Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitching Woes   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting. Polar Bears have allowed the fewest HRs. 2nd fewest BBs. Good indicators. Last in Ks does suggest more balls in play. If this was a real-life team I'd say they were getting BABIP'd to death, but I don't really think BABIP applies very well in BrokenBat.

The first thing to check when a team's FIP is noticeably better than ERA is the defense. But the Polar Bear defense looks quite good. (62 errors seems like a lot, but has only cost 35 unearned runs. Dinos have made fewer errors and have almost twice as many unearned).

With 3 lefty starters the next thing to check is to see if it is a lefty-eating league. Doesn't seem that bad for southpaws tho.

There are a few guys with a build I'm not fond of (Boyd, Harrison). Big fastball not a ton of control. I'm leery of guys like that. Seem to throw a lot of meatballs.

I'm wondering if the hook is contributing to the poor numbers. I consider a 5 hook extremely small. BB-BB-HR and the starter is out of the game. No chance to recover. If you have a couple of games like that, it can have a noticeable affect on the season stats.

I get there are different views on hook. I personally have my unreliable guys on 9, while the guys I have some faith in are unlimited. I like giving them a chance to right the ship. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Newtman - Totally agree, it doesn't address an early blow up issue. I was just giving an general statement about pitch count and starters. Not just for meltdowns though. I'd rather get the guy out of there before he puts even one runner on base. If my starter hits his hook, then I left him in too long.

Seca - Yeah, I do something similar with hook, although I do the reverse for my unreliable LHS. I give him a very low hook (also because I don't want him pitching against too many batters).

Updated Wednesday, August 17 2016 @ 12:28:48 pm PDT
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I tried a 5 hook a few seperate occasions. It just drove me absolutely crazy when the starter would have a bad first inning and YANK!!! If they allow 5/6 runs in the first few innings, fine he does't have it that day. It happens. But at just 3 runs they still have a chance at a quality start. It's not uncommon for pitchers to give up 3 ER in the first inning then throw a complete game. I set hooks for all my starters (except my very unreliable ones) at a conservative 7.

Updated Wednesday, August 17 2016 @ 6:54:31 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, that's also why I use 7. 3 runs still seems like a reasonable performance to me for a starter. I could easily understand why some choose to leave a starter in after 4 runs with a 9 hook, I just don't have much trust in my rotation.

Updated Wednesday, August 17 2016 @ 8:04:02 pm PDT
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I had a 6 hook on Wells for his last start, he gave up 6 ER over the first 1 2/3 innings and still finished the inning - my LR was unfatigued and is set to come in at inning 1, that one baffled me, I might try a longer hook again then if its a common approach, because the fewer innings my bull pen has lately the better.

Thanks all for the feedback, good to know its user error (or a learning experience) as opposed to just poor luck!
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
good to know its user error (or a learning experience) as opposed to just poor luck!

There probably is a fair amount of bad luck in there. Just isn't much that can be done about that. :)
Trebbie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Can someone breakdown or explain what each category means. Hook, first inning, ect.

On my iPad so can't scroll over and get a definition. Making sure I know what I'm setting. I've had a couple starters yanked real early.

How do you set what inning each specific reliever group comes in?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Make sure you check out the manual, as it has this sort of info in there.

Pitch Count = after the pitcher has finished up with the current batter, if he has more than this many pitchers he will be taken out (if there is another pitcher available).

Fatigue Limit = don't bring this guy into the game if his fatigue is too high. + means you will allow him to be more fatigued.

Hook = pitcher will be pulled if he gives too many hits/runs

- 2 * Earned Runs > Hook
- Total Runs + Base Runners > Hook

First Inning = the first inning a pitcher can be considered to come into the game.

RD = What run difference in the game will this pitcher be considered to come in.

Intentional Pass = whether or not to allow the pitcher to intentionally walk batters.

Updated Thursday, August 18 2016 @ 3:55:23 pm PDT
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
To drag this back up from the dead, I've made a few cuts in the off season and have a little more faith in my staff now, by the 5th starter spot reminds a question mark behind Trevino, Figueroa, Boyd and Chavarria.

My options are:
Turner - poor against RHB - likely LR
Huber - poor against RHB - likely LHS
Livingstone - weak against LHB but improved at the end of last season - possible an RHS
Brady - results aren't there yet but has no splits.

I'm leaving towards Livingstone currently so I can use Brady in MR, but I'm not 100% sure - Livingstone would look good at the back of my pen - thoughts?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a strategy I've always tried to employ, making the normal first reliever opposite handed from the starter to try and get all the pinch hitters into the game for the opposing team that I can. It plays havoc with their defense.

Previous Page | Show All |