Help

Forum >> Help >> Need to cut one of my young pitchers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I have quite the dilemma. I have 6 pitchers that are 24-27 years old and are all developing, but only have room on my roster for a few of them so I need to choose 1-2 players to cut. The way I look at players is first examining their "stuff" and then adding control to see what kind of pitcher they are. I'll put the sums of of both numbers next to each player and in parenthesis will be their age. All have 13 or 14 potentials.

I have 3 open slots in my rotation if I go with a 5 man rotation and 4 if I go with 6. First is my toss-up - I've invested in Ariel Olivas for a few seasons now. He is currently 29 years old and is probably maxed out at 98 SI (had a 13 potential) with 44 stuff and 56 control. A good pitcher in my mind who has put up mediocre stats so far (his FIP indicates he can pitch to a 3.50-3.75 ERA in league IV).

Now to the young guys.
Dejuan King - (27) with 29 stuff and 45 with control added in. 90 SI with 13 POT.

Ramiro Campos - (26) with 28 stuff and 39 with control. 78 SI with 14 POT.

Craig Vaughn - (26) with 29 stuff and 41 control. 84 SI with 14 POT.

Brandon Hendricks - (25) with 28 stuff and 40 control. 74 SI with 13 POT. AA was the furthest he made before this year.

Leonardo Izquierdo - (25) with 29 stuff and 36 control. 69 SI with 14 POT. He is the only lefty of the group.

Kevin Garrett
- (24) with 35 stuff and 40 control. 84 SI with 14 POT. Only guy on the list with scouting report of control will be below average.

So that's the list. Which 1-2 guys would you recommend to cut? Or should I throw them in the bullpen for them to grow there? I have a pretty stacked bullpen as well with the oldest pitcher being 31 years old (my closer). I currently have no RHP or LHP.

My personal opinion is that Campos is the weakest of the bunch and is comparable to someone who is a year younger. But the same can be said about Vaughn. So with all this being said, I'd like to hear what you guys think I should do with all these guys.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Given that we're in the same division and any advice I'd give could hurt me..... ;)

Olivas looks to be maxed and isn't putting up great numbers

Kings a year older than ideal, but should still get close to his max potential, bit of a one pitch wonder but worth persevering with

Campos is a little hard to get a read on - he's behind in development, appeared to miss some time in AAA, but made some good gains last year and at 14 pot has gotta be worth a gamble

Vaughn definitely missed some time in AAA but has a higher ceiling that Campos - again, no harm in rolling the die there

I'd leave Hendricks in AAA for the season

Was Izquierdo recommended for AAA at the end of last season? if so I'd leave him there too, if not then he's probably on the block

Garrett - a genuine 24 year old major league guy, hopefully his control improves to around 10 or so and then he's got a big future with you (and hopefully not against me!)

So Olivas looks like a cut to me, and a couple of drops to AAA should leave you lots of room to develop the others - hope that helps!

Updated Tuesday, April 12 2016 @ 11:08:34 pm PDT

Updated Wednesday, April 13 2016 @ 4:10:56 am PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
CUT THEM ALL.

Oh wait, I'm a division rival. ;) Don't listen to JJNZ, he's in the West, what does he know?!

Seriously he has it right. Hopefully these guys all bottom out and serve up gopher balls to my hitters all year, but the opposite is more likely!
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I can't believe the two replies so far happen to come from people in my own league. What are the odds.....

So to answer some questions:

The league that everybody finished in was the league that they were recommended for last year. I held back on a few 25 year old guys and only promoted them when the league was out of my hands and I essentially punted the year and gave them some starts to gain exp.

Garrett is the only player who was recommended for the majors before 25 (he actually was recommended at the end of his 22 year old season) and I kept him back since he was young and raw. I figure with him, if he starts in the majors he could gain anywhere from 10-25 SI this year and could be a superior option compared to the rest next year when he is a more complete pitcher. Only thing holding him back is his lack of control.

I'm kind of leaning towards using Izquierdo as my LHP and Hendricks as either my RHP or keeping him in AAA for half the season and using him as RHP later on - while using one of the other guys as the RHP in the meantime. Going this route though would spread exp across the board and leave with with the same scenario next year - choosing who makes the starting rotation. So I kind of want to cut one or two and maximize exp for the rest.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Ariel Olivas hasn't done great. But maybe not as bad as it looks. He has a great GB/FB and doesn't give up many HRs. I could easily see a return to his 2025 numbers at least.

Garrett has great stuff, but sub-par control. King has great control but sub-par stuff. Campos is a bit underdeveloped, but almost any POT 14 that develops is going to be great... JJNZ advice looks pretty solid.

If you're going for development, drop Olivas. If you're going for promotion, then *maybe* reconsider. He isn't a star, but you could do worse too.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm going to hijack this thread because I have a similar issue, albeit not as nice as a problem as jetsrock48.

My SP are all old, 31+. All bar one regressed this offseason and my youngsters are mediocre. No-one on the farm is close to helping, so I want some opinions on these guys who are currently filling roster spaces. There might be nothing here as scouting reports are non-existent outside of stamina for the most part, and there may/may not be upside, but they all had decent SI gains last year to give them decent SI totals (balanced against 12 pots mostly):-

Christian Jimenez, 28 - Tipped by another V7 GM to be Rookie of the Year, finished 2nd (to my surprise, and to his teammate Anaya, who is now 30, +8 SI last year to 99). 102 SI (+6 last year), 12 pot, but all his good traits are in stamina (his only report outside of good potential), fielding and arm.

Albert Grasso, 27 - Pitched less than 10 IP in the majors last year and was demoted to AAA for the rest of the season. 90 SI (+8 last year), 12 pot. High stamina and fielding, supposed to have a major league fastball.

Sebastian Roche, 26 - Another control, stamina, fielding guy with little else. No standout scouting report of note. 97 SI (+10 last year), 12 pot.

Oscar Ayala, 26 - FA pickup last August 2026. High range score and no scouting of note. 79 SI (+19 last year, most of that not with my team), 13 pot.

I've picked up a couple of pitchers this spring but feel like I need more, although its mostly one-year rentals or too-young prospects available in FA or waivers - which means do I keep these guys, or go the alternate route?
xLee227

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Roche stands out to me as the best out of the few you mentioned, both in terms of his pitching skill and the likelihood that he'll hit his cap. I'm not sold on the rest of them being positive contributors though with less than 10 in most pitching skills beside control/stamina/defense.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Jimenez looks like the worst of the bunch to me - lots of control, but no decent pitches to do anything with! The rest will all be decent place holders until your troops start funneling through
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I cut Ayala and a 23-yo 62 SI/12 pot minors pitcher who had just a good potential report, mainly because I needed to clear roster space and make room for waiver claims (and because I needed to do something).

I must have made around 60 claims this spring and won 2 - a SP with 23 claims who was badly needed, and one batter with 7 claims who was not (he does have a good scouting report though, and might make a useful OF).

Still plenty work to do.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thought I'd update this.

Ayala was cut back then and appears to be doing fine in LL6, which is probably his level. Jimenez was cut a week ago, and I just released Roche a few minutes ago. It was hard enough to play those guys in LL5, and it has become increasingly clear that LL4 is even less forgiving.

Which basically means that unless there is something positive in a pitcher's scouting report for velocity and/or movement, coupled with at least average control, then there's not much point in keeping guys like that around at this level. I'd rather have younger pitchers with positive scouting reports learning down on the farm and be able to sign a few spot-starters off waivers to cover injuries than continue using league-average/high control only pitchers, there's just no upside to it.

(Grasso has his major-league fastball up to 15 and his SI is +5 so far this year, so at least I've gotten something.)

Previous Page | Show All |