III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes

and

No
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For this reason, I often pair up pitchers. I would have one on the "trailing" end and one on the "leading" end.

I basically have one LR that's set between 4 and infinity and another that's set between negative infinity and -4.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You need to be careful about using RD settings like Crazy Li stated, though. In his example, neither LR can come in when the game is close. Depending on my need at the time, I set them one of two ways:

(1) Best guy first with the RD for closer games, like -5 to 5. I like this because the best guy left will come in for extra innings. For the second, worse pitcher I make the RD -infinity to +infinity.

(2) If I'm trying to get a young guy innings when we're getting killed, I'll set the young lesser guy first at -infinity to something like -5. Then the better guy I'll make second with -5 to +infinity.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I used to have one LR set to -infinity / -3, because I only wanted him to come in when the game was lost. After a couple games where I got a MR injured, and my starter threw 150+ pitches, I decided that was a bad idea. The ONLY pitchers that can come in during a blown game are LR and MR. If a couple get injured and you have RD settings, you can end up having your starters pitch all game. Now I only use the RD settings for my closer.

EDIT: Its probably safe to have one LR with RD settings as long as you have 2 LRs and 2 MRs.

Updated Sunday, November 20 2016 @ 9:26:45 am PST
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@MukilteoMike: absolutely correct. I should have posted a warning with my message. The LR will never come in during a close game under those settings... and that's exactly what I want.

I run 12 pitchers because I keep getting guys recommended for the MLB faster than my vets drop. Well, more it's a problem that I can't safely cut any of my old guys because I don't have clear-cut winners between them and they often are more reliable than the young guys.

I also run a 4-man rotation most of the year due to being unable to get 5 solid starters.

As a result, my settings do work very well for me. LR never pitches in close games. I use them merely to get work in no-risk situations.

I also have a pair of MRs who can handle closer affairs when the starter falters too early for the SU.

I also have a guy sitting at SS which I was lead to believe functions as another LR if he doesn't start that game.

I figure this is sufficient coverage for the rare games where a starter has to be pulled early but it's not a blowout.

I also check the site often enough to catch fatigue or injury issues and would adjust accordingly on the spot... but I haven't actually run into a case of needing to do that in at least 2 full seasons.

If you're running a slimmer pen, you definitely shouldn't restrict your LR so heavily though, I agree.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's the same setup that got me in trouble. One MR got injured, and the other one was fatigued. Starting pitcher blew up in the 4th and had 155 pitches by the 6th inning.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Did you have a spot starter? Don't they function like LRs?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Honestly can't remember if I had a SS or not.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In case anyone is wondering, I confirmed SS can be used as another LR (unless you have a 6-man rotation, then SS is SP6 and will NOT pitch relief)

I had a game where my starter got pulled in the 3rd inning after giving up 4 runs. My losing by 4+ runs LR entered the game and only recorded 2 outs before giving up 5 runs, which was enough to get him yanked on his 8 hook. In came the SS with the game now 9-0 in the favor of the other team.

Not a fun way to see the settings in action, but at least I know I have a safety net in that role.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Good to know.

Previous Page | Show All |