Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitching Replacement   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
mhk

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You can do 1. 2. or 4. if you want, but just keep in mind that 3. is absolutely no problem at this point of the season, you donĀ“t need 5 starters right now.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd be hesitant to call up a guy recommended for double A at 24, since he is more likely to end up falling short of his potential than a guy at triple A at the same age.

Personally I'd either go to a 4 man rotation, or throw Harris into the rotation in a 5 man and see how he does. This can be seen as an opportunity to see whether Harris can cut it as a starter and give him the experience he will need (at least that is how I viewed these situations when I was rising through the league levels).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You might actually want to send Harris down to the minors for a bit. He skipped AAA entirely...

At this point in the season its pretty safe to go with 4 men. I'd just make sure you have a 5 option when we hit interleague play.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Stupid question, but isn't that in theory supposed to be what the spot starter's for? Or am I misreading that?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, replacing injured pitchers is what the spot starter is for, but few owners want to waste a guy on being a spot starter. I've actually gone an entire season without getting a pitching injury before. It is rare to be that lucky, but it is much better to assign pitchers to LR instead. If you have enough pitchers that you can spend a spot on spot starter then you likely don't have enough minor league guys, unless your entire roster is young, even in those cases I wouldn't do it for more than a season or two. Just my opinions...

Also, agree with Rock, Harris might benefit long term from at least half a season at AAA since he was promoted out of AA. It's a tough call, his SI appears to be high enough he might cap without going back down, but the later you wait to do it, the less likely that it would work out (i.e. minor league training appears to be much less effective the older they get past 25).

Updated Friday, April 29 2016 @ 3:50:32 am PDT

Updated Friday, April 29 2016 @ 3:54:46 am PDT
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd be against 4-man rotation at this point because of cup games and nearly no days off. In the previous seasons I even had to resort to 6-man rotation at times.

Macaluso is not an option either (in fact, I think he doesn't really have a future in the big leagues at all).

So I'm for Harris. He could use some playing time.
5L1NK

Farmington Hills Cardinals
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm moving moving forward with Harris as 5th starter & moved Segura to LR because he's my weakest pitcher. Oddly enough, Segura is getting much more action as an LR because I keep losing a SP for 5 games (First Higgins, now Roque).

@Rock & Newtman, is skipping AAA really detrimental to a pitcher in the game engine? The system suggested to put Harris at the major league level.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
He's 25, so was auto-recommended for majors whether he's ready or not.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@5L1NK, it's a judgement call even for long time owners, because the reality is that we can't know due to the variation in growth and the possibility that there might not be a way for some players to reach their potential. One commonality of many players that end up falling short of their potential is that rarely make it to AAA before being auto-recommended at age 25. Several veteran owners such as Seca, Rock, myself and others have tried giving these types of players a little extra time in the minors to see if they can still hit their potential. My personal results have been mixed, and invalided by the fact that probably my best example I just cut because I couldn't find a spot to play him.

Updated Friday, April 29 2016 @ 1:52:48 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This is what can happen to guys who skip AAA. Qiao gained 21 SI his first year up, and then came to a sputtering halt WAY below his potential.

Hasting on the other hand is a guy who was left in the minors for too long (by a bot). At 29 he is still trying to catch up to his potential. Lucky for me he has gotten closer then many.

Updated Saturday, April 30 2016 @ 6:07:04 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |