Help

Forum >> Help >> Are position conversions level dependent?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Translation: If I intend for someone like Martin to convert to 2B (currently in rooky as OF), will he convert any faster or slower than someone like Kristiansen (currently in AAA as OF)? Or is it more to do with some variable we can't see? I know Martin's got all kinds of time to make the conversion, and if you discount the lack of a contact report he's got a build I'd like to see for 2B (unless his scouting report's lying to me), but if current ML level has something to do with it it may be in my best interest next season to start making plans for a bridge player between him and Kramer, who I give maybe another year to before the regression stick whacks him a good one?

Note: Martin's my 2B project, Kristiansen's one of my 3B projects, but for comparison's sake that shouldn't matter a whole lot, I hope. If it does, I have plenty of others to choose from... so, so many players out of position.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't believe so. Players gain position experience in one of two ways:

1) Depending on the position they are set to learn(Play) in the minors.

2) Starting innings in the field in the majors.

From what others have reported, it seems like #2 is slightly more effective. So players will learn the position a bit faster in the majors (but at a cost to your overall defense).

In the minors, you lose nothing for playing a guy out of position, but they seem to gain experience slightly slower than the majors. I don't believe it matter what level they are at, or even what position they actually play. Steve has said position experience gains are mostly dependent on where you set them to Play (in your Minors tab).

I have noticed that guys have a tendency to play some innings in their primary position even when set to Play in a different position. I have also noticed fewer guys on my squad losing their primary while they train a secondary. May be coincidence, or may be a little assistance from Steve. I'm also no long trying to train guys up in three positions, so that might be the difference ;)
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
To add to what Rock said...

Yeah, guys definitely will occasionally play games at positions other than what you set in the Minors... usually ones they already are considered to have "known".

Also don't forget about Spring Training. It's a great time to get guys MLB quality positional experience without hurting your team.

I've never observed a difference in position training speed based on minors level. You need to keep in mind that not all players begin at 0. That is to say, one guy who just reads "2B" might have a little bit of OF experience already but not enough to generate a "of". In that case, he will quickly obtain "of" since he doesn't have far to go (maybe half a season). On the flip side, someone with next to no experience at OF will take longer to get even "of" to show up (like nearly two seasons' worth minors training).
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Not level dependent -- a game at catcher in AAA is the same as a game at catcher in A or the big leagues.

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm confused. I didn't think anything mattered in the minor leagues other than where a player is designated to train. For example, if we set them for catcher in the minors, 100% of their positional training is for catcher that week and doesn't depend on actually playing anywhere, much less catcher. I thought he would get the same training for catcher if he played 20 games in the outfield or no games anywhere or 20 games at catcher. @!#?@!

Updated Tuesday, November 22 2016 @ 3:39:12 am PST
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Also, is it as long as they get into the game at all, or is it on a per-inning basis?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's new to me as well. Although I suspected it might be the case, due to the AI doing a better job of getting guys inning to preserve already known positions. Also surprised that Major training is equivalent based on reports from other folks. All good info to have.

I believe that hitting and pitching development are not dependent on playing time in the minors? Just position experience? Maybe be the difference between training and experience popping up here.

EDIT: I believe it is per inning. That is why Steve provides the DIS (defensive innings started) stat in the most recent stats. PA (plate appearances), BF (batters faced), and DIS are used to determine experience gains.

Updated Tuesday, November 22 2016 @ 5:15:43 am PST
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you get more at the MLB level (which I don't know if that's true or not), it would likely be because there's game experience in play just like how regular growth tends to be better at the MLB level.

I assumed this only applied to the actual attributes, though and not learning a position.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Does this mean that even guys in the majors who had the "may have learned all he can at this level of competition" tag when in AAA, could still get sent back down there for playing time purposes and potentially still make gains? I mean, if they're not getting sufficient PT in the majors would this work?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I do that all the time to "resurrect guys". Sometimes they will even lose the tag with enough training in the minors.

But if you are referring to position experience, I don't believe that is limited by minors training the same way Rating experience is.

Previous Page | Show All |