Help

Forum >> Help >> Total rebuild   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Season one: all but 2 starters were youth, the 33 and up were cut. We won something like 59. Year 2 I think it was two better veterans and the same group a full season later, won 72 games. 29-14 so far this season. Even in this market, I think if you take 25 and 26 year olds that are behind and get it turned with decent draft luck
msigg6

Bay City Lions
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Takes about 5-6 seasons to start recovering from first stages of rebuilding.

I'm barely climbing back up the ranks again after being at the top for awhile. Started around 2023
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm on season 4. My team was fairly good but not great when I got it, but only one of the major stars was getting toward retirement. After a slight learning curve (prioritize hitting reports before power) I started mainly drafting high schoolers to keep the pipeline pumping. I won my division but not my league my second season. I was relegated back to VI the season after that. I currently have a team that is in a fight for another division win, with a lot of talent percolating in the low minors. I have a killer catcher coming up next season, then the floodgates open.So in my case, six seasons for your personal imprint to manifest.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It would be quite the experiment to rebuild with purely drafted talent, and would take some extremely good fortune in the draft itself. But rebuilds can be fun, and there are always tons of under-developed guys (or late developers) available in free agency/waivers, players that didn't work on their previous team(s) but who may benefit from 100% playing time on a rebuilding team - seen it happen many times. If you are prepared to put in the time you can reap some nice rewards. Rebuilding teams making 160+ transactions in a single season are not uncommon.

Playing the waiver wire continuously can turn a team around in short order. As Fury stated you can target players in the 24-26 age range, guys who haven't come close to their potential can take sudden leaps.

I had an empty minors system when I started but a pretty decent major league roster (especially hitters), so I mainly drafted college players (once I figured things out) to form a quick pipeline to help my vets. But once the draft and free agency filled up my minors I looked to high school prospects to give me more long-term flexibliity.
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Season 2. Well I got this team near the end of last season but I like our improvement. Last year we won 10 games. This year we might be at .500 win percentage. That's a huge jump
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Season 2. Well I got this team near the end of last season but I like our improvement. Last year we won 10 games. This year we might be at .500 win percentage. That's a huge jump
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have really been enjoying the project of a rebuild. When I took over my team, a LL6 team, it was just before the 2030 season, so I've had them for a season and a half. For the 20 years prior, they failed to have a single winning record, going 1146-2055 and a RD of -5863 during that stretch for an average annual record of 57-103, RD -293. Not a single draft pick was chosen during the 2029 season and only 5 of the first six rounds were drafted in 2028, only 2 of which are still on the team and both currently reside in AA.

Since then, I have made a total of 132 transactions. I have released 65 players, signed 16 free agents, have been awarded 36 waiver claims (21 of which had less than 10 claims, 14 of those had five claims or less, and 5 had only my claim on them). I have also drafted 15 players, only one of my entire 2030 draft class remains on my roster, while 4 of 5 from this year are still around.

Quite a lot of activity but this is what it has produced: The year 2028 was the last year this team was not under bot control. That year, they had a record of 62-98, a team BA of .237, team OPS of .665, team ERA of 4.97, and RD of -242. I had a record of 101-59 in 2030, taking second in my division. Comparable stats were .287/.828/4.48/+186.

This season thus far, I am 33-17, .294/.853/3.58/+110 to lead my division by 5 games.

I kind of feel dumb for this since I am still one myself, but my advice for newbies in rebuild mode:

First, you must put in the time to learn the game. Look to the game manual and especially the forums for help from the veteran players. Of specific note for me are the SI breakdowns for scouting reports of different POTs. They help to project a players development. Second, analyze the players, their stats, and their projected trait development. Do this for your existing roster to determine which players you wish to keep and those you can release. Also do this for free agents/waiver claims. The stud players will have a lot of waiver claims, so getting lucky is always helpful. Third, learn what to look for in scouting reports when you draft. Whenever possible, you will want to draft someone noted with "very good" or "good" potential. They have a higher chance of being a higher POT player that will be useful in the future. Finally, build up your minors. You shouldn't expect a lot of big league success during the early stages of a rebuild. Drafting and acquiring quality young talent to develop is the key to the future, as well as maintaining the success you will eventually find.

Spend some time learning the game, and you will soon find out why so many of us really enjoy Broken Bat, and log in multiple times every day. If I am missing anything, please feel free to add on.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As with Seca and mcrmoe, my last total rebuild was 2017 in my first season with Raleigh. My experience was much like Seca's, but my re-build stretched a little longer as I was still making lots of transactions into the second season. As Seca mentioned, the way I did it wouldn't be possible really any more since almost every halfway decent player is contested nowadays. In comparison I got Carr, Abbott, Cardona, Kent, Gray, and Reyna all with less than 5 claims (iirc) each over the course of the 2017 preseason. That was a good portion of the nucleus of the team that promoted from LL VI to V (where I got stuck for 3 seasons) and then to II in consecutive seasons.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I joined at the end of the 2022 season, and picked up a rebuild team. My team was stuck in league 6 for the past 12 seasons, so I wanted to turn them great I suppose.

2022/2023 draft years I was all over the place. But the 2 good players I picked up (Medina and Zimmerman) just joined the majors recently. The college players I picked up in 2024/2025 have been in the majors for 2-3 seasons now. 14/27 players on my majors are drafted by me, 2 of them were on the team before I joined, and the rest are waivers/FAs.

My team is starting to "hit their prime", so I'm hoping that equates to promoting to higher leagues, but I'm still waiting and seeing what happens. So no success story yet, but maybe that'll change soon :)
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I started about 10-15 games into the '27 season with a decent major league team in my level. My minor league prospects needed a lot of work. So, I started replacing low performing low potential players through the draft and waiver/free agent market. After winning the VI.16 East division in '28, I had a disastrous '29 season in V.8. That's when I started to drop players under performing at level V, along with older overpaid players. This continued into the '30 season, which was a second straight losing season that showed promise as I went 32-28 to finish that season. We are in 1st right now and more of the prospects I drafted or signed will be on my major league team throughout this season. I think I have 1 or 2 prospects picked up before me. I am concerned with only drafting 1 14 POT since I started and I think I'll have problems competing in
higher levels.

Previous Page | Show All |