Help

Forum >> Help >> Some questions on my team   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
sShadow

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello, I need to have some choices on team, and I want anyone's advice.

1. Backup Catcher. On this season, I free agent signed Ernie Amato and claimed Félix Arteaga. Both have 13 POT, but I don't think they can reach their potential cuz they are both 27, 90s SI and I can't give them much play time. I don't need 2 backup Catcher and I may need to cut one. Which one is better? Amato has Big-C and 17 arm, Arteaga has small-c, 16 hitting with 16 arm. Looks like Arteaga is slightly better choice, but I'm afraid that he get small-C just 1 season ago, and may lose his eligibility if I don't give him enough play time. Moreover, are there any penalty by eligibility of catchers? ex)Catch Stealing, Pitcher's ERA, etc. Tell your experiences, please.

2. 3rd Base Prospects. Well, Our team's infielders are all age 30 and I need to choose next era's infielder. I know my every infield prospects have 1 or more problems to deal on LLIV except Ricky Bullard who is our future 2B, but anyway I need to choose some of them. I think I had 2 suitable prospects, Xavier Contreras and Alfredo Serrano. well Joe Shoemaker? when if his fielding grows up, I consider about him. Anyway, I think both have pros/cons. Contreras have VG hit, Amazing field but may have lack of power, and too low range(6) for even 3B, and have a little bit low SI for 24 years old, I think. Serrano has decent SI for 23 years old, OK defensive rating but has no hitting scout report(by his development graph, I'm afraid that his hitting will stop at 8 or 9, maybe too low) and no eligibility on 3B(he once has 3b 4 years ago, so maybe get 3b would not take so long). I'll choose one of them as next season's 3B(maybe tanking season...), and another one will be released, I think.
+ Extra Question. Both have scouting message that "He may have learned all he can at this level of competition." on AAA. Does it mean they can't have any SI increase on AAA's experiment or they just get lower experiment than usual? May it apply on Position Training too? What about "little overmatched" case? I have Alfredo Marín, 22 years old, 74 SI, 14 POT, who may be decent 1B/DH with Chul Moo Yi, my recentest successful pick. Everything goes right but the only problem is he is recommended to Rookie. I saw some posts that old rookie-recommended player would not developed properly, and worry that Marín will be one of its cases. Of course I won't release him, but I'll be little disappointed if that's correct.

3. ShortStop Prospects. Long questions for 3B, I should write down shorter. I have 2 prospects too, Max Knox and Jim Fallow. Maybe Knox is great by his 14 POT though his a little lack of Arm(12), but he is 25 years old and I think he only can reach his potential if he starts his starter career on major now. But our franchise SS Xavier Jiménez is still on his heyday. (well I know his defensive attributes are too low for SS, but he was the only one that eligible on SS when I first came to this team, and it's same today.) May I should place Knox as SS this season and Jimenez to 3B, Fossas as backup or OF? What's your choice if you are my team's owner? I think Fallow will be released soon so I don't consider about him, but would you?

Thanks for reading long questions. I'm not English-native person so there should be wrong grammars or some awkward sentences. I hope this questions and someone's answers would help all other players on BB. Don't need to answer all questions, but some would be appreciated too. Just tell whatever you know. Have a nice day!

Updated Thursday, December 22 2016 @ 12:06:14 pm PST

Updated Thursday, December 22 2016 @ 12:07:06 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
1. Amato is definitely the better defensive catcher, and his hitting has been surprisingly passable for a backup in his time in the Bigs. Arteaga certainly seems to have more upside for hitting based on his minor league performance. Tough call. Comes down to what you want in your backup. Defense or Offense. One other note, the position experience/performance goes on a scale. So there is negligible difference between a guy who just got "c" and a guy who just lost "c". I wouldn't worry about him losing it. Rather he is definitely not as skilled as Amato defensively.

2. Contreras looks awesome to me. His GB/FB means he hits mostly grounders, but that is ok given he doesn't have a lot of power. If he can get on base, that's all you need. His SI growth is very good. Anyone ready before 25 is doing good. I also think his range is fine for 3B. Serrano will hit for more power (and hits up, but otherwise I think he is inferior to Contreras. I'd definitely go with Contreras.

Joe Shoemaker maybe a passable (not great) SS if his fielding gets high enough. His weak defense will be offset a bit by higher production offensively than most SS.

+Extra Answers: They will only grow very slowly. Its almost always better to put them in the majors if you can get them a few ABs each week. I don't believe it effects Position Training, but I am not positive.

Yes Marin is behind in development. It doesn't look great. He should really be in at least A by 22. At the same time, he has a great build. I would probably give him a year or two to see how quickly he can develop.

3. You don't have to play a guy every day to reach his potential. I would bring Knox up, and just try to get him a few ABs each week. Alternatively Knox would probably be ok with a little more time in AAA. Defensively Jiménez is kind of borderline as a SS. I think Knox will be better in the long run. Knox is definitely better than Fallow.

As far as moving players, it really depends on your goals for this season. The rookies won't do as well. That's why I don't usually play rookies full time. Just a few games here and there (plus cup). I don't think Fallow is that great, I'd cut him. Jimenez isn't really a 3B. I'd leave him where he is and just work Knox in slowly. You could rotate him for a game or two with Fossas just to get Knox in the lineup, Knox is actually a better 3B, but he really needs time at SS for position training. That would be one more reason to leave Knox in AAA for a while. He might train SS faster getting more games in AAA.

TL/DR I think I am recommending your future guys to be Knox (SS), Contreras (3B), and Shoemaker (Utility). Although Shoemaker is a bit slow in development. For this year, I think you can leave the starters in, but work Knox in slowly when you have the opportunity.

Previous Page | Show All |