Help

Forum >> Help >> New, need some help.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
simpleton54

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey everyone. I'm new to this game and loving it. I was hoping you can give me some pointers or help me with what I should be doing in regards to my team. Take a look and see. My team plays well then loses 3 straight and then will win 1 and so on. I think my teams better than that but that's why I'm here.

Any ideas, pointers or help you can give me I'm all ears. Drop/release, pick up, farm system... I'm willing to listen.

Thanks everyone.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
At a very quick glance - you've got a couple of older guys who you could move on from - Rasmussen, Montes, Mason, Foster, Gamez to start with. They're only going to get worse with age, and there are better, younger players in free agency as it stands.

Minors - don't bother with anyone below 12 potential generally, there's plenty in free agency better than what you have there. Drop anyone who doesn't match that and troll through the 12 and 13 pot guys in FA, you'll see what I mean there.

Look for pitchers without 'lack of control' scouting, and ideally with lower fielding stats, and then look for hitters who match the areas you're short on, idealy with a hitting comment - I.E if you need a short stop then set your parameters (such as minimum 15 range and arm) and have a hunt - you'll be surprised what you'll find.

Lastly - go nuts on the waiver claims, anyone who is an upgrade throw a claim in on, you never know what gem you'll find there.

Most importantly, Enjoy!

simpleton54

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks, JJNZ, appreciate it. Anyone else with any other good pointers for a newcomer?
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
JJNZ has given you a good start.

Not only should you dispose of any and all 11 POT guys if possible, try not to have anyone over age 25 in your minor leagues - beyond 25 they won't be developing down there anyway, and will need major league experience.

So (from your minors) I'd cut: Ikeda, Kato, Velazquez, Guillen, Righetti, Appleton (all AAA) and Emery (A ball). You also have a couple of guys "overmatched at this level" - go to "Reassign Players" and move them to the recommended level (highlighted with a red down arrow).

There are usually plenty of 13 potential young hitters on waivers/free agency so go hunting there, and look for guys 25 or younger - you have an old team that could use a refresh.

Also, change your manager for one of the "new" ones. The older-style managers like yours have no scouting report, so look for one with no (or little) experience and a positive report, particularly for Development as this will help your young guys get better quicker. New managers also get paid the minimum ($0.5M) so you'll save money too.

And I'd start playing Rojas at 1B. He doesn't have the fielding stats for anywhere else and while playing him at DH will be fine its better to have options in your lineup. He has the best hitting report you can get, so you want to make the most of it (he could max out at 19/18/18/18 for Hit/BC/PD/Power, or something close to it).
Trebbie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
New as well, have started releasing players and trying to claim off waivers/free agent signings.

What about manager? Should I change him? What do you look for when changing manager?
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
You have one of the newer managers, which is why he's listed as "a good teacher of the game", which is good. Question is now if you can find someone who is also a good teacher (or better yet, excellent) AND good at coaching hitters and/or defense and/or pitchers.

I'd have your lineup like this (when healthy and not accouting for splits vs. LHP/RHP):-

C: Garza/Ingram
1B: McMahon
2B: Vazquez - he's a terrible 2B but you don't have anyone else on your roster who qualifies, and you DO NOT want to play someone without even the 2b note there.
3B: Hood - you'd want a little better range and a much better arm, but playing him here lets you put Ibarra at DH.
SS: Estevez - good fielding, but you really want better range and a much better arm too.
LF: Zappa/Harper
CF: Palma - best Range/Arm combo
RF: Calderon - his fielding is wasted at 1B and although 12 Range isn't ideal for an OF his 16 Arm will play well in right.
DH: Ibarra - You want his bat in the lineup and he's not a good fielder anywhere.

I'd cut Avalos, Fuentes, Luna and possibly Amaya. Get your young guys as much playing time as you can if you're in full rebuild, or 20-30AB/week if you're not. Is Pak recommended for the majors? At 82 SI he probably is, in which case he needs to play but as he's a terrible fielder its probably best he plays some DH. You really need better fielding options at 2B/SS.

Your pitching isn't bad but could do with getting younger, and it isn't really necessary to carry 13 pitchers - 11 is fine, and 12 more than enough. And you'll soon need the roster spots for...

Minor leaguers. Get some. Eleven is WAY too few, and you need to stock up ASAP - most GMs carry a near-full roster of 49/50 players, so you have a spot available for waiver pickups and that week's draft pick. There are usually a ton of prospect hitters (and less pitchers) available in free agency, and you'll find better options on waivers so you should be checking the lists and putting in claims every day.

Tanner will be a stud at C with that Arm, and as a 15 POT. I'd cut Alicea ("never be a decent hitter" is a death sentence for me), Stallings ("control lacking" is another no-no), Kruger (no positive pitch report) and Felix (way under-developed; by the time he's ready he'll be starting to decline).

Hope that helps. :)
Trebbie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks yeah been placing waivers everyday. Picked up 3 so far.
Dak I recommended for majors. Have him DH against lefties for now.

Previous Page | Show All |