Help

Forum >> Help >> Bring him up?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Shyfire

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My shortstop of the future Ryota Toyoda just got the "he may have learned all he can" message at AAA meaning he's ready for the majors. My concern is the fact that I drafted him last season, and my shortstop of the future has only played 73 games at SS. When I bring him up I don't want to keep him on the bench I want him on the field, but at the same time I don't want him to be a nightmare in terms of errors. Should I leave him in AAA for now or should I bring him up?

http://brokenbat.org/player/125873
pyrog

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a similar situation with Chang this year. He only needed one season in the minors so not enough time for him to learn to play C. I decided to sign an extra catcher in free agency and make Chang my starting C against righties. Now he plays most games and gets substituted out after around 2 or 3 at bats. Hoping that by the end of the year he'll have enough playing time to adequately develop.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've got Ito playing 3B at LL II without even small letter position eligibility. I'm just crossing my fingers every game, but so far I've been lucky. It helps having Reyna come in as a defensive replacement in the 5th inning. So my answer is, it's up to you whether you want to waste potential Major League development time in the minors gaining eligibility.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't put a guy with no training at SS. I'd wait until he had "ss" at least.

Would you use him? At LL-5 you might be able to get away with it. If you would only use him a little, then you could always promote him just for games you use him in (like cup). If you used him at all, I'd put him in the majors for the training update. Otherwise I'd leave him down. I'm not sure how position training between majors and minors works with the training update.

BTW, Newtman, I find it quite humorous that a defensive orientated owner is playing guys completely out of position in the majors :p

I guess you wouldn't play my guys, and I wouldn't play your guys, LOL.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Eh, risk vs. reward. I am playing one player completely out of position, and he has the perfect profile for the position, at the same time I really didn't want to wait two seasons when he is already recommended for the majors. I didn't see myself promoting to Legends this season given the rather shoddy job my pitching staff did last season (with a defense that had every position player with capital position eligibility), so basically as long as Ito doesn't single-handedly get me demoted, I'm cool with finishing 2-4 this season. Next season is when my next generation pitching staff should start arriving in the majors (Quintanilla, Rosa, and Sawyer), and I will expect to be pushing for promotion. I don't recommend that people ignore position eligibility, but certain circumstances warrant strategies that I wouldn't do for every position.

Edit: Added links to Ito to show why I'm doing it.

Updated Friday, April 29 2016 @ 6:34:27 pm PDT
xLee227

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What do you folks think about playing Glover at second? His build warrants it and he's got some reps in the minors but not enough to reach a '2b' designation.

I've got White there right now, and should probably be transitioning him to the outfield soon. My other option at second in the future is Alexander, who's got a great build but no positive fielding scouting.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Two things: First, I should also clarify, another factor that should be kept in mind is the position. SS and 2B see a lot of balls hit at them (at least 5 each in lots of games), in contrast 3B sees less, so the risk is less. Second, the overriding factor in every case should be where your roster is at. I cut my long time starting 3B in the off-season because he was in decline and I wanted to go in a different direction towards Ito. While I could have drug that process out another two seasons, I chose not to because I felt my team could take the penalty that Ito would give me without relegating, but also was pretty sure I wouldn't promote even with Carr (my prior 3B).

TL;DR: When thinking about playing a young guy out of position ask yourself two questions, one, do I have better options? Two, am I willing to accept the few extra losses this guy could cost me for up to two seasons?

@xLee227, I agree Glover has an awesome 2B build, though I would stick Alexander in the OF since his lack of positive fielding report will cost you on defense over the course of his career versus Glover. White looks fine to hold down the fort for awhile, ultimately it comes down to the second question for your situation. Are you willing to put up with some errors which will cost you some games while transitioning?

Updated Friday, April 29 2016 @ 9:25:32 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Newtman - Yeah, I knew you had a logical plan of attack, it just made me chuckle to see Mr. Defense playing a guy out of position :)

xLee - Without looking at your squad, yes Glover would be a good 2B, and even a good SS. But like Newtman said, are you willing to take the error hit at one of those positions?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I remember you put in a bid a couple seasons ago on Ken Terry, a totally defensive player with no offensive value at all (20 range and amazing fielding with 16 arm, but no batting comments). I don't claim to have the best defense in the game, and although I try to win through good defense and pitching, I also don't completely neglect the offense since you have to score at least one run in order to win. I typically am providing an alternative path towards success, since several other regular posters such as yourself are more offensive oriented. Glad it made you laugh though.

Previous Page | Show All |