Help

Forum >> Help >> Can He Still Develop   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm sure he can. Some guys just go slow at times no matter how many games they get into. My CF Lawson is a 14 pot who is 1 year older - he gained just 1pt in his age 25 season, 3pts each of the two years after, and now that he's finally found form is already up 4 SI this year. Morales will get his.

I have a question though: I have two 24-year olds in AAA who have the "He may have learned all he can at this level of competition" tag. Can they still gain SI at AAA? Can they gain new positions? Or should I just promote them and find them AB if I want them to improve?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Lawson hasn't been in the majors for very long though. So he even if he doesn't reach his potential it probably won't be from stunting. I suspect that Morales is stunting a bit. But I agree that he should still grow some. I just wouldn't hold me breath for large SI gains.

I think the "He may have learned all he can at this level of competition" means he is pretty much maxed out in Training. But maybe they can still grow some. I don't think you get Experience in the minors. Of course all that Training/Experience stuff is a theory not a law.

I'm pretty sure that they can gain new positions. Position training should continue regardless of Training. I've kept guys down for short periods for additional position training, but I've never had the guts to keep a guy down long term (even if he had 0 training in his optimal position of OF). Of course the result of that is probably cutting the player sooner or later, so I'm not sure it was a good idea.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He started 2026 with a SI of 80 and started the 2027 season with a SI of 102. That's a gain of 22 in one season. You don't see that very often.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Which is a good point. If he had a lot of pops at the end of the season, it would be normal for you to see a drought for a bit. Pitchers usually gain a lot in their first two season, then go back to a more normal progression.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Byrd is a year younger, and definitely not stunted. Yet he is in a similar boat. Hasn't progressed at all this year...

Jin Qiao is also in the same boat, except he too is probably stunted and won't grow more than a couple more SI.

Updated Saturday, May 14 2016 @ 6:27:43 pm PDT
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Morales:
it took him 5 seasons to get out of single A
he played only two seasons at AA, possibly needed half a season more
skipped AAA entirely
he's stunted!
my estimate is he lost 2 points for each skill

Lawson:
he's a different problem altogether
he played 300AB in the majors only (spring training ABs unknown), instead of the 600-1200 needed to fully develop.
however, for whatever reason, he repeated SIX times AA as a college draftee. He possibly got all his minor league training in the meanwhile, but I've never seen anything quite like that

Byrd:
he pitched less than 200 IP. (spring training unknown)
Pitchers need 300 IP, maybe it takes more for him

Qiao:
he didn't even graduated from A
never played in AA or AAA
that's some 20 points he left behind
I've never seen a player to recover from such a damage
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, Byrd had multiple long injuries in his rookie year, so he only managed to get 126 innings. He has had a lot of spring training innings in the last two seasons. He has 220 IP + a good amount of spring training, so he is probably over 250 at this point. I'm still surprised he's hasn't moved at all in his second year up.

I actually had Qiao down in AAA for most of his training updates last year. Was hoping I could compensate for his lost training, but it didn't seem to help. Realistically, if he was kept at the appropriate level, he would still be in AA right now. Meaning he would start to decay before he ever reached his peak (or the majors). You can't really damage something that's already broken... I knew he was a long shot, but you need to experiment to learn how a system will work.

Updated Sunday, May 15 2016 @ 3:38:00 pm PDT
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
"Qiao:
he didn't even graduated from A
never played in AA or AAA
that's some 20 points he left behind
I've never seen a player to recover from such a damage"

http://brokenbat.org/player/97928

He might, but it's a longshot (IMO). I believe 120 SI is 15? So he is 9 SI from hitting his potential.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Lawson:
he's a different problem altogether
he played 300AB in the majors only (spring training ABs unknown), instead of the 600-1200 needed to fully develop.
however, for whatever reason, he repeated SIX times AA as a college draftee. He possibly got all his minor league training in the meanwhile, but I've never seen anything quite like that

Previous ownership, specifically the two previous owners. I took over in spring of 2026 and the organisation was a mess, bunch of guys needing promoted like Lawson (Fuentes is an even worse of criminal under-use, RotY at age 31!). Much better minors now but the Majors roster is old, not a lot I can do - was in the hunt for promotion all last season and won my division, and will now spend all this season in LL4 trying to avoid relegation, so bringing in youngsters is going to be a tough ask.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Might be worth working the youngsters in even if it means getting demoted once. I never hesitated to put a young player in until I hit LL II. If the youngsters pan out you will promote soon and you will have a young talented team instead of an old declining one.

Previous Page | Show All |