Help

Forum >> Help >> Help Steve... or if someone else can.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Razzle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In my game on June 15th Edmond 7-6 over Danville, I had a ton of injuries coming into the game. My manager started Grant who only has a big C in the Outfield and started Amador who has a big OF and small 3b at Catcher. Is there something I did that made a Catcher start in the Outfield and an Outfielder start at Catcher when the easy/smart move is for them to switch and play where they have experience???

I have not changed anything. My lineup vs. LHP listed Grant as Backup for my catcher and Amador as backup at 3B.

Confused on how to have this not happen again.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think most of us are confused about how the AI chooses its replacements. My only guess would be that it wanted to play Amador at C because he has a great arm. Still, really should have picked the natural C over an OF with a good arm. Nothing you can do to prevent it happening again, other than keeping your depth chart up to date.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
true the replacments are crazy somtimes
i have my lineup set and still have players come in to pinch hit; take a good fielder out the game then someone hits double of outfielder error.
in the 8th inning and i loose the game.
but for the most part its the comp or manager putting in hitters not replacing deffence.
i try yo log in evry day and adjust for injuries because if i do it the manager does not replace a 2B with a C/of who makes like 3 errors in a game.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The AI of the game engine takes multiple things into account when filling in for an injury -- position experience is one, but also defensive skills and offense.

Everyone seems to think that playing a guy out of position is the death knell, and there is a moderate penalty, but its probably not fatal (especially if the players defensive skills are a match).

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think its more that we want our backups to get playing time. And its frustrating when our 24 year old 3B backup doesn't play because a 30 year old 1B is being subbed in at 3rd. Situation dependent of course, but I think this is part of why folks want more control over in-game substitutions.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Razzle, I believe the AI substitutes for players from the top of the lineup down. As a rexult, it looked for the best outfield replacement first and decided that was Grant. Next came the search for a catcher; with Grant already in the lineup, it chose Amador. I think if your catcher was above the outfielder it would have made wiser decisions.

I don't trust the AI with anything for player replacements, either for injured players or in-game management. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything to do about it. We all get screwed by the silly choices.
Razzle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Steve and the others that responded!! I just wanted to make sure that I was not missing something or doing something that was causing those selections.

It does make sense that playing out of position is not the death penalty.

Previous Page | Show All |