Help

Forum >> Help >> Am I close to being correct?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was wondering if anyone has some extra time to kill if they would like to take a look at my team, then let me know if I'm close to being right about my players and how I'm projecting them. If not, that's cool, too. If you do, awesome... I always appreciate the help.

Fielders
C – Bench is going bye bye, Bryan is taking over. His ratings are all acceptable for me until something better can be found. He’s young and cheap. Grimm will take over once he’s ready.
1B – Fan will be cut after the season, I plan on having Mays take over. Scouting report says he is overmatched in majors. He should be getting his 1b soon, he has over 200 games played in the minors. Blanco is also listed as 1B but he is my starting 3B for now. Salvador is meh, I like Bonilla better.
2B - May is gone after the season. Then J. Salgado is the man unless I can find comparable for less $. I know he will lose some SI, but I don’t have anyone close to ready to take over at 2B. For the future I like Quinones at AA with a weak arm more than I like Ureno at A. Wait and see.
3B – Blanco is starting with Yamada spelling him. I just switched Byrd to train at 3B, he had been training OF until recently. He should be at least 3b by the time he is ready for promotion. Rosario, I don’t know… I’m worried that he’s 22 and is still playing Rookie.
SS – Going with O’Conner until Esquivel takes over in a couple seasons. Swanson will be gone.
LF – Martin may be back next season, depending on how much SI he loses. Knapp is his backup but he sucks in the field. Iversen should be ok but he’s only 17.
CF – Barrios and V. Salgado will hold down CF for now. I’m not sure Corrales will be ready by the time he turns 25. Perry was a late season draft pick that may turn out to be my future CF.
RF – Turner will be gone so next season is TBD. Baca at AA doesn’t have the arm. I like Thomason but he’s in Rookie ball.

Pitching

Majors
There’s a very strong possibility that Marks, Carroll, Barry, Camacho, and Alvarado will all be gone. Sosa has performed well for his ratings but he’s MR with a short leash, nothing more. Bermudez has gained a ton of SI this season but still, it’s not like his ratings are anything special. He can eat innings, I guess. Saldana is my ace. Muller is hard for me to figure out. I know his fielding numbers are high. I’d rather he have more CoS and Mov but you can’t win ‘em all, right? He’s the one I’ve asked about recently in the forum. I had him start a few games recently due to injuries. First two were brutal, last two better but still not great. Scouting report also says he’s overmatched in majors. I know he’s 24 but he’s exceeded his POT. I don’t know. With all that being said I will be raiding the waiver wire ASAP for next season.

Minors
There aren’t many of my pitchers in the minors that I’m very attached to.
AAA - I have Gentry and Poli, both of whom I believe will be very good in time.
AA - I have Kennedy, Wise, and Leon all projecting as possible starters. Vigil I have pegged for my closer. A – Not sure if I’m keeping Mayer yet. I already released him once a couple seasons ago. Signed him again this season because I felt I was short on pitchers in the minors. I like Aragon quite a bit, even with the throw all day tag.
Rookie – Davis is a project.

Like I said, I appreciate any help/advice. Not to kiss up or anything but this game has, by far, the best group of people in the forums/community that I've encountered.

Updated Friday, June 17 2016 @ 1:00:49 pm PDT
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Your choices look fairly sound to me, though I have been playing 2years myself lol. The few big problems I see are

1-your team is very weak against lhp

2-you have no speed

3-you have no power,which makes 2 even more of a problem

4-your pitching is very old

On the bright side,your minors look solid. You are just going to have to suffer thru growing pains the 2-3 seasons. Start bookmarking free agents now that you want to place waivers on for next season
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
A lot depends on your strategic outlook. I'm going to assume you are looking at a rebuild, in which case, its not bad to cut any of the older guys.

C
Bryan isn't that great. Grimm should do fine, but that fielding is wasted a bit at C. Make him 3B as a secondary position for added flexibility.

1B
Mays might actually develop better if you leave him in AAA until the end of spring training, and then bring him up. He looks like a good player, but a righty with lack of power is a concern for 1B. He can also play OF as need, although I'd keep him out of RF.

Salvador looks decent, but his fielding profile is a mess, and his BC looks to be a concern.

Bonilla looks pretty good. Lower power again. A lot of range for a 1B. Not bad, but probably not helping a lot. Bonilla would be a great LF.

I think Baca is the better option for 1B. Those other two could be playing in the OF.

2B
Quinones should be a great 2B. Ureño could also be a great batter and a passable defensive 2B. Being a lefty, he gives you platoon options as well. I'd definitely keep them both.

3B
I'm not a huge Yamada fan. Mostly due to his lack of hitting. His arm is also kind of week for 3B.

Byrd isn't a huge step up in Arm strength, but he looks like a better overall player. He will probably promote sooner then you would like, so he might struggle a bit fielding at 3B. Its a difficult position to play without full experience.

22 in Rookie is definitely a red flag. Rosario also, doesn't have a great hitting outlook. I'd consider dropping him.

SS
Esquivel looks like a nice future SS.

LF
From a fielding perspective, I think Knapp looks fine for a LF.

I think Iversen has too much fielding for an OF, but if you like him, maybe try him out at CF.

Bonilla would be better at LF.

CF
Corrales is a little underdeveloped and his hitting and BC don't look real good. I'd try to find a better option for your future CF. Maybe Iversen?

RF
Since you don't have a strong option here, why not Salvador? Baca would be better at 1B.

A lot of Thomason SI is in defense, and he is a righty. OF seems like the wrong place to put him. His hitting may also be disappointing.

You power distribution is a little weird. You have some nice power up the center, but less power in the corners. Not a bad thing, but the corners don't need so much defensive ability, so you should be able to get premium hitters at LF,RF, and 1B at least. And preferably a couple lefties in that mix.

Pitching
I'd keep Sosa on that short leash. He probably won't pitch 2.96 again, but he should do better than 9.31.

Bermúdez missed AAA, so he might end up stunting.

Saldana looks great.

Its a bit early to call on Muller still, but I think he might do ok moving forward. He hasn't done too badly so far, and his control will be a boon. My guess on Muller is that he has 3-4 points of Control in his POT. So the AI thinks he isn't ready yet because he has so much more growth in that one rating. Still, probably the right choice to bring him up anyhow. He should still gain the control.

I'm assuming you brought up Gentry and Poli just for the last week of the season? I'd make sure they go back to AAA for spring training.

Virgil looks to become a great pitcher. I really like the looks of him.

Kennedy could make a decent starter.

Leon and Wise look like decent options. Just know Leon is going to have super low velocity (junkball pitcher).

Mayer is a little underdeveloped, but looks ok.

Aragon looks fine.

Davis could be good. Too early to tell.

I think your minor look fine. If you want to dump all the old guys though, your going to need replacements, so yeah, hit the waivers. You should be able to grab a few of those underdeveloped 25 or 26 year olds everyone else has given up on.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the input, guys. Jason, you ain't lying that my team is slow and lacks power! It's funny I look at the league leaders and I have exactly 0 players in the top 10 in any of the offensive categories. My pitching, well, my pitching is pretty much Saldana and then cast-offs from other teams. I started about a month into 2024 and my strategy so far has been to patch together a pitching staff from waivers/free agents. That strategy has dropped my finances about $12M in those 3 seasons so I'm trying to get younger/cheaper but it's a slow, sometimes frustrating process.
Rock... wow, thanks for going through so thoroughly. As for my strategic outlook, lol... I'm tyring to stay somewhat competitive while waiting for my younger players to make it to the big club and for my team to actually become my team. I'm probably going to promote again but I have a feeling I'll be right back down to VI after next season. I don't know, maybe I should just unload the older/more expensive players after the season and just fill holes until some of my better minor leaguers are ready to come up. I noticed a couple times you mentioned that certain players would be wasting defense in the position I had them slotted to play. The main reason I did that is because my defense this season was brutal. I know that there are some other factors like my stadium being grass and my manager having a defensive rating of 7 that may play into that, but overall my team sucks defensively and I wanted to improve on that. I see what you're saying with some of my fielders, as far as switching positions for some of them. Trust me, I'm constantly switching them around in my mind, lol. For a few weeks I had Corrales at SS and Esquivel in CF and them switched them back. For my pitchers, Bermudez was suggested to promote to majors, that's why I brought him up. Gentry and Poli were up due to injuries and are going back down as soon as I finish this post. I'm going to stick with Muller in the majors, see what happens. I guess I just need to figure out what to do for next season. Do I accept that I will be relegating back to VI after nest season and dump the old/expensive players or do I try to stay as competitive as possible, hopefully stay in V until some of my players are ready? Decisions, decisions...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
All players get recommended to the majors when they turn 25, even when they aren't ready. Bermudez probably should have spent this year in AAA. Now he is turning 26 he might not get much out of AAA, but it *might* be worth trying to get him a few AAA updates if you can. Up to you. He will probably stunt a little bit regardless.

Fielding in important for 2B, SS, and 3B, but its not so important for the other positions. My 1B has a career .986 FP in 3929 attempts. He only has 5 fielding. OFs, 1B, and Catchers don't need fielding to play well defensively. OFs need Range, and Catchers need Arm.

While fielding is important for SS and 2B, Range is the most critical. Your current 2B and SS are a bit low on range. I prioritize range in the infield over range in the OF (yes even CF). My CF is generally just the rangy guy who can't field. My 2B is the SS with a weak arm. And my SS has to be good at everything (but Range is king). I think you're defense will improve a lot once you get some more rangy infielders up on the team.

Previous Page | Show All |