Help

Forum >> Help >> To Cut or Not?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
bsmall84

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Have a 24 yo P still in single A. I know some pitchers can gain a heap of SI once they come to the majors level. Should I cut bait or let him develop (probably more than 1 season at AA and AAA.

Thanks

amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Some Japanese players often take a couple of years to reach their potential, while some are major-league ready. A bit of patience and Abe will probably get there.

Updated Wednesday, May 25 2016 @ 2:17:14 pm PDT
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's really just about impossible to guess. A lot of people here believe that making a player skip minors levels will stunt their maximum growth, due to the accumulation of training. The biggest issue is whether you can find him enough low leverage innings when you do bring him up to the majors. I suppose if you have no other use for the roster spot, it doesn't hurt to keep him around.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have several experiments on my team that look like that. Here is the issue. I believe he will grow best at the level he is recommended for. This is the prevailing theory. On the other hand, guys who skip minor levels will get stunted. I can attest to that. In general, guys like this just don't work out. What I am experimenting with right now is keeping guys like that down for a couple extra years. So, let him play out the rest of this year at the recommended level. Then promote to AA when he is 25. Then promote to AAA when he is 26. Then promote to majors when he is 27.

Likelihood of success in doing this is very low, plus he isn't contributing until he is almost 30. Likelihood of success with an early call up is almost 0. This is why a lot of these guys end up on the waivers.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm with Rock here. Had my share of similar guys, they usually ended up 20-25 SI points short from their max potential.
Your guy will probably end up in 80-90 SI range if you bring him up now, so either do as Rock suggested and keep him in the minors for a while, or just release him.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
He wouldn't have a place on my team, you're more likely to have success picking up a young 12 pot guy who will reach his cap and is readily available - even if he was AA I'd be hesitant but then it MAY be worth a shot.
Bill3789

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Brett Ferguson (#79928) 29 years old

Career offense:
130 games, .196/.249/.330 8 HR 47 RBI

Career defense:
116 games @ 5 different positions. 4 errors, .987 FP

Do I forget about his offense and keep him in the lineup for his glove? Do I bench him and use him as a defensive replacement? Or do I cut him?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He has kind of a bad Arm for a 3B, although there is some discussion going on in another thread that is suggesting Arm might be useless for a 3B anyhow...

Previous Page | Show All |