Help

Forum >> Help >> Cold players   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
chris_smeaton

Garden Grove Highlanders
VI.9

Broken Bat Baseball
What do you do when your player's are Cold or Very Cold?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Because form is merely a reflection of how they have played recently, and is not factored into how they will play in the future, it really depends on the player and situation. If you are giving a guy a trial run and he proves incapable of the job, then I cut him. If it is my star player and the backup would likely do worse then I just keep putting him out there until he gets hot again. Really no one correct answer to this question...
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Sometimes they snap out of it, sometimes they don't. I have a hitting team (Hit tools include 3x19, 4x18, 1x16, 1x15, 2x14) that can't hit, currently batting .251. If they ever wake up we could really make a run: yes we just had a 9-game win streak, and yes Plate Discipline is an issue for some guys, but five of these guys have been regulars since I got here and have all hit in the past.

Anyway, I specifically wanted to bring up Ernie Lawson and Mel Fletcher. These two are my would-be regular CF and RF, Fletcher playing CF when Lawson is Cold. Lawson didn't play much my rookie season because he couldn't hit (.197 AVG). In 2027 he was an All-Star because he was hitting around .350 before the break - after the break he hit around .180, and finished at .260: he completely fell off the table. In 2028, he was All-Star and All-League with a career year, hitting .291. In 2029, back off the table again, hit .227 (which was around .200 until a late season surge). This season? .284 AVG. Look at his splits against LHP and RHP, Home and Away - he's all over the place.

Prior to this season Fletcher by contrast had been a model of consistency, albeit with some fluctuations against LHP and RHP. This season the career .292 (or so) hitter is batting just .176, can't buy a hit. I keep putting him back in and giving him a few games but he keeps going back to the bench due to poor performance.

In other words, its a complete mystery. :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I tend to give them a break.

One additional caveat to what Newtman was talking about. When you go up a level, you kind of have to reassess your players all over again. Some guys fall off a cliff at a higher level of competition. If they have a long track record of success, I am unlikely to drop them outright, but I would use them less if they seem to be struggling at the new level.

Previous Page | Show All |