Help

Forum >> Help >> hello new player here wanting advice   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
kprow25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
hello guys im a new player here and i was hoping to get some advice or some pointers on some things all the help i can get the better to get used to thngs here
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
You joined at a slow time because it's late enough in the season where you can't add anyone except for drafting your weekly prospect. I don't think this is a bad thing. Play around with setting up your lineup and pitching. Look at your minors and starting reviewing the young free agents. Most of the time when you take over a team the minor league system is in shambles. Start finding better free agents to cull out your worst minor league guys after the season rolls over. Oh, also make sure your minor league players are in the proper level as that may be a mess.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When you are officially eliminated from promotion, cut Willie Green and Tommy Schaefer. Work your way towards more manageable financial stability, both of those players will retire in the off-season if dropped.

Analyze Legends teams and D.II teams and see what works for them, and try to model your team to develop into those players while you learn the game. Then you can make your own determinations about what works.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Welcome!

Steve
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As others said, take this time to look over your team and see what changes you need to make in the upcoming off-season.

You're probably going to want to give the ax to any players who may be past their prime or simply aren't going to be good enough.

Given how late in the year it is, you can use the stats on players in the majors to get an idea of how well your players are performing. While 1 season isn't the best sample size, it's much more useful than people who try to look at the first month of the season like it means anything xP

You'll probably wanna a play to reorganize your rotation and other pitching roles as well as your starting lineup... make sure you have guys who can field their positions (especially when it comes to SS, 2B, CF, and 3B) and see if you can optimize the batting order.

Make a rough outline of who you intend to start next season and where and then look at your holes... spots you don't have someone in mind for or feel isn't really that great and those will be your key roles to fill.

After the playoffs are done, the season will eventually 'flip' over and Waiver signing will be activated again. At that point in time, you'll wanna aggressively hunt down people to fill the holes in your team. Make as many claims as possible because you won't win them all. If you get lucky and sign more than you need, no big deal... you can cut the least useful of them.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Not done one of these for a while so I'll take a more in-depth look at your team. Don't cut anyone right now. Free agency is closed for the season so you can't sign any replacements anyway. Like others have said, joining at this time of the season is actually quite good - new owners are limited in their signings and cuts for their first 25 (real life) days, so you can't make any dumb decisions right now (unlike the rest of us! :D ). Like brentswagger and Crazy Li suggested scour the free agent lists for young players (up to age 25, and perhaps 27/28) who still have room to develop. Or, if you think you are close to being a contender (as you are this season) look for guys who can plug any holes in your squad. Your minors depth is pretty thin (but I'll get to that) and looking to the future is hugely important in this game.

For more on scouting reports and what they mean, see here.

Lets take an overview of the roster:-

C: Booth is a cut at season's end, no useful skills and too old now. Ibarra is a good defensive C but hasn't been that great at throwing out baserunners the last two seasons, he should be your backup until you find a better replacement - hitting and a good Arm (16+) are all you need at the position. I'd play Berry full time: he doesn't really have the Arm and the Range is wasted (he'd be much more useful defensively in the OF) although apart from power he might not hit enough to be worth it, but its not like you have anything to lose by playing him. You could use a serious upgrade here.

1B: Garcia has this covered but he's getting old. Reardon is playing way above his scouting report (no hit tools at all) which probably isn't sustainable, I'd look to replace.

2B: MacDonald has been a decent hitter but is 32 and although he has ideal range for 2B he's a poor defender there: you want Fielding 15+ at that spot ideally, and a .933 FPCT and 36 Errors (!!) is poor, and that's probably down to only having the 'small' 2b and not the full eligibility 2B. I also look for a DP ratio of about 1:10 for all FA, and MacDonald is some way off that. He'd be better at DH or OF or even 3B, given his eligibility there. Abreu is an eventual cut. Trevino lacks ideal Range but would do for now, plus he has almost the perfect hitting report - he needs to play every game, every day to realise his potential. DON'T play him at C unless you're desperate, a 6 Arm is useless there.

3B: I'd say Enriquez is a cut with that poor defense and .230 AVG, but those 31HR sure are nice. Play him at DH and MacDonald at 3B. Henry is another good young bat but he's not really a 3B or OF, more of a 1B/DH type, and again he needs to play full time. Proietti has the dreaded "never be a decent hitter" label, which means he should have been a SS only, or defensive replacement 2B. He has hit a bunch of HR in the minors but these guys almost never work out as full-time hitters: if he keeps it up then fine, but as soon as he waivers he'd be riding the bench or cut for me. Too late to play him at SS but he has 193 minors games at 2B so should gain the small 2b pretty soon if he gets enough games there, if you want to try that. I personally prefer a much better, more consistent bat at 3B.

SS: English has done well here on both sides of the ball, but you ideally want Range 15+ here (and in Fielding and Arm). You could use a replacement (Proietti would have been ideal defensively). Roman is a cut, he'll probably retire at season flip.

OF: I'd play Nieves in CF and Di Paolo in right - Nieves has the better Range which is most important in center. Anthony is another guy at the end of the line, and Marrero should probably never have made the team in the first place, never mind playing eleven seasons; they are both cuts. I might actually move Berry to LF and play Ibarra at C for now, it would help your defense immensely.

P: All your pitchers aged 33 and over will need replaced. ALL of them. Your other seven pitchers give you a pretty good base, but Ramirez needs to be sent back down to the minors - prospects are auto-recommended for the majors once they turn 25, but ignore that. They need equal playing time at all minors levels (rookie through AAA) WHEN POSSIBLE. Ramirez has just this season at AA, so I'd play him all next season at AA and AAA and bring him up in 2032 at age 27, which is about the only way he'll come close to reaching his potential (it happens with Latin players sometimes).

More coming...
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Minors

Always follow recommendations on when to promote prospects: doing so early or late will only hurt them. And as I said before do not follow recommendations to promote players once they reach age 25, unless they've played roughly the same amount at all minors league levels (which might just be AA and AAA for college prospects).

AAA: Duran and Warren will be fine, although Warren has a lot of points in Range and Arm which are wasted, meaning his CoS and Mov will likely be low. Arellano is a borderline prospect, OF-only defensively: I'd replace him. Gustafson has gotten the call but he's a borderline 3B prospect (could use a better arm) but he'd do, or he could play 1B/DH - he's not a 2B/SS at all however. Cerda is a cut, although he has value as a pinch runner right now given he can steal bases. Caldwell would make a decent 3B and Tejeda is a decent 4th OF who could start just for his tremendous base stealing skills. None of these five players have a positive Hit report though so will never hit for high averages - you should really look for good or better hitting reports. Which is why Villareal and Lovett look like better prospects, although both are probably 1B/DH types too.

AA: Cronin is a...yep, 1B/DH type. When you get too many of these guys all eligible for the same position you need to make changes, get a better spread of options, but that will be your call. Dos Santos would make a good 2B but will never be much of a hitter. Bagley...SS prospect! 14 Range is borderline but he'll do very nicely.

A: Piotrowski is a cut. Anyone below 12 potential is a cut in almost all cases, and below average control does not help. I personally avoid the International Pool at all costs when drafting, but there have been discussions on how to improve it. Stack could be a #1 starter in time, he compares very well to Knepper on my team and might well be better, especially as a righty. Windham is a borderline 3B/C prospect but will likely never hit, I'd replace him too.

Hope all that helps! You have a pretty good manager there, despite the poor pitching report, so I'd stick with him - there's certainly nothing better around. Always watch your finances (I wouldn't pay more than $2.5M for a player in LLVI, and probably only 1-2 of those), and you play in quite a hitters park so you may want to find out what your strengths are and adjust your park in the offseason to suit that (or leave it alone!).

Any other questions, just keep asking in here.
kprow25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
ty guys for all the help only had the team for less then a week now imma let it all soak in n my main obj for next season is go younger then work on the special skils n *beep* like that i wanna make this team mine not someone elses project from prev owner n when im close to making playoffs n a promotion it will feel better knowing i built that team

Previous Page | Show All |