Help

Forum >> Help >> Minors Cuts   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Huaraches25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Any suggestions on who to cut from minors?
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I only looked at your 12 Pot players in the Minors, and a few of your 13 Pot.

Not sure what the role of Cesar Tamayo is, but if you don't need him I'd cut him.

Russ Straub is lacking and his control will be lacking so I'd rank him as your worst 12 pot prospect. Again, I didn't look at your major league team but if you don't need him next year (he won't be at full strength anyway), I'd cut him.

The last guy that stands out to me is Jon Peters. Above average overall report is already bad. At best, he will be a decent right fielder, defensively. He COULD be a good power threat, but his "good hitting" will mean he won't hit for a good avg. It's up to you with this one, but I'd cut him as he won't necessarily be anything special.

Benjamin Jimenez is a clear cut to me. If he fielded with his right hand, I'd say you could use him as a 3B or a backup 3B but as a lefty he won't help you. His outstanding fielding is worthless unless he is a 1B, but his mix of high fielding and high arm makes him a right fielder (which makes his fielding irrelevant mostly). I'd probably start with him in terms of cuts.

Eric Maher is the last guy that caught my eye. Again, "above average" overall report already isn't good. So what do we have here? Outstanding fielding but essentially above avg arm and range. He'd be a weak SS, 3B, or 2B. If he's your best option at either of these defensively, than fine. But to me he really isn't anything relevant. Lastly, his offensive skills won't really be anything extraordinary either and therefore won't "force" you to play him somewhere. I'd cut him.

Big picture: the way to evaluate your minor league guys is to determine what their overall skill set will be, if realized. Try to picture what their skills will be if you train them the whole way, AND give them full playing time once promoted. For example, let's look at Eric Maher. At full potential, I'd give him 13-15 hitting, (bat control and plate discipline is hard to predict), 12-14 power, 8 speed, and 17-19 fielding. That gives him around an 85 skill set. Figure the rest is split amongst bat control and plate disciple (11 each) and we have:

Hitting 13, Bat Control 15, Plate Discipline 14, Power 13, Speed 8, Fielding 19, Range & Arm 13.

That could help you in league VI but going forward it isn't that useful. His defensive mix isn't pretty, and he won't hit enough to force you to play him somewhere. Hopefully this kind of analysis helps you moving forward.

You don't need to cut all the players I listed, but start with one or two. As you fill their roster spots with waivers or draft picks, cut the others. No need to cut 5 players at once though.

Updated Sunday, October 30 2016 @ 11:52:56 am PDT
calebapple

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How bout me? Who do you think I should cut?
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Same thought process as my previous thoughts. Ask yourself what a prospect will be once he reaches his full potential.

What is Barry Brown? 11 SI Potential. That's already horrible, but can be made up if he is good in certain stats. Well with him his skills are "wasted" on speed. He has about ~20 skill points left to go - so where will they be? Mostly in hitting and power. So what will his final skills look like?

Hit: 16, Bat Control: 8, Plate Discipline: 5, Power: 13, Speed 16, Defense: pretty much where it is currently

So where will you play him? Certainly not in the infield (no fielding) so his only position is RF (decent arm). Okay. He steals bases now which is a good sign and can possibly hit the ball well at his full potential. Will he get on base? WALKS - he has horrible plate discipline. He will rely on his hitting skills to get on base, but his PD really sets him back. He could be a successful player in League VI but after that he loses a lot of value. If you have other outfield/DH prospects or players - I'd cut him.

You have a lot of prospects with high speed. Not necessarily bad, but you don't really want too many of those. In addition, high speed doesn't always translate to stolen bases - this is where minor league stats can actually matter.

Jamie Gatson has no scouting on his hitting (meaning he won't be very good). He has decent speed but almost no steals in 750 AB so far so what is his value? Cut.

Wilson Marinelli could be a Catcher or 3B. He's almost maxed out though so you can pretty much tell where his skills lie. What will he give you offensively? Almost nothing. If you have no other options at either positions than you can keep him, otherwise dump him.

Ernest O`Toole is the same story. Skill set is almost maxed out - we can see what he is. Right fielder with good speed, but no offense. You can use him as a pinch runner or defensive sub. If that's his role on your team than fine, otherwise get rid of him.

Dontrell Hodson is another similar story, but can play any OF position. Check out his speed though. Very high but almost no steals. He isn't going to give you much offense either. Another cut option.

Rodolfo CarreĆ³n is a more interesting prospect. He's another OF that can play all 3 positions. He has lower speed but actually steals. I'd keep him over the previous two options, but he still isn't a very good prospect. His offense will be pretty bad.

Don't cut all these players at once. Cut them as you find their replacements. And most importantly go through the thought process of projecting what kind of player they will be. Hopefully this helps.

Previous Page | Show All |