Help

Forum >> Help >> Oh my gosh so much info!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
merin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi there,

So I'm a new player to the game here and, well, I've got a headache! :). Not being a huge hardcore baseball fan myself, I think that this is partially the reason, however, I think I'll pick up the terminology in time.

My question, though, is how in the holey heck do I get to grips with setting lineups? There's so many numbers and so many players that it's really hard to keep straight what stat does what, it's importance, etcetera. I've just left default line ups for now, and released my old dudes for some young blood, and that seems to be doing ok thus far, however, I understand that the computer may not have made the best choices.

Anyway, I want to point out that I'm a visually impaired player and that may have something to do with it -- rather large tables to contend with. Is there a way to filter players or update my line ups with the choices I've made (say I want to assign my first two or three batters and their posissions and update it?) How on earth do I get going with this? ANy tips would be much opretiated because, truthfully, I am feeling overwhelmed with the stats, amount of players, what stat is important for what posission, etcetera. I consult the manual, but after working on a line up for like half hour and figuring out I messed something up (I think I had two CFs), and having to click back and do it again, I'm feeling rather unmotivated, which is a shame because this seems like loads of fun provided I can get over my hurdle.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You can click the "Reset to Defaults" button to have the computer set the lineups. Then I would suggest just making one change at a time and hitting the "Update" button after each change. That's what I do, because its a pain in the neck to have to start over from scratch if you make a mistake somewhere.

I'd go through and figure out where you want to play different players first. Probably you mostly want to play them at the positions they already know, on your major league roster you probably only have a few guys who know any given position. Figure out which one you want to play and assign new players to each position. Then once you have positions set, order the lineup. There are plenty of articles and resources on setting your lineups, but to make things easy to start out, just put your best hitters at the top. There are two stats to focus on. OBP means "On Base Percentage", so that lets you know which guys are good at getting on base. SLG means slugging, and that tells you which guys hit for lots of extra bases (and home runs). I'd put your highest OBP players in the first three slots, and then fill out the rest in order of highest SLG.

Remember to save your changes after each small update to avoid lineup setting annoyances.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Those are great tips from Rock. Beyond that, don't worry about everything! There's no reason to rush into it all. Take it slow. Pick one thing at a time and go from there. Once you figure something out, like your lineup against lefties, pat yourself on the back and call it a day. Then the next time you come back, don't actually do anything to your team. Read the manual again. Then next time figure out the five guys you want to use as starting pitchers. Congratulate yourself and leave again. Next time you come back, read a couple of threads in the forum that sound like they might address questions you have.

The game is supposed to be fun. Don't stress out about what you don't know or understand. You'll get there. Wade in slowly. Don't jump in the deep end. Have fun!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Newbie Guide & Checklist

Steve
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would say that an auto-lineup would be my strategy right now, and then making 1 or 2 switches per lineup update is the best way to go.

Perhaps the biggest initial hurdle is determining what your team is capable of now or in the near future, and whether that is close enough to what makes a team good in this game to continue or if you need to press the reset button so to speak. IMO your batting order is pretty much going to get gut before it turns the corner, while your pitching is in decent shape.

Previous Page | Show All |