Help

Forum >> Help >> Rotation   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
calebapple

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Can someone look at my pitchers and tell what my optimal rotation and bullpen should look like. I've got lots of guys who are pretty good, but they just aren't performing well at all.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think you have them in reasonable spots given their abilities.

Naitō is probably excess; two LHS is probably overkill for most teams unless you have them set to come in very early. Gonzalez has limited up side, I'd be looking to replace him with a rookie. Same with Meda and Green. Hughes is pretty borderline. Livingston is going to be hot and cold; feeling lucky?

I'd recommend having two MRs. You really need a minimum of 3 guys at SS/LR/MR, which you do have, but it wouldn't hurt to have one more guy in the middle to ensure your starters don't go too long.

Your pitching staff is a bit mediocre overall and starting to age. You don't have much ready in the minors. I'd look to bolster the team with some high ROI risky 25-26 year old guys.

calebapple

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
ROI?
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
How about you move naito to LR and one of your RHP to RHS?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, ROI means Return On Investment. So a guy who might be risky, but has a lot of upside.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
LR/MR/MR2/SU1/SU2/CL
1st/5th/5th/6th/6th/8th

Thats how i would set up until you get 1 more pitcher. Let the game engine pick them from their roles when it is going well, and let the game engine swap them around with more than just 1 other option when it is not.

If your rotation is consistent enough, you can move the SU's to 7th inning instead of 6th.

I'd also cut some of your awful minor leaguers. A guy with 12 potential and poor fielding comment won't be useful. Martinelli is cut-worthy. Stephenson is probably cut worthy. Could get 2-3 pitchers on waivers in the offseason with those spots that could at least be decent middle pen guys with just a season of time.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Since we are in the same division and you are 4 and 2 against me in our last 6 head to head games, maybe I should be asking you for advice instead of offering some. :-)

You have the 3rd best team ERA in our division so that is not bad at all. Cogswell is a good closer. Gunawan is going well as setup man. But you do have several pitchers who are near or over 5.00 ERA and some of your starters are aging. So there is room for improvement. [ Just please not too much improvement against my team of course, LOL :-) ]

Sometimes a pitcher will do better in a different role. Sometimes the pitch count needs to be changed for some pitchers. These changes have helped my pitchers some in the past. But sometimes these changes can make things worse. Sometimes you just need to cut a pitcher and move on. This is what I did with Meng after moving him to the bullpen and not getting better results.

But since we are division rivals, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to suggest which pitchers you might consider cutting since I do have a conflict of interest. :-)

But it is important that you have another pitching option that you feel comfortable about ready to take the place of any pitcher that you do cut. Even if that option is just freeing up roster space so you have more room to add waiver claims.

Also, I agree with what Rock said about having pitching getting ready in the minors. That is very important. You only have 4 pitchers in the minors and 3 of them are in rookie ball. May-be I've gone too far in the other direction on my team with 12 pitchers currently in AAA and AA. But having many pitching options getting ready in the minors is good since you do not know who will fully develop in a good way or who will be very successful in the majors. And sometimes even a pitcher with a good scouting report who does develop in a good way will not perform up to his ratings or scouting report. So it is all ways important to have another option getting ready in AAA.

Our next head to head matchup is in a couple weeks on April 20th, game date Sept 9-11 2031. That should be fun!

If you are interested there is a forum page for our league, I have posted some things there about goings on in our league. But it is rarely used at this point. I have noticed that other leagues have a more lively discussion going on in their league pages. If people are interested, maybe our league could get that going on as well.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh and P.S.

Pitching is important in our division right now since the Allen Armadillos are loaded with many many very good hitters and they are pounding pitchers currently. They have shredded my pitchers several times so far this season and I currently have the best team ERA in the league!

Congrats to Jwrose on assembling a terrifying lineup of hitters.

Updated Friday, April 7 2017 @ 8:46:47 pm PDT
Jwrose

Parma Dodgers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
Ty😉
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Jwrose,

Your welcome and you deserve it! :-)

Previous Page | Show All |