Help

Forum >> Help >> Stunted Development   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Hatleyville

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have seen the word "stunted" used frequently in reference to the development of young players that are promoted too early in their careers. I was just curious if someone could explain this concept a little better. Is there a way to calculate how stunted a particular player will be? To prevent this, is it as simple as just following the reassignment recommendations for each of the players?

I hadn't really worried about it before, but now I am starting to see the affects on some of the guys I inherited.

Like this guy in particular - http://brokenbat.org/player/107769

24yo, in single A ball, and doesn't have too much room for improvement. I can only assume, he was "stunted".
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh my! That player is painful to look at. He could have been a superstar, but he popped the dreaded "He doesn't have too much room for improvement." This means that he will only gain about 3 more SI at best.

You are correct in your assumption. The fact that your example played about 5 seasons in the majors (In a backup role moreover which didn't help.) is the reason he is stunted. And yes, if you haven't already, put all of your players in their recommended levels. Typically, not always, but most of the time, the recommended level is the right one.

Edit: To answer your specific questions: I don't know of any way to precisely calculate how stunted a player is, it is just a feeling you get the more you play the game. If a player plays 3 years in the bigs before he turns 21, you can bet he will be stunted. Long story short, put your guys in the recommended levels and they should be fine :)

Updated Wednesday, June 29 2016 @ 1:11:00 pm PDT
Hatleyville

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the reply. And yes, it is super frustrating to know that Mantle will never reach his full potential and most likely dropped. He is the best example on my team, but there are probably 5 or 6 other guys that will follow suit.

The bot owner really has a way of making sure your inherited team is abysmal now AND in the future...

But I suppose there is a silver lining - once you tear a team down and build it back up, all success can be due to the effort and time you put in.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As to the why, it is because a player can only gain a certain percentage of his potential SI from major league experience, while the rest has to come from minor league training. To make the game more realistic, that percentage differs by player, and is hidden from us, so you are almost always best off going with the recommended level.

You did catch one break with Mantle, he is still young. Leave him at single A until he is recommended for AA (or 25, whichever is sooner), then give him a season at AA, and another at AAA. Bring him up to the majors at 27, and he might actually be at his cap. Several experiments have been done on players like him to see if they can recover, and the results are mixed, but not totally bad. Mantle also appears to be a guy worth investing the roster spot on as well.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, I would suggest following the method Newtman highlighted. It will help him recover a lot of his lost SI, if not all of it. If you bring him up at 27 you'll still get a good 5 years out of him.

One other thing, once he starts gaining minors training he will probably lose that tag, but he is still very much on the fence, so I'd still stick with Newtman's plan.

Updated Wednesday, June 29 2016 @ 2:38:21 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The other big plus with this is he didn't play very much. Only about 400 ABs. So even though he has the message I suspect he will still benefit from some experience. You may be able to bring him up sooner than 27.

Edit: think I may have been looking at his minor league page. He's at 700 ABs. Still may have some experience in the tank, but less than I led on.

Updated Wednesday, June 29 2016 @ 3:31:32 pm PDT
Hatleyville

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Great info. We'll see how he, and others, shakes out.

Thanks again

Previous Page | Show All |