Help

Forum >> Help >> Is the AI's promotion recommendation typically right?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He looks like most guys that get the nod.

I'd bring him up to play during the cup season at least, and play him. But if you are really just going to sit him on the bench he is better off in AAA.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Piggy-backing off this since it's the same type of question.

The system is baffling me with it's recommendation to have J.P. Schafer in AAA. Granted, I've only been playing since earlier this summer, but I've never seen the system recommend a 21-year-old pitcher with 58SI to be in AAA. That seems WAY out of line.

Thoughts?
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, all my comparables to him are down in Rookie ball. Weird.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
If that's his recommended level I'd put him up there. Pitchers can progress much quicker than hitters, particularly once they're in the majors. Schafer probably isn't due up for a couple of seasons I'd imagine, so after a couple of full seasons in AAA he could be in the 75-90 SI range, which would be good enough to start pitching in The Show. Looks fine to me.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The minors levels are a little weird from one to the next seeming logical all the time, but they still are the level the play will receive optimal growth at, so ALWAYS follow the advice to promote within minors.

Minors to majors only gives you optimal growth if the player actually plays in the majors, naturally. Can't earn that EXP without playing.

But I find the sub-25 recommendations for the majors are a lot more sensible and people who are ready to get those major league gains.

Being recommended for the Majors doesn't mean the player is ready to PLAY at that level. It means they have exhausted all the training they can get from AAA, so the only way to continue to grow them is to get them experience at the major league level.

Again, this only applies to players under 25. Once they hit 25, they get an auto-recommendation regardless of whether or not they've actually maxed out minors training... so that one, you really have to have watched closely and make a judgment call.

When a player is 20-30 SI away from maxing out, it's very feasible for them to gain the rest in the majors, so don't worry about numbers in the high 70s/low 80s getting recommended when they're like 12 or 13 POT.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I tend to ignore promotion recommendations once a pitcher has reached a certain SI point.

11 Potential - no starters @ 11, 60 relief comment
12 Potential - 63 SI starters, 68 relief
13 Potential - 71 SI starters, 76 relief
14 Potential - 79 SI , 84 SI

For hitters, the spread is considerably shorter

11 Potential - tend to not use
12 Potential - 78 SI
13 Potential - 86 SI
14 Potential - 94 SI

My tendencies for development have been for my pitchers that get full innings for training land in the 10-15 SI gains most regularly, with some managing to gain 19+ at times. For hitters, my path for starters getting playing time is rarely above 12 SI gained, usually around 7-9.

It's mostly up to the person in charge as long as they dont claim to have learned all they can. At that point it feels like it's a decision on where you think he can get playing time. If he can get 150-200 AB's, he'll gain as much as he did in the minors. 25 appearances in the pen? easily double the SI he would've gained in the minors.

~~~

For JP shafer, i think he's only 5 SI away from being capable of capping his 12 potential once called up if you can fit him into the rotation. If he starts at the beginning of next season lets say in the majors at 65 SI, there are three paths he could go:

Full time Starter:
65 - 80 - 93 - (99-103).

Primary Bullpen Guy (Muir, your starter, went this route in 2026):
65 - 85 - 98 - (99-103).

Secondary Bullpen Guy:
65 - 77 - 87 - 95 - (95-103). In most cases a player develops still in year 4.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, this game is always throwing new things at me. Many of your words of advice are going to be handy. The system is now telling me today that J.P. Schafer indeed needs to be in the Majors to make the most of training. My mind is melting. Going to have to re-read your responses and decided whether or not it's worth throwing him in my bullpen to gain more XP.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My guy, Corky Romano was in a similar situation last year. For me, this is a great time of year to bring a guy like that up, because you can play him in cup games and not worry about I'm hurting you in league games.

It is possible that he is just very underrated. Maybe he is really better than his ratings say. Given his current performance, I would have no problem leaving him in AAA this year. But I would probably pull him up for the first couple weeks to take advantage of Cup games. Depends on how serious your approach is to the Cup. I mostly just use it for training young guys.

Updated Friday, December 16 2016 @ 9:34:47 am PST
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
"Maybe he is really better than his ratings say."

Which ties into the other thread I necroed about an arm rating going up and scouting scores... You're probably right!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, Rock. I keep learning new things about this game.

As for the cup, I've been running .500 in my Cup games. For now it's not really that important for me. I'll run with your suggestion and throw him into some Cup games.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I had experience with 12 potential pitchers being recommended for the majors at 68 SI when I was first starting and had a lot of 12 potential pitchers. I tended to put them in the bullpen in middle relief and they did max out from what I remember, I'll try to find a couple since I have a few minutes now...

"Goose" Kent

"Mighty" Max Gray

Russell "The Vulture" Hutchinson

"Preacher" Pope

Hutchinson was 70 when recommended, and Pope was 69 (with 13 potential), the others were either 67 or 68 SI when called up. All succeeded in hitting their caps. The recommendation is almost always right before 25.

Updated Friday, December 16 2016 @ 11:10:57 am PST

Previous Page | Show All |