Forum >> Help >> Frustrating player   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/87962

Hector, you bonehead.

He has a decent hit tool and a ton of power. I play him only against righties because he hits left. Yet I assume his lack of plate discipline is dragging him down, although I see a respectable year last year. I am training specifically for PD. He remains entrenched in a season-long slump. Is there hope that he will get a clue and start hitting? Help?
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Alright, long explanation...

First, all the training does is speed up which skills develop with the younger players, it does not increase their maximum ratings. Castellano is 28 years old and is about at his maximum SI (skill index). He has 12 POT (potential) which means his SI will end up being between 96-103 and he already has 98 SI. I wouldn't count on him improving much more.

Second, there is no mention of his hitting ability in his scouting report. It only says he will be a prolific slugger, which you have correctly assumed means that he has plenty of power. As for hitting ability, 11 hitting is not that good frankly. Personally, I don't pick up anyone unless they have at least a "good hitter" tag (which means that that hitter will have between 13-16 hitting ability) except for one exception -- a high potential player that can field exceptionally well.

Third, even if Castellano had 14+ hitting ability, I probably would not play him because, like you said, his PD is exceedingly low -- limiting his on base percentage. Sure, Castellano may hit 17-20 homers a season, but I wouldn't count on anything more than a .230 average and .275 on base percentage in division VI. If you are in any higher division, he would be completely useless because he is not even that great of a fielder.

Finally, fourth, to answer your actual question, yes he will regress to his career averages at some point in the season. He will not bat .091 all year. I would guess he will hit about what I said above.

Updated Sunday, July 24 2016 @ 6:44:07 pm PDT
Huaraches25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a similar player only his hitting is 17 and 11 BC, yours is vice versa. He also has low plate discipline and got off to an abysmal start. I expressed my worries in a thread here and most people have told me that slumps like this are common but stick out to you more in the beginning of the year and he should hit around what you expect of him over the course of the season
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Edit: Sorry, double post

Updated Sunday, July 24 2016 @ 6:45:31 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Although they look similar on paper, those two player's aren't that similar Huaraches.

Giles has a career OPS of .790. He has shown that he is a good player in the past. So he is very likely to pull his AVG up to at least .270 by the end of the year. Giles has also shown a tendency to hit balls up (and over the fence).

While Castellano was a later bloomer, his career .634 OPS is not as encouraging. He seems to be more of a line drive hitter. He would probably do a little better in a ballpark with lower walls, but he has never shown the same kind of HR production as Giles.

Giles should recover to his previous performance. Castellano has never been very good, and I wouldn't expect him to start being a productive player at this point.

The ratings we see are only part of the picture, you really do need to look at past performance for guys who have several years in the league (especially if they haven't developed much).

Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock

I was just giving a general guideline, but you are absolutely correct. Past performance is very important.
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
After I sent the post, I went back and looked in more detail at his sheet. His splits are backward. He hits at a somewhat respectable clip against lefties. I'll give him some shots in that lineup and see what happens before I drop him. Thanks, everybody for your advice. It looks like he was some of the dead wood I should have kicked out when I picked this team up.

Previous Page | Show All |