Help

Forum >> Help >> How to win in Broken Bat   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
One strategy is patience. You need patience before you start seeing results. Players will get better by the week and their stats will get better.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
6 seasons just now getting results from team.
Lots of things make a team in brokenbat.
The thing i trying to do with my team best deffence.
want to see if i can hold .500 for atleast 4 years in a row also. its realy what you want good scouting and good pick in draft is key to building the team you want ???WAIVER??? is luck of the draw and i have bad luck with it so just do what you feel is right to win division in league i look at all teams in my league and try to judge who is strong against my team. then try to beat them.
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
be patient. The minor leagues will get better as you draft more talent and phase out the weaker and older players. It will take time for those guys to develop to the point where they can be quality players.

It'll start showing up in the W-L column soon after.
ihocreturns

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You should add a ? to your thread title.

I came here thinking it was a tutorial.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@zonablazer

Every roster could use improvement, yours is no exception. In basic terms, you need hitters that can hit (positive hit report) and pitchers that can pitch (at least one positive pitch report, no negative control).

From your roster I'd immediately cut Avalos, Colon, Hasegawa and possibly Wilson too - Chung is a good hitter with an 18 Arm, an ideal catcher, so just play him all the time and cut the others, there's no reason to carry five catchers. Radford and Guiliani (and possibly Stark and Quiroz) can go too.

From your pitchers I'd immediately cut Gray, Conway, Salas, Wall and Carrasco - they're not very good, and their numbers show it.

Your minors are okay, but I'd be cutting the 11 POT guys and the guys in Rookie ball whose only reports are fielding. You might want to play Redmond at 2B until he gets eligibility there, having options to move guys around your lineup is very useful (he'll be a stud either way).

Updated Saturday, August 13 2016 @ 4:58:30 pm PDT
zonablazer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While I appreciate the help, most of you misread the point of this thread.

I am looking to make this a tutorial. Place your advice here for teams who want to learn, how to win at this game.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A tutorial on how to win is kind of impossible, because everyone has different pieces to work with, and the Random Number Generator always plays a role from generating which choices you have in the draft to waiver claims to whether your hitter strikes out or hits a home run. All you can do is maximize your chances of success, but that doesn't guarantee wins. I think that is why everyone wanted to offer advice on how to improve your team.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
"A tutorial on how to win is kind of impossible, because everyone has different pieces to work with [...] All you can do is maximize your chances of success, but that doesn't guarantee wins."

This.

But since you guys asked for some tips, this is mostly what I did:
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of your team. See what positions need improvement and where you are safe.
- Create a depth chart to see if you have youngsters coming in a few years to cover all positions.
- Cut all hopeless players over 30.
- Look for free agents that can make the lineup rightaway, surely there's plenty of those when you start.
- Look for free agents youngsters with good scouting reports (digging through 12 potentials will do you wonders). You will probably cut most of them before they hit the Majors, but this doesn't matter too much.
- Place tons, TONS of waiver claims. You get lucky on one or two and team quality can go up significantly.
- Adjust ballpark to how you want your team to perform and to your strengths and weaknesses - pitchers' park or homerun derby each game?
- Don't worry to rotate your lineup a lot during first few years as you try to complete the roster.
- Don't judge only by attributes, but also by performance. The real skill value may differ from what you see.
- Don't judge only by performance and make decisions in rush ;) A guy can have one bad season, right?
- Have a plan for each season. Do you want to promote? Or maybe you want to rebuild, train youngsters and forget about winning? Act accordingly.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Often overlooked is that we all build our clubs to what we think will be the best in our own eyes. Thing is, league make-up changes by up to 50% in middle divisions, meaning you might build a winner based upon what should win this year, but next years new clubs could be oh so very different, negating your teams strengths.

On the other hand, what you consider a weakness this season could be your strength next season based upon the new clubs coming in.

My take: don't get down you aren't promoting each and every year. You might have a 95 win team, but get unlucky by having an even better team drop into your division each year.

Like wuggla said earlier, it's a slow process. There is no quick build (anymore).
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Patience is number one. You need to build through youth movements. So focus on drafting well (scouting reports) and putting in waiver claims and people with high potential that are still young. My team now consists of players that have 13-15 POT (most have achieved their potential) at every position. But this took many seasons of drafting and waiting for the guys to develop.

The hardest thing I've had to deal with is waiting too long to cut players. So someone that has been on my team for 10+ years and is only 29 but is now blocking that stud 24 year old who has yet to achieve his potential? Tough move but you need to determine when is the best time to cut that player and let your kids develop. In this game once the prospects start getting playing time - their training skyrocket. So either determine if a season is a lost cause and promote that player or just insert him and hope for the best from day one.

Finding scraps on the Free Agent market also help. There are some players that teams overlook but they can be of use to you. I've had several of these players that have produced all star type numbers for a season or two that barely got any waiver claims or I just picked up through Free Agency. So determine what your weaknesses are and rather than looking for that superstar player, looking for players with a flawed stat in certain categories but high skills in other ones.

To sum up:
1) Draft well and focus on young guys do develop through Waivers
2) PATIENCE - leave your kids in the minors and don't just throw them into the fire. This will take several seasons but hopefully 80% of your minors reach their potential.
4) Know when to cut certain players and make your priority to train the young stars of your team.
3) When you have a solid core of young guys, find scraps through FA and waivers that can help you fill holes.

Updated Monday, August 29 2016 @ 3:48:10 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |