Help

Forum >> Help >> Question about steals   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When steal is set to neutral on the management screen, how are attempted steals determined? Is it solely based on each individual game situation? I'm just curious because I have some very strange numbers for my team as far as attempted steals compared to speed ratings. I have a slow team so I have only one player with + for steal on my management screen. His speed rating is 16 and he has 2 attempts all season. I have a player with a 14 rating, set to neutral. He has 0 attempts in 68 games. Then I have a few players with a 13 rating, all are set to neutral for steal. Here are there numbers:
70 games - 25 attempts
130 games - 22 attempts
93 games - 4 attempts
17 games - 6 attempts
Then I have only one player with ++ and another with + for hit and run on my management screen. My team is very dull offensively, I know. I just don't understand how my player with the higher rating and set to + has so many fewer attempted steals than slower players set to neutral.

Updated Wednesday, June 15 2016 @ 9:20:05 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Position players have a hidden characteristic that influences their ability to steal bases. It represents how well they take a lead, read the pitcher, get a jump, etc.. That's why some of your lower speed guys are actually better at stealing bases.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've found that its better to adjust the +/- on my players for steal based on their success rate. A good base stealer might already be very aggressive and might not need the nudge. While a slow guy with good base stealing instincts may well need the extra incentive. Just figure out a SB/CS that you are comfortable and tweak guys until they are hitting that ratio for you.

EDIT: And as Seca eluded to, I wouldn't really factor in speed. Speed can help a guy steal more bases overall, but their stealing ability vs. aggressiveness is more relevant to the +/-.

Updated Thursday, June 16 2016 @ 8:41:42 am PDT
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Good deal. Thanks for the help. Actually, that rings a bell for me now. I seem to recall another post I saw recently (can't remember which post) where I believe someone gave the advice to another newbie to set player(s) to attempt more stolen bases in spring training to see if they had base stealing ability. I like that hidden talent in the game as well because it's realistic. The fastest guys aren't necessarily the best base runners. Again, thanks.

Updated Thursday, June 16 2016 @ 9:18:22 am PDT
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I also have the belief that the base-runner assesses the situation to an extent. Maybe not as much as we would like (ie thinking about the number of outs before trying to swipe 3rd) but moreso in thinking about how fast he is in relation to the arm of the thrower.

If you know that catcher has a canon, you might be less inclined to run then if you had Noodlearm McGee behind the plate. Of course, the pitcher is a factor as well. Is he keeping you close to the bag or letting you get a good walking lead? How's his delivery? Does he have a long wind-up?

These are real life things good base stealers take into account when making their decision.

I assume that even if you bump up a slow guy, he won't suddenly lose every ounce of judgment ability... just become a little more daring.

Let's look at it this way...

If we were to say that a baserunner makes an estimation of his odds of being safe... and at neutral, he only goes if he thinks the chances are 75% or better... maybe -- means it needs to be 90% or better and ++ will have him go as long as he thinks he at least has 50/50 odds.

Now this doesn't represent his ACTUAL odds... just what he believes them to be. Someone with good instincts for stealing may be within a 5% margin of error here... but someone with poor instincts might overrate himself (especially if he's really fast) and think he has an 60% chance of making it when it's really more like 40%.

Probably not really how the game is coded... but that's my realistic take on things.

Previous Page | Show All |