Help

Forum >> Help >> Playing Minors in Majors   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
pastorphil

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So, my shot at the cup is over. But I have 4 games left.

I have a player in the minors who is already being paid .50 million, from a previous owner.

Should I call him up for these 4 cup games? Does this mess with anything in a negative way? Will it help him gain experience faster in his position? Any other positive does it add for him to play 4 games in the majors before being sent back down?

I know I would want him back in minors before training. ...but not sure how else this effects him.

Thanks for any help.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I use to call up minor league players when there season was over. I stopped doing this because they all didn't get there major league arrow until after they passed their original ETA season. They are are still on pace to get all there skill points, but I wonder if calling them up delayed them being recommended on time.
pastorphil

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
thank you for sharing your experience. any one else know anything?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
There is probably limited value in doing this. You'd be trading a week of training for 4 games of experience. Not convinced that is a net gain.

That assumes he hasn't played other games this week, and that he isn't recommended for the majors.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If he is way ahead of schedule in the minors (e.g. a 20 year old in AA) then I would consider it, but otherwise I generally keep guys in the minors. I have too many guys who don't get recommended before 25 as is.
pastorphil

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Why would a player lose a whole week of training for playing one game or one series in the majors? I'm certain I am missing some sort of knowledge here about how training works. Could someone help me, please?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know for certain... but if you call a guy up to the majors and he's in the majors for the Friday update, he may not receive ANY minor league training (even if he played minors games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). This is likely the reason behind suggesting he loses the whole week for 4 games, assuming you only play him those 4 cup games.

Also if you think about sending him BACK down to the minors after the cup games, he can likely get the minors training, but no credit for the cup games until he ends an update in the majors.

That's the theory anyway. Who knows how it actually works?

I only try this with 25yo guys who I didn't feel were properly ready. Of course that gamble failed since the guy got immediately injured and will only get 1 game anyway so I'mma send him back down for his minors development and try again on Friday :p
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. If you keep him in the majors you will benefit from the games played, but have sub-optimal training b/c at the wrong level.

If you play him and send him back down you will get normal training but may* not get experience from the games played.

May* b/c it doesn't explicitly say anything in the rules. It would seem (to me) a major potential exploit if you could benefit from full experience and full minor league training by shuttling your players back to the minors every thursday night.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
And while I don't believe Steve every clarified this point, I do feel like he's said Spring Training is the only real method of "double dipping" which would imply that shuffling back and forth does not actually work.

This is why I sorta buy into the theory that you only get credit for the level you're at during the update.

That's not to say the majors games don't ever count at all necessarily. It may be possible that any time you played in the majors gets checked during every update that occurs with the player actually in the majors. So if you say played 8 cup games one week, sent down after the Monday ones and got your minors training update that week... then called them up again at the end of the season and left them in the majors for the final update... there's a chance they get the 8 cup games from earlier added to whatever they played at the end of the regular season in that final calculation.

Basically getting it eventually but not at the same time. There's no proof one way or the other what actually happens though.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd spend more time filling up my roster than calling up guys from the minors for playing time they won't benefit from. You only have 34 players, so you should be signing a bunch of guys from age 24-27 that are ML-ready and giving them playing time. You should be building for the long term and getting rid of those old guys. Your eight prospects look good enough, but you need a whole lot more whether its free agents or waiver claims.

Previous Page | Show All |