Help

Forum >> Help >> Good Problem (Sort of)   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello all, I would appreciate your help with some player issues.

First let me start with this: my offense is good... like really really good. This is both at the majors level and the minors. It is so good that I am really struggling to get Norman and Gutierrez playing time to fully develop them, even though I know they can both be pretty good players, and currently I cannot play Luis Castellonas. I think I'm about to release Norman because soon I will have no room on the major league level.

So, I have a really, really good offense. However, the issue I am having right now is my pitching. I am really hurting right now. Last season (and this season too for that matter), I relied on old guys to get me through the season. For the most part, the plan succeeded. Unfortunately, their skills dropped to the point where they will be unusable at IV. Now I am stuck with only 10 pitchers, and its basically 8 because my two long relievers are trash. I need another pitcher or two to round out my majors now. I am putting in claims for any competent pitcher I can find on waivers, but I am not getting anyone. Should I call up one of my AAA arms to eat a few innings while I wait? Should I pick up a terrible free agent out of desperation? In that case, who would I drop to draft next week?

I had to part with a solid looking 12 POT pitcher earlier today to make room for a potential waiver claim. Any suggestions for my roster are welcome, not just for this specific problem. Please tell me if I am over-rating any prospects or whatever. Thanks!

Updated Sunday, October 9 2016 @ 9:54:03 am PDT
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
After a brief look at your roster...I'm not sure what to say. You have a bunch of pitchers who look great on paper but simply have not performed. I would not panic too early in the season, someone like Virgil will definitely make it back towards his career norms. Stroud has an awful build but pitches well, so at this point I'd keep him. Sanchez is amazingly mediocre, which blows my mind a bit. Given your issues with finding SPs, Fossas would probably be my only cut. However, if you don't have anyone to fill his shoes yet, then you'll have to keep him around for now.

Also as an aside, don't forget that the difference in batting ability can vary greatly between LLs. I know from V.14 to IV.7 is a huge jump on both sides of the ball, and both times I have promoted I have been crushed quite badly. So don't get too discouraged :)

For RPs, I have had a guy like Spahn before, decent build but not really great at anything; he didn't pan out so I dropped him. Villalobos is an instant cut for me, you can easily find a project that could still develop on waivers or a FA, I was looking this morning and there are a few decent 12 POTs out there. I'd give Reynoso a shot, he was okay last year and you don't have that many other options. Brett is a keeper, and Clark looks fine too.

Your pitching woes may also have something to do with having a tiny ballpark. You have a lot of flyball pitchers, meaning a lot of those balls are going to leave the park. Virgil in particular has been destroyed this year. Ballpark sizing is tricky...I personally messed mine up last year and made it too big for my OFs, so my batters looked great and my pitchers terrible at home. Perhaps something to consider for next year.

Updated Sunday, October 9 2016 @ 10:09:44 am PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I personally wouldn't call up any pitcher to the majors who isn't recommended for it, as it will stunt their development and hurt you in the long term.

You need to cut some of your majors hitters, simple as. Thompson looks surplus to requirements, especially given all the C depth you have, and Hess is taking a spot you could use elsewhere. Either through waiver claims or free agency you'll need to pick up another of those old bums to tide you over, and hope for something better to come along. There really isn't another solution. :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You have something against ex-Highlanders? ;)
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Not at all - I mean, most players have been on the Highlanders at some point. ;)

I have Norton and Sheppard, for instance, and probably a few more came in and then moved on!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL. Probably. But Thompson and Hess were actually on my team long enough for me to remember them.
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I appreciate it guys. Regarding the ballpark, I made it purposely small because my outfielders range is awful. This, plus my team's power on offense, was why I decided to make my ballpark very small. Coming into to D IV, I kind of figured that my pitchers wouldn't be very strong. I know it's early and some of the guys will recover. I will look around for an improvement for Villolobos. I've been intending to drop him for 4 seasons, but never could because I am so thin.

And by the way, I'm glad I'm not the only one who considers Sanchez beyond disappointing :/

Previous Page | Show All |