Help

Forum >> Help >> Roster advice — short-term and long-term.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 So I just got started up with a team about a week ago after having been pointed this way by GrizzlyDan a few months back. I inherited a team that wound up sending six players to the All-Star Game this season, but a lot of these guys are starting to show their age.

I have some ideas for how I want to proceed over the next few seasons and even long-term, but a bit of feedback is never a bad thing. Note that these ideas only involve players currently in the organization; I’m planning based on the thought that I won’t find anyone better (though I will, of course, be on the lookout).

First things first, my organization: http://brokenbat.org/roster/211/1

Also, keep in mind that I’m still on release restriction, so there are a handful of players I can’t get rid of right now even if I want to (though most of the guys the game is forcing me to keep are guys I had no intention of releasing anyway).

I’m not that worried about pitchers right now, this is entirely about position players.

——————————

CATCHER

Russell Jonsson. Pure and simple. He’s got plenty of arm for it, I’m already playing him back there as a platoon with Victor Harrington, and I’ve got better looking options in terms of range for the outfield both short-term and long-term. Current All-Star (but also 33-year-old) Harrington is showing signs of wear and tear, and I’m planning on mostly DH-ing him next season.

FIRST BASE

For the next season or two, probably Frank Alexander, though I might dedicate some time in Spring Training to get Eduardo Rosario tuned up for the job given his rather suspect arm.
 Long-term, Esteban Silva looks to be the man, though Wesley Irving will likely wind up platooning with him.

SECOND BASE

This is a problem position for me. Jackson will be there next year, backed up by iffy defenders Hal Norton and Rick Webb, but I’m a bit iffy on long-term options.
 Currently, Julián Lemus looks like my best bet. Depending on how he pans out, though, I may wind up converting Silva (and his practically nonexistent arm) to second base and just sticking with Irving at first.

THIRD BASE

Eduardo Rosario is the odds-on favorite for the position for the next few years, seeing as he’s got three Gold Gloves and seven straight All-Star appearances there. His arm makes me want to consider converting him to a first baseman, though. That would leave me with either the defensively lackluster Norton at the hot corner, or a player I’d rather convert to a long-term shortstop in Bo Zhong. Speaking of whom…

SHORTSTOP

With Vince Andersen probably ready to start to going downhill, I’ve got Zhong training to take over the position. He’s due to come up by the end of this season, in which case he’ll be platooning with Andersen over the next couple of seasons before taking over the position full-time.

LEFT FIELD

René Santos is predicted to come up by the end of the season, and is already training to be an outfielder instead of a catcher. If he doesn’t wind up taking over centerfield with Gene Osbourne moving to left — a distinct possibility — he’ll be taking over left field himself..
 Luis Carrillo is the probable long-term option right now, with Santos taking over center field (if he hasn’t already) once Osbourne retires.

CENTER FIELD

All good things must come to an end, and that includes the careers of nine-time All-Stars like Osbourne. He’s probably got one more good season left in him, but he’s definitely lost a step over the past few years. It’s a toss-up between Osbourne and Santos in left field next season.
 Long-term, Santos is the most likely suspect. There’s a fair chance that Carrillo may take center and Santos left, though.

RIGHT FIELD

Randall Allison. He has range, he has arm, all he needs is some time to get used to the position. He’ll get that over Spring Training, and will probably get started on the conversion before the season is out.
 Longer term, though, right field is going to be an issue, even more so than second base. I don’t have any current long term solutions here, so I’m hoping for Allison to last at least five seasons.

DESIGNATED HITTER

Harrington and Webb are the obvious options for next season, but I’ve actually been taking to using Gilbert De Santis in the role. He’s been backing up the outfield since I took over (and will continue to do so), but with better ranging players available out there, I like having his speed on the base paths.
 Chuck Swisher might eventually grow into this role while providing a backup for Jonsson behind the plate.

——————————

And that’s what I have in mind. Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms? …Random snark? Gimme wha’cha got! I wanna hear it. ^.^
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
C - Short term it's still Harrington until you decide to cut him. When you do, you should just find a hitting prospect with mid level range and fielding (10-12 fielding projection, and 10ish range), and use them at Catcher instead. The guy you have targeted is actually probably more useful in the 2B SS or 3B role. Frank Alexander is cutable, and Santo's doesn't particularly look to be an amazing hitter so you'll want to take advantage of his defense in the middle infield as well. I don't really see a guy that is set to be a long term catcher on your roster as it stands now.

1B - the guy you listed wont progress anymore and is mediocre. I'd just cut my losses with his playing time and consider FA's or waivers under 3 claims as targets. Allison's build is just not ideal despite his 13 potential, also thinking that you might want to consider cutting him at some point. Else you could play him short term. Irving is just ok. Archer i'd use the minors to transition into an OF, and then keep him position eligible in both. It'll help you move him around as needed depending on injuries and matchups. He's nice.

2B - Jackson's a good short term 2B, and Webb's a good short term DH. You can probably do better than Nakagawa with a low claim waivers type, so keep your eyes open there. Swisher to me is a cut because he has poor point distribution.

3B - Rosario short term. He was probably more ideally a 2B, but it's too late now. To me despite his fielding/arm Bo zhong just isn't worth it. Need at least something in the power or hitting department, or need to be 15/15/15 or better so that it makes sense to bring him in as a defensive replacement. since he's not getting to 15/15/15 defensively, not going to be worth it. Chapin is a catcher more than a 3B prospect, but is also below my standards of holding onto.

SS - Veteran is going to be ok for the rest of the year. Norton shouldn't be on the team. Need to find someone to make work here, i think it's probably Jonsson.

OF - Osborne is the short term vet. Yamada's a cut. Bernard's a Cut. Hinojisa's a cut. Virgil's a Cut. Hide De Santis in the corner OF for now and give full PT to him. Lemus is a good long term option. Carrilo's hitting has to make it to an 11 or 12 to be relevant, and at a 1 thats a huge risk to take.

jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I would move Harrington off of Catcher, now. Why? Well, he's a lefty and there is a penalty for that. His < 30% SB rate is evident of that. But his bat certainly belongs in your lineup. DH him.

Osbourne is a good outfielder and a solid bat. Keep him in CF, but he profiles better as a LF in a good fielding outfield (just giving you an idea). Both players are old(er) though, so I'd be looking to replace them as early as next year, but it isn't the end of the world if you keep them for another year - you might see a considerate decline in production though.

Rosario is your most interesting player. Obviously, given his age and hitting ability, he belongs in your lineup. The problem is he is a terrible defending 3B, skill-wise. In the past he seems to have put up pretty good fielding numbers despite his limitations. Switching him to a different position would probably take him two years to learn (and bad fielding). I'd say if you can afford to move him (meaning if you get another 3B) than do so, but long term he probably ends up as your DH.

Webb should be your full time LF due to range. His hitting should keep him in your lineup for 3-4 years.

Jackson is someone I'd cut. Now. 31 years old, nothing sexy about his fielding and he is a low hitter with good other stats. The problem is he's been bad this year. Really bad. .422 SLG in league VI from someone like him is just not good. Cut and play someone younger.

Anderson - cut. All he has is relatively high power, but he's never put a solid season together and is 31. Move on from him.

De Santis is another interesting one. In your position, you should be favoring young prospects. The problem with him is he really won't be all that special in the end. But as of now, he's put up good stats, can play RF since LF is already filled, and has some speed. Long term I'd probably play him #9, sort of as a second leadoff guy. His extremely low plate discipline takes him out of the leadoff role, unless he always hits like he is this season.

Jonsson - I have mixed feelings. First off, I'd convert him to a 3B or SS. The problem is it takes years to get the uppercase position. I'd send him to the minors (unless you can handle a ton of errors but I'd move him to a diff position immediately. But aside from good hitting, he won't provide much else offensively - but will be a good defensive presence. Long term he'd be best as a backup player but obviously start him as he is your best option now.

Virgil - cut or keep as a backup player. Not worth anything due to low potential and bad scouting report. I'd move on as soon as possible.

Allison - not a fan of him. At all. His high speed does not translate to any SB. His hitting overall is atrocious. He doesn't know the OF (where he belongs). Your call here but at best I see him as a backup OF that can pinch run for people.

Zhong - another player I'm iffy about. He could be fine defensively but he won't give you anything on offense. Backup player at best.

Yamada - move on. Cant hit the ball (I know he's put up good stats this year but overall really bad). Age is not on his side. Terrible power and doesn't have enough speed to warrent anything special.

Hinojoso - Another cut option. Really bad hitter who should have high power, but that hasn't translated. He's never had slg over .400 which, if someone has that kind of power should easily have. Cut and replace.

MINORS

Nakagawa - future LF. Be weary of his speed though as he hasn't been able to steal in the minors. Expect the same in the majors. Not a sexy prospect.

Lemus - your top prospect. I'd play him at 2B and he should be your #3 hitter once he makes it (not his first year though, I'm talking about full potential).

That's all your noteworthy players in my mind. Obviously, a lot of cut options but don't get rid of everyone at once (not that you can either). Grab people off waivers to replace the ones I mentioned. One of the biggest things I learned in the lower leagues was "wasting time" on bad prospects. Players who won't be on your team 3-4 years from now but seem to be your best young option now. It's a waste. Obviously, learn for yourself - that's what this games all about. Patience and growth. Build your minors through the draft and waivers. Cut your above avg scouting reports and replace with good & very good (as you get them). You'll realize in two to three seasons that you've turned over a ton of players and will find yourself with a bright future, even if it may be 4 years from that point.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Thanks for the advice. There are definitely a few ideas in there I hadn’t considered. I’ve already started implementing sort of a hybrid of those ideas and my own, and since I’m in blatant rebuilding mode, I’m not to fussed about having a spectacularly awful season while players adjust to new positions (though I’m already rather impressed at how few defensive miscues they’ve had so far). There are a few guys you suggested to cut whom I already would have… if I could. Release restrictions and all that. We’ll see what happens when I can pare some of those guys down.
 Also, Haselrig and I were talking on IRC this morning and he gave me a few suggestions on my pitching staff. …Most of which I was already following. Again, though, we’ll see what happens once I don’t have release restrictions and I get to run the team for a full season where I’m not trying to clean up from a few seasons of bot management and players who logged in once and were never seen again.

Previous Page | Show All |