Help

Forum >> Help >> Thoughts on who I should cut?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm getting writers block here... I need to make space for waivers. Would be nice to cut a couple guys.

These are the guys I am currently considering:

Edgar Toledo(24): Edgar has been a long term pet project. But he is only a POT 12. He is a left handed catcher, which is nice to have. Troy Moody(32) will be retiring in the next couple years, and Henry Barrett(27) is unlikely to reach his full potential. Roger Villa(25) is also an option for Catcher, but he is underdeveloped as well, and is really intended for 3B. Considering Toledo is my only Lefty Catcher, and the alternatives aren't great, I'm a bit reluctant to drop him...

Julian Izquierdo
(30): Julian disappoints perennially. However, his OBP is admittedly not that bad. And up until last season he fielding the position really well (fluke or correction)? Alex Spears(23) can handle 3B defensively, but I don't really trust him offensively yet. My latest acquisition Trevon Foreman(30) may work out, but he is untested in the higher leagues. He also has been played out of position for the last three seasons and lost is big 3B. He is a bit of a question mark, so I kind of want to keep Izquierdo around as insurance. Izquierdo is bad, but he has been better then the long parade of other 3B I've tried out over the years.

Carmelo Infante(26): Carmelo was a random waiver wire pick up last season. He is a good player, but possibly unnecessary with Cummings(26) looking to play 2B? But Cummings didn't do real well last season (still developing), and he still doesn't have a big 2B. Then there is Blake Foxx(23), who I have worked hard to convert into a CF, but actually plays 2B fairly competently. Infante is a good player and he is young. Hard to cut a guy like that, but maybe he is extraneous...?

Francisco Quintero(28): Francisco will continue to develop this season and may become very good. He could easily reach his POT 14 this year with sufficient playing time, but he is already old. He has the potential to become a devastating bat in my lineup, but defensively he doesn't have a good home. I have plenty of better 1B, including lefties. Hard to give up on this much potential.

Santiago Santa Cruz(29): Santa is basically in the same boat as Quintero. Except one year older, and he actually had a break out year last year. But he already has started to lose some speed... He proved his worth last season, but is it enough to keep a roster spot?

Terry Arnold(33): Arnold has been consistent for my team. Not a top offensive performer, but solid, and he gives me a lot of flexibility in the OF. If I move on from Arnold my new RF will not be anywhere near as good defensively. He lost a bit this year to age, otherwise I wouldn't even consider moving him.

Jalen Schmitt(31): I never liked Jalen's build, but he has almost always performed above my expectations. Ángelo Arias(26) was groomed to replace Schmitt, but he isn't as good defensively, and doesn't hit lefties as well as Schmitt. Brad Cummings(26) and Alex Spears(23) are both competent SS, but they are slotted for different positions. I still think Schmitt is valuable as a platoon SS in the worst case.

Chet Romano(23): Corky is only a POT 12 and his build looks surprisingly sparse for a major league recommendation. However I suspect he may turn out to be a really effective pitcher. I do have a glut of relief pitchers though, and Romano still needs a lot of development.

Josué Colón(27): Josué has been effective so far, but I am a bit wary of guys with high velocity and lower movement right now...

Leo Adams(24): Leo is only a POT 12, and he is a starter. POT 12 starters are a bad idea in general. Plus he has high Velocity and low Movement... Lot of red flags. But I don't have sufficient SP as it is (especially since I dumped Feng(28)). The same thing that made Feng hard to part with makes Adams hard to part with...

Albert Grenier(25): Albert is 25 and hasn't made it out of AA. But realistically his development doesn't look much worse than Rodger Villa(25). I think Grenier still has time to become a solid power hitting OF, but he is a project that is taking up space.

Joel Murray(24): A similar situation to Grenier. Murray is a year younger and likely to get the call up to AAA before he turns 25, but he is not a lefty and he hasn't shown the same production in the minors that Grenier has.

Valentín Alvarez(23): Valentín will likely be late to the show as well (recurring theme on my team). He has performed well, but "above average" is less power than I usually look for in a corner OF.

Yoshiaki Endō(24): Yoshiaki is in AAA and should make the majors before he is 26 (which is young for my team). He is a lefty with a nice build, but his GB/FB is HORRIBLE. His power will ultimately be wasted and his OPS will always be a bit disappointing. Still, given his build I am tempted to see if he can turn things around during his time in AAA...

Updated Sunday, December 4 2016 @ 6:31:08 pm PST
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Boy Rock I wouldn't even know where to begin suggesting to you. Overall it looks like you have quite a few (4-5) choices to make. Good luck on this one
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Let's start with the first section. I personally would cut Rodger Villa. I don't see his PD growing much and plus I like my catchers to have at least a 30% caught stealing percentage. Barrett and and Toledo look solid offensively,

Second section: Izquierdo could be kept as a backup 3B. I don't think Foreman could produce what he did in LL 5/6. He might much poorer than his skills indicate. I personally think Spears will develop well offensively. If my predictions are correct, he could end up with 18 PD or something around there.

Third section: I wouldn't trust Foxx at 2B with his below average fielding. Cummings has a horrible FP at 2B in his minor league career. Cummings will get better. I don't think Infante is an extra player, but he will become extra soon.

Fourth section: This is a tough decision. He has the potential to hit really good, but is underachieving. I would play him as much as I can and see how his stats are before the All-Star break. If they're bad, cut him. You could possibly play him at DH if you can't find anywhere else.

Fifth section: If you can't find anywhere to play Santa Cruz, just cut him. In 100 games, he did do well, so he could keep that performance up.

Sixth section: I say to keep Arnold. He's a solid offensive player with three Gold Gloves to his name.

Seventh section: Schmitt didn't play a lot last year, so you could cut him. Arias looks solid, but i think Cummings or Spears could play SS well. If you want, you could platoon them.

Eighth section: You could play Romano at RHS if you can't give him any playing time. You should play him in Spring Training as much as you can.

Ninth section: I say release Cólón because if gets more playing time, he'll probably give up quite a lot HR's. An example of this is Raul Valdivia. He gave 40 HR's last year and that's not acceptable.

Tenth section: Same thing. Just cut him.

Eleventh section: Grenier could pan out as a solid offensive player, but I'm pretty sure you have better offensive players in your minors. You could cut him if you want.

Twelfth section: I think Murray has the same build as Grenier and could possibly reach his potential. Again, if you want, you could cut him.

Thirteenth section: I think you could find better players in FA that have more power and can be great hitters. I would say to cut him.

Fourteenth section: If you don't want to change your ballpark to suit him, just cut him. Based on his minors stats, he isn't hitting very close to a very good hitting report.

Hope this helps you. :)

Previous Page | Show All |