Help

Forum >> Help >> Deployment Q   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I have an interesting problem to solve for next season. Think I know what I am going to do, but curious what others might do in the same situation.

Dinos are committed to giving Bresciani full playing time next season. Though he had a miserable .164/.217/270 as a platoon OF in his rookie campaign, we see him as the future of the franchise.

The question is where to play him. He has knowledge of OF and 2B. The hole I want to fill, coincidentally enough, is 2B. I could just plug Bresciani in at 2B and leave everyone else where they are.

Except that Bresciani is a far better OF than 2B. I could get him into the OF. But it would require the following shifts:

Baez - my best defensive player (and contender for gold glove at SS this season) would move from SS to 2B.
Zarate would go from 3B to SS.
Butler would move from 1B to 3B.
Larsen would move from LF to 1B.

Compared to just sticking Bresciani at 2B, the advantages are:
- a much better LF (Larsen has a noodle arm and is losing range)
- a MUCH better 2B

The cons are:
- a weaker SS
- a slightly weaker 3B
- a completely untrained 1B

Again, curious what others might do.
AD24

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As a competitor in your division, I hope you weaken your team enough so I can win easily. ;)

If I was in your situation I would go for the second option and see how it ends up, you can always change your mind later on if it doesn't work out.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I did essentially the second one this season, though my completely untrained position was 3B instead of 1B. It made things rough this season, but I managed to barely survive, and it was a move designed to make me better in the future. Thus I would stand by the second one, with my biggest reservation being the 3B moving to SS, but it would need to be done. Good luck with whichever path you choose.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Between the two options given, I would stick him at 2B.

I consider SS a more important defensive position. You're taking a pretty big hit at SS if you move Zarate there. Plus you are taking a hit at 3B. Larsen may not be optimal in LF, but he is likely to be worse at 1B.

I don't think positives outweigh the negatives.

Bresciani is not going to field as well as you would like, but at least he knows the position, so that will help mitigate errors a bit. Plus his range is actually very good, so he won't be a liability in that respect.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Obviously there are pros and cons both ways but we aren't getting paid the big bucks to be wishy washy.

So I say put bresciani in at 2b this season. Comparing him to your 2b from last season he's a little worse fielding and range.

I am making the assumption you were basically content with your defense last season.

Having the untrained 1b will definitely hurt defensively with errors and likely with a reduction of double plays.

If you are unhappy with the results you have a plan b. And bresciani can be moved to lf in a season or two anyway.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Cheers. Some thoughtful posts (aside from AD24 suggesting I weaken my team ;) ).

Tiger504 makes a good point that 2B this season wasn't exactly a dynamo with 11 fielding. But I felt he over-achieved. It wasn't a big shock b/c I'd say he has a history of over-achieving. I would not expect Bresciani to put up a .960 FA. Probably closer to .930.

I agree with Newtman that the biggest fear of option 2 might be Zarate at short. 15-15-15 should be able to cut it there, but he has really struggled at the position (.925ish, tho small sample). He feels like a guy that under-performs his defensive skills. Not really what you want at SS. Still, I suspect Baez-Zarate up the middle would be stronger than Baez-Bresciani.

I think my choice is leaking through. We're going to try the second option. Better up the middle. Better in the OF. Weaker on the corners. Tho the comment about a back-up plan is spot on. If it don't work, there is a clear 2nd option.

A big part of the decision is Larsen. It looks like his bat is going to out-live his usefulness as an OF (I think I have more stringent OF requirements than most). I've never really liked him in the OF (despite a couple gold gloves). His build is such that he could be a decent 1B until his bat evaporates.

Cheers again. Appreciate the discussion.

Previous Page | Show All |