Help

Forum >> Help >> Great draft picks that progress insanely slow...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have three players in my minors who are starting to concern me:

1. Armando Leon:

I picked up Leon as a minor league free agent. He's gained 21SI in 4 full seasons which isn't too bad... but he still has 40SI to go to hit the low end of his cap. He's also still only has 18 games in AA going into his Age 23 season. If I'm lucky, he'll get his AAA promotion right at Age 25... but could be 27 before his minors training is finished. Is there any chance he'll cap out?

2. Tomas Saavedra:

Tomas was one of my first draft picks when I took over my team. I was excited - a 19-year old 14POT with a profile that would work at 2nd / 3rd / SS / OF. However, in the intervening 4 years, he's gained 12SI. He's now 23 with two seasons of A ball behind him, and no AA recommendation yet. He looks like he's going to need 2.5 season each in AA and AAA, putting him at 28 before he's done training. Argh...

3. Augustin Archuleta

Another draft pick of mine from 2028. Another 19-year old 14-POT with elite defensive stats with a 'great hitter' report. However, in two full seasons he's gained 5SI. Also now still in Rookie ball at age 21. I have to assume 2 years in each of A, AA and AAA, which puts him as 'ready' at age 27... or 28.5 if he takes more like 2.5 years per level.

Is the outlook for these players as bleak as I see it? Saavedra and Archuleta were the two highest potential draft picks so far in 4 seasons of play. I feel a bit screwed that it looks like they aren't going to pan out.

I suspect for each of these players, I'll probably promote them early and have to try to 'regain' the 'lost' minor league experience during spring training and wherever I can slot it in.

amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think its any coincidence that these three are all Latin American (specifically Mexican) players, and its a fact that in this game a fair number of these players progress slowly. Some don't, but it looks like particular bad luck for you that all three look to fall into that category. As I've said before Archuleta was a guy I passed on when he was drafted, and seeing him develop so slowly has taken some of the sting out of missing out on him. Tough for you but persevering is all you can do for now, still too early to move on for my liking.
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Saavedra has the highest chance of panning out. But minor league players really gain the most SI once they get real playing time. I've rarely had a player that was truly ready to play once promoted. Check out this guy:

http://brokenbat.org/player/105677

78 SI when promoted at 24 (recommended not forced). He gained 10 SI but then 16 the following year. I've had pitchers gain as much as 20 in one season. Just make sure you give them all the playing time that you can. Cut bait once they slow down considerably and won't reach their actual potential, but there is hope for all 3 of those players.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think all three can pan out. I would bump them up to AAA at 25 though, and promote them to the majors no later than the all star break at age 27. After that they really likely wouldn't cap out, especially hitters.

Previous Page | Show All |