Help

Forum >> Help >> Full roster, need help with a cut or two   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So this is the start of my second full season. Last season I got pretty good at waivers and cutting players. This season, however, the cut decisions have become more difficult. I think part of it is I've gotten pretty attached to some players, and the other part is the first season saw major improvements but now I'm nearing the top of the bell curve. It's time for me to learn a more discerning eye and make tougher decisions.

That said, here are my minors.

I'm thinking Pedro Jimenez in AA and Alexander Gross in A given a few factors. Maybe a case could be made that Aponte in A won't ever pan out offensively? Other than that, I'm sort of at a loss.

I appreciate any input.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
McNally is a pretty obvious drop for me. He's a 1B/DH type only and those guys are easy to find, but more importantly he's developed so slowly I don't think he'll ever reach his potential.

And I'd be looking to replace James, Yoon (no bat) and Escobar (not enough range for SS). And I'd move Zhang to C.

Updated Friday, October 14 2016 @ 7:23:30 am PDT
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree that you could cut Gross. He's behind in his training and probably won't pan out. You could probably find other guys in FA.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
amalric7: Yeah, McNally was a flier I took about a week ago. I did notice he was gaining only 4 or so points a year. I guess I was being optimistic he might be able to pick up the SI pace on my team. Strong consideration there. Thanks!

Pig_cola: Thanks for you input! Hope League 2 is treating you well.

Updated Friday, October 14 2016 @ 7:26:04 am PDT
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
You're welcome and I'm not doing so well in League 2 this year than in previous years, but it's ok. We'll come back better. :)
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
"And I'd be looking to replace James, Yoon (no bat) and Escobar (not enough range for SS). And I'd move Zhang to C."

1B has been a rotating chorus of players since I took the team last season. I agree James is short-term. Yoon is bench player for sure, but I'm keeping him around on the bench for the defense. Escobar definitely has range problems, but SS has also been a rotating batch of players for me. I'm surviving with what I have and keeping an eye out for something better.

The only area where I have trouble agreeing with you is the Zhang to C suggestion. He's a recent pick-up, but he's 25 and aside from 98 games in the minors he doesn't have a lot of experience at C. He doesn't have small c even. Yeah, that arm sure beats Bruce Owen's, but Owen has been doing really well for me. I don't want to move Owen to another position, Zhang to C, and then have two players with no rating for their positions.

Updated Friday, October 14 2016 @ 7:36:58 am PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually, moving Zhang to C and Owen to 1B would improve two positions, not make them worse. Ratings for position don't really matter at C, or 1B, and probably LF if you have a player with good range. They help I'm sure, but matching skills to position is sometimes the better option.

For instance, I've been playing Waters, a 3B/OF, at C for the past season plus. He had 35 minor league games at C before that, nothing more, and he's done really well. The point here is that pretty much anyone can play C, and the most important attribute for a C is a really good Arm for throwing out base runners - Zhang fits that. Waters hasn't had as much CS success this season in a small sample but he's had a ton of injuries (4 or 5), and if he gets back up to 34% I'll be very happy.

Owen doesn't belong at C with his 11 Arm, but he would fit really well at 1B (or DH) because he's a solid fielder with a good bat.

Defensively in the OF Range is the tool you want, and good arms in CF and RF. Its been said elsewhere on here (by admin Steve, don't have a link) that outfield range is aggregated and fielding percentages worked from that, and you're quite low in that regard. Which is why McDaniel is a better 1B than OF. Something else to consider.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hrmmm. Food for thought! I guess I'm hesitant to mess with success given how well things have been going for my team so far. But if switching things up as you suggest would improve the team further... I'm willing to at least give it a shot!

Previous Page | Show All |