Help

Forum >> Help >> Late Season Melt Down   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My stud pitcher Morales who had a great Cy Young case has completely Blown Up down the stretch with 13.94 ERA and 2.03 WHIP in the last 3 games.

This is Totally different than what he has been. Is there an overall season fatigue factor I am unaware of?
I just dropped his pitch count and Hook, but am still starting him, thinking he can pitch through a (very) cold spell with some short outings.

Honestly both my Aces, Morales and Ferguson have struggled of late...just as I am trying to wrap up first place. I guess I am trying to make sure I am not doing something wrong (only second season with BB)
Thanks for any advice!

Updated Wednesday, June 8 2016 @ 9:06:36 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Is there an overall season fatigue factor I am unaware of?

I'm fairly certain there has been an official response stating there is no seasonal fatigue. I don't believe there is any fatigue beyond what's shown on your pitching page.

A bad stretch like this is either a hidden form variable or RNG replicating form. It can happen anytime in the season (its most obvious at the start of the season ... see my whiny news post about Hardy :) ).
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
"RNG replicating form"
Seca, I'm not familiar with the term.

Do you think my strategy of continuing to start him but cutting them short is a good idea... I'm thinking it gets him exposure but limits damage to my team..?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
RNG means the random number generator. So basically you are getting unlucky with the random numbers.

I think its a good idea to play through. Lower the hook or pitch count isn't a bad idea, because it just means the guy will be pitching with less fatigue. Finding the right fatigue setting for a guy is valuable.

One caveat. It is possible (but not for sure) that there are hidden variable that influence player form based on month or something. In this case, certain players may play poorly at certain points in the year. I don't think this is the case, but its possible.

In short, my thought is that a guy can't get through a bad stretch without playing. Your proposed way forward sounds smart.

Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Overall I think the strategies outlined above are fine.

I'm curious though if these struggles are basically one bad inning or a constant offensive bleeding for morales?

I have a guy that can pitch lights out but he also has been known to give up a big inning early. After the big inning he often settles down so I set his hook higher than my other starters and hope on those days my offense can bail him out. Of course some days he just gets shelled. This year he's double jinxed with the lowest run support of any of my guys. I predict next season he will vie for if not win the cy young.

Updated Sunday, June 12 2016 @ 12:48:33 pm PDT
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My Ace also blew up after the All Star game (which he was the starting pitcher) - 5 losses in a row, 3 of which against teams he should have won. I benched him, put him in the bullpen (where he pitched just as poorly) until he got a a couple of innings of good pitching. I just put him back in the starting rotation with a low pitch count.
Not sure if it will work - something has to give eventually.
Frustrating ...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just remember, the RNG does a pretty good job of replicating the frustratingly unpredictable nature of performance. Just ask any Red Sox fan.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the help guys.
It's just frustrating, a 4-16 in the last 20 games is not helping. It seems to be the entire pitching staff, hitting the top starters and my closer Flynn and setup man Portillo the most.

Maybe I'm looking the wrong direction; maybe the fielders forgot which hand to put their glove on.
I may make a few defensive changes to see if that helps.

Previous Page | Show All |