Forum >> Help >> Which position   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That was just the 12 POT guys. As to your other minors:-

AAA

Love - great Arm for C, not enough Fielding or Range for SS.
Gonzales - has gotten the call to the Majors so needs to get games there starting NOW. He fits better at 3B rather than OF.

A

Sokolov - decent pitcher but a ways off, like most international players.
Smits - cut. Guys who lack control, especially "wild" guys, will only hurt you in the end.
Salas - low upside 1B, will have high BC and PD but worth cutting. I prefer good hitters with more power at that position.
Diamond - much better 1B prospect, which is why you could cut Salas.
Waggoner - a guy to build around. Probably not enough range for 2B or SS, but would be an outstanding 3B.
Gallegos - another 1B prospect but a good one. I'd keep him, Diamond and Duran (see below) and cut the others.

Rookie

Aquirre - ceiling of a 4th OF, I'd cut.
Duran - good 1B prospect.
Pena - decent 2B prospect.
Bragg - good defensive CF/speed guy but terrible hitter, so I'd cut. If he was a righty you could have trained him at SS for the defensive skills but he isn't so not worth it.

As a general rule try to find pitchers with a positive pitch report (fastball, breaking ball) and no negative control report; and hitters with "good" or better hitting and/or "decent" or better slugging. There are some exceptions but that should serve you well - its what I use.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In general, you should be cautious of your pipeline. Your standards for players should rise over time. Replace players as you upgrade, rather than doing wholesale cuts.

Having SI in arm and range for a pitcher is not that big a deal. Especially if they don't have a lot of stamina. Stamina costs 1.25 SI points a piece, while arm and range only cost 0.5. I would have kept Ramirez for your team. He will have very high CoS and Control.

"Deadeye" Oono is a POT 13, but he can give you a pretty good idea what a pitcher can end up as despite having very high defensive stats. Just subtract out 6 points on velocity and he is a POT 12. People have a tendency to overweigh defensive stats.

EDIT: Auto-correct doesn't recognize overweigh as a valid word :/

Updated Monday, September 5 2016 @ 8:54:13 am PDT
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would train him as OF to eventually play at LF.... but would be looking to cut him when something better comes as you build your minors pipeline through waivers or draft.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely no need to make further cuts, but comments on a few other guys.

Brito - At 20 years old, he is very advanced and developing extremely well. I would expect to get a lot out of him in the future.

Love - Would be better at Catcher or 3B, if you want to spend the time retraining him. It does look like you could use another Catcher.

Caballero - I actually think he can be ok as a backup 2B, depending on how is hitting develops. Upgrade when you get a chance, but no need to cut immediately. He can also play DH if he develops decently.

Montgomery - I would probably make him a 3B.

Duran - I would give him secondary training in the OF. You have too many 1B, and a second position gives you more flexibility.

Bragg - never be a decent hitter is one of the few red flags I consider an instant cut. If you do keep him around, I would give him SS training. Even with the fielding penalty, his fielding will be so high he should do ok at the position defensively.

You have a lot of 1B prospects, so I would either find other spots they can play, or find replacements. Also, fielding is pretty useless at 1B
, so fielding is always wasted on lefties unless you are going to play them out of position. Lefty or switch hitters are always better to have than right handed hitters, so give them priority. Having a solid right handed 1B for platoon isn't bad, but having a lot of right handed 1B isn't worth while. They field the position with a little bit of a penalty, plus they don't hit right handed pitchers as well.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
No hanging around with this guy, 9 cuts already!

Maybe I should ask him to give me all his money... ;)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think cutting Argueta was a big mistake for someone still building their team. He could end up being a very high stamina, CoS, and control guy who could have won lots of games in the lower league levels (and a few in the upper leagues) if properly developed. He's as good as anything in free agency, and while better pitchers exist the odds of landing one through waivers are very low due to the number of claims, and the odds of getting one through the draft are akin to playing the lottery. Normally I agree with almaric's assessments, but as Rock said, it is usually best to keep the number of players on your roster fairly high (46-48) and cut one at a time so that you have options.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Not worth cutting anyone at this stage of the season given you can't sign any replacements and have some roster space anyway

First line of my post, I wasn't advocating sweeping changes right now - precisely to allow thoughts from other GMs. I still don't rate Argueta but Ramirez would have proven useful if the owner has patience, but the opportunity to turn over a roster will come soon enough.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Neither of those guys were super stars, so its not a big lose sheish, but I definitely recommend cutting guys more as a gradual upgrading like Newtman suggested. When you are doing a major overhaul, its find to have more gaps for picking up waviers, but in general I wouldn't go below 45. Its highly unlikely you would ever need more than 5 spaces for waivers. 3 is probably sufficient for most days.
sheish

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the advice everyone. Essentially I think that having more right handers would help as I can retrain them in more positions. Also i think that cutting all the players was more to free space to get more players on waivers and free agency for next season. My lineup is nearly all under 30 but in my opinion getting replacement younger pitchers seems a lot harder
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you plan to retrain them to 2B, 3B, SS, or Catcher, then you want them to field righty. But you almost always want them to hit lefty (or switch) if possible. Those guys will generally produce better then right handed hitters because you face more right handed pitchers. I'd still grab the best available, but if its a close call I'd always go with the lefty.

Previous Page | Show All |