Help

Forum >> Help >> Advice on new team   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
DatDude

Boston Americans
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
So I have had this team for a couple of weeks and I was looking for a little bit of feedback. I know that you need position players to have a decent hit tool, but I can't release some of them due to the game setting a restriction on who to release(at least that is what I guess). That is the reason why I have a 27 year old in the minors. Finally, the reason why I have some lower rated pitchers on my roster is because I am looking to build a younger team since my record is pretty bad. So with that in mind, I look for any feedback on any aspect with this team. Thanks!
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
At a quick glance your hitters look good in that they're mostly playing in the right defensive position - your 2B and 3B need work there though. Consider making Taylor your every day 3B, it'll hurt a bit to start but he's got a good build for it. Meza is actually a pretty good looking 2B I skipped over the first time through but he might need a platoon buddy - give him plenty of rope for now.

If you're going to leave Olvera in the minors get him training for a more relevant position - 2B or OF to my eye.

I like some of the minor guys you've picked up but just check what position they're training for - Mitchell for example looks to be a 1B to me but it looks like you've got him at 2B. Humphrey is nothing flash but could be ok at 3B or C if you can't find better.

Consider putting Kline back to the minors to learn OF and give him some of that missed time in AAA? Lara is probably a guy you can let go when you're able, he's just taking AB's away from your young guys.

Hope that's a useful sweeping glance over your system!

The pitching looks to be developing OK, Solid but unspectacular, but should be fine for LL6.

Gomes and Rollins will continue to gain well if you leave them starting, Edwards looks like a low ceiling guy to me.

FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll run down the entire team. I'll post some logic on a handful of decisions, and then leave the rest for you to sort of apply it to.

First off, this link is important.

http://brokenbat.org/forum/-/3/2451

It tells you what the rough skill cap is for about 80-85% of the players in the game. 1-2% exceed these expectations. Some will occasionally not get trained properly or simply not make it to their cap before their cap that accounts for the remaining 14-19%. You can use this as a baseline for determining worth in the Waivers and in Draftees.

Also, I tend to cut any guy that doesn't have a good or better hitting comment. However, these guys can work well enough in D.V and D.VI. I just value potential to get me to playable at D.IV and above ahead of that, so i don't look for short term victories. As such, some 12's and 13's without hitting that you have i'll suggest to cut.

~~~~~~~~

C Olivera - Cut - Very good hitting, good defense. Probably was better suited for SS, and you could probably give him full playing time there if you wanted for short term. But he won't be completely viable until 29 i'd think, so thats not a lot of upside. There's another guy thats better.

C Kline - Fulltime SS or Bench bat/Cut - Great contact hitting, better defense than Olivera, should just get the bulk of playing time and hope he gets a small ss sometime next season. Without Power or Plate Discipline his ops numbers are not desirable at catcher.

C Maru - Start now, Cut later - He's good enough to be the short term starter. He will cap fairly quickly on his contact hitting, but shows enough power potential to probably merit time over other options at C.

C Anderson - Cut - No hitting, no real point to defensive catchers in this game like there is IRL. decent fielding and good arm is all you really need here. I'd cut Anderson before Olivera.

C Juan Mata - Minors for now, cut when you find someone with hitting, Power, & arm! - Low fielding, a lot of points tied up in range which isn't worth it, and no hitting means he'll struggle to put together more than a .230 average in the majors once you get to D.IV. I'd spend time on other options. http://brokenbat.org/player/135169 for example is probably going to be similar in relevant stats except contact hitting in which he'll be better. Those guys are fairly common low claim waivers of Fa's that you can find.

1B Medoza - Short Term Solution - He's a decent short term D.V or D.VI hitter.

1B Roberts - Bench/Cut - He's someone who is understated in his hitting report it appears (the displayed ratings are not 100% accurate, just a close representation). I'd probably not consider him for the long term.

1B Hinojisa - Start over Medoza or Cut - He's going to need to get lucky and make another 8-9 SI before he ends development to be relevant for you. I'd lean towards cutting.

1B Cervantes - Cut - I assume he's one that you cant cut yet, so won't spend time here.

1B King - Cut probably - I think you can find a less awkward fielder for 1B. Should be able to land a 10/10/10 defensive 1B that has the contact/power combo without too much effort surfing waivers (http://brokenbat.org/player/116192 is one of several i saw at the time of this post as an example, there are about 4-5 that you could take in the same mold).

1B Carrera - Cut - Lack's hitting comment.

1B Alarcon - Train at OF if you keep - I think you can find better in waivers, so i wouldn't suggest getting too attached to this guy.

2B Barnett - Cut as soon as you are able - Move on to younger guys, your team won't be climbing high with him. hitting + old. Find someone to play it thats younger.

2B Urbina - Develop and use - Not the most amazing of players, but he is a lefty bat that can field as a righty, which is a plus against right handed hitting most of the time. Low ceiling is a small concern and what you will inevitably have to find a replacement for.

3B Meza - Keep him playing at 2B - Good 2B here. I like Urbina a little more long term given how poor Meza's plate discipline is, but Urbina isn't ready yet.

3B Douglas - Replace with better prospect - no hitting comment, bad fielder, and i question if he'll make it to full build anyways.

3B Skaggs - Good player potentially, but too early for me to know how to project his build amongst BC/PD, but again probably not a guy destined for 3B, more likely a 2B because of arm.

SS Eche..something - Cut probably - bench SS for late game appearances. Terrible hitter. So you should cut the moment you can or find better.

SS Chin - Cut when you improve - bad fielding with great defensive arm and range isn't a great build for any position. hitting isn't good enough by itself.

OF in general - should aim for offense initially, and then draft into guys that have range and other defensive capabilities to eliminates Runs Allowed. Either hitting + PD + speed or hitting + power should work on 12 potentials, 13 potentials can have all of them. Would still not go for super low range or poor fielders though.

~~~~~~~~~~

Pitching is more of a hit or miss depending on who you talk to. My suggestion would be to qualify it like this.

Relievers:
11 Potential: can take a chance on guys with comments for velocity of 15+ and movement for 14+, but they need to have low stamina comment. Additionally, i would not take too many of these. Need to be at 65 or higher by the time they get called up (relievers don't grow as quick as starters. be careful of fielding, (fielding + range + arm, and multiply it by .5 to see how much it counts. pitching areas count for 1.25 each instead of 1 per pop).

12 potential: can take no stamina comment relievers, or guys that look like they're going for 11+ stamina can be low pitch count starters (100 or less). be careful of fielding, needs to probably be at 72 or better when entering the majors unless they're starting, then 65-67 imo.

13 potential: higher stamina pitchers are now in play. still be careful about fielding and aim for guys with comments still.

I don't believe in taking pitchers that are 8 or less control unless they have ridiculously high ceilings in velocity and movement. below average control (9-10 control) is a little bit less problematic.

i'd just work waivers until september 1st date on the calendar, and work through talent a lot in the offseason.
DatDude

Boston Americans
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you, I will have to read these later since I am a little busy.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Will Evaluate what you have brought in and kept.

Keith Berg - Very Good Hitter means he trends to probably 15-17. Decent Power trends to about the same. Amazing defense trends usually to 16+. So if he caps in 35-36 SI and develops properly, he's paced to probably 16 hitting, 14 power, and 17 fielding, or 21 of the 35 SI that he can gain. Meaning he's likely to also improve at least 5-6 in BC/PD, and could maybe go up in any of the 5 moving categories from there. So his full build value would probably be 17/12/11/15/6 18/11/13. Thats probably not going to be the amazing level of production, but could net a reasonable result, and probably fits mostly as a 2B (you can certainly train him for the OF or keep his C strong if you want some flexibility though). If you want my opinion, i think he'll probably end closer to 96-97 SI because of his current pace of development.

Hernandez - Will cap at 15 hitting, 14 power, and 17 fielding. I think it is more likely that he reaches 15 hitting and 12 power given the growth rate of each skill. I think that you'll see the greatest return out of him at catcher, where his good fielding and armstrength should overshadow his poor range. Fairly confident that he will get to 102-103 SI (Full potential).

Brambilla - has no real upside because of the development room he has. He is an example of someone who got called up prematurely from AA to the majors, did not get starting pitching time, did not necessarily get amazing appearance ratios as a reliever (30 appearances and 30ish innings is kinda low, would want 40-50 and 80ip ideally on relievers you want to move fast), so you can learn from others mistakes. cut him when you find a pitcher on waivers worth something in the offseason).

Mirales - Cutable as well. He is going to develop some, probably another 7-8 pops in pitching categories. Velocity is 1 away from cap (12 is the highest non-comment in most normal cases), everywhere else is fair game until 13 (movement only, CoS/Control are 20 caps). I'd guess at fairly normalized distribution amongst the areas of his build, but my major concern here is he doesn't have a definable "out skill" where he can get out of innings by just being better.

Zelaya - Cutable - No comment on velocity or movement, means both have low ceiling. The growth rate of skills likely suggests that he will gain most of his 14-15 pitching pops in CoS and control. depth reliever now, gone later.

Ribeiro - Prolific Slugger means it could go all the way to 20. However, his hitting will not go past 12, and his PD won't really grow fast enough either. Probably going to go to 11 hitting and probably not past 8 Pd means he really has no chance to produce a good OPS for you long term.

hajek - short term solution for DH and iffy at 1B/OF, so nothing too terrible.

McGowan - He has the very good hitting comment, but his cap is in 14 skill points. So i suspect he will get to the low end, or 15ish. Without PD, his obp will be low, and without a positive power comment you can't expect much power either. So mostly a .260/.300/.350 split.

Carr - Not a good player due to not having anything that he accomplishes with particular success.

Sakura - not a good player, lefty defensive stud with no offense, so he only really plays 1B/OF with that left handed build.

Villegas - could be decent in about 8 seasons, but he will be high fielding and will lose quite a bit of offensive build potential.

Prochazka - Great defender, but lefty. He won't exactly get to use his defensive skillset in any important defensive position.

Rogers - He has a better chance than most of being ok. But his power will be 14ish by the end, and so he again will lack a major out pitch. Need to scout guys with strikeout pitcher/unhittable on velocity or major league curve/exceptional movement comments.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd be wary with high Velocity guys with no Movement rating. They have a tendency to give up a lot of HRs.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm wary of those, but less wary of high velocity and low movement than i am mediocre everything.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I disagree with Fury on one point, I like high CoS/Control builds (i.e. no scouting comments), they can get outs with a halfway decent defense. Some are duds, like every other build, but I have had several perform crucial roles on my staff at LL II and III.

The rest of his analysis is pretty solid, though I also am more willing to take the occasional flyer on a guy with lower (or no) hitting comments if the situation is right.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There are a lot of situations where certain players can do ok with less than ideal hitting or no comments. However, i try to calculate where exactly the control and CoS is going to end. If both are 16+, i find it hard to give credibility to that build. With hitting, i find that high PD and high power can work, but the amount of times those players will be of value when they aren't defensively sound is minimal. you can find enough talent on the market to take advantage of the hitting comments to not have to take that many chances.

Previous Page | Show All |