previous Page | Show All |