Help

Forum >> Help >> Can He Still Reach His Potential   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm wondering if I put Masahito Matsuda in AAA this whole season, will he reach his potential?
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm 99% positive he won't.
Even if he gets 7 points there (and I'm being optimistic here) he'll still be far from his full potential. And he'll probably gain more playing in the majors.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Might be worth sending him down to AAA through spring training while getting him plenty of playing time, just to see if it makes a difference. But I agree with Yuri there's not much point sending him down for the entire season at age 28. Honestly, if you have someone to replace him in the field I'd cut him and move on, because its only his fielding that merits his spot on the roster right now, and he needs to gain 8 SI this season and next to meet the minimum SI for a 15 POT - and by then he'll be 30 and in his decline phase.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't cut him. He made solid gains last season, and still only has 1k ABs. He could make nice improvements on the ML roster this season. Even if his gains do slow, he bring nice D to both middle infield positions and can steal you a base. Think that is a nice piece to have.

I agree that there is no point in sending him down for the season. I would keep playing him and hope for the best.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
He can't hit a lick, fielding % is lower than his Fielding suggests.
Arm is low for a SS.
All told, a liability.

As for development, he lacks at least half, maybe one full season at AA. Two / two and a half seasons at AAA.
Not going to make it up at 28.
(One season, you can do, not 3)

Imo, release
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Seca. He will gain a bit more SI this season and may even break (my personal) magic hitting number of 13. IMO, if a guy has 13 hitting, he will usually hold his own offensively until higher levels (D II and up). However, even if he doesn't get there, you still have a good role player. He is a good backup middle infielder (particularly at 2B, but imo he would be just fine at SS too), can enter the game as a pinch runner and nab a big bag for you in the 9th or whatever, and if your 2b/ss goes down with injury he can fill in and do the job.

Especially since he is so cheap, I would keep him. I am a believer in role players. For example, I have a player who is on the team simply to pinch run (I got that idea from my high school team lol): Orlando Duran

Ironically, Duran has hit two home runs in the past two seasons: two of the biggest home runs for the Isotopes. One was a game tying home run in the 9th inning in game 2 of the playoffs last season, and the other was a walk off grand slam in extra innings to clinch the division two seasons ago. In both instances, he entered the game too early to pinch run, then had to hit later and came up big.

I am also holding onto another player for his defensive capabilities. He actually is very similar to Masahito except four years younger and still improving.

Updated Saturday, December 10 2016 @ 12:04:14 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |