Help

Forum >> Help >> Rough Situation   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
IssenT

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I inherited a team with a bad record this season, and it hasn't exactly been looking up for me either. Dead last in the league.

The prospects seem decent, there's a few gems but they will need many more seasons to be polished products for the majors. Looking into some old press releases of the previous owner, it seems that pitching has been really letting them down.

I'm a complete newb so I don't know much, but is there something in my roster that's just off? Is my pitching rotation ideal? (I'm aware of Leon's stamina problem but I have no idea where to put him and there isn't anyone really suitable to replace him-- But then again I am a newb.)

Some tips and tricks would be nice, thanks.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The advice i usually give managers in your position is to try to find decent defensive players for CF, SS and 2B. (Decent means 15 ot more range, some fielding for the infielders, some arm for CF and SS). Having some defense at these positions takes some stress off your pitching staff.

Might mean some shifting around. Your SS is a nice offensive producer. Suppose he could DH if you found a decent SS with more range. At 2B you currently have a 29 year old C. It may not be a good proposition to train him how to play 2B given his age.

We're only a couple RL dys away from the waiver deadline for the season. May not be able to get much done. But those are some things to consider as waivers reopen next season.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
One bright spot: it's before the Sept 1, so you can still sign new players to improve over your current guys. Be sure to do that before it's too late.

Leon definitely shouldn't be a starter... even ignoring his stamina, he's not a very good pitcher. MR at best. Turner is also pretty bad. You'll wanna try to find upgrades for them before next season if you want to be competitive next season.

At your level, you're going to want guys with a minimum of 13 in 2 out of the 3 of Vel/CoS/Mov. For starters, try to get at least 12 stam if possible. For SU/CL, you really don't want guys with less than 10 control because they'll give up too many walks in clutch situations.

You have a 28yo in your minors. He's not gonna get better. You might as well cut that guy when you have the chance.

Your 25yo SS in AAA is never gonna be good.

Offensively, you want guys who have "good hitting" or better. At your level above 13 is what you're aiming for ideally. Make sure players in the minors are training optimally, set to positions that best fit their defensive abilities. For example, a SS needs high range and arm with a positive fielding report. 2B are the same minus the need for arm. Heavy arm favors 3B and C.

That said... if you have no hope this season, I strongly recommend starting any young, developing player you have. Don't worry at all about fielding the best possible line-up this year. Just give guys playing time so they can grow faster. If you're losing anyway, it's not gonna make much difference but you'll be so much better next season if you get extra gains.

This off-season, your focus should be identifying new talent that can improve your team. There are a lot of guides floating around on what to look for, so definitely read up.

Updated Thursday, April 13 2017 @ 3:54:06 pm PDT
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While your team isn't a total tear-down type of inherited team, you will probably have to accept demotion at some point until you gte enough quality pitchers into the team.

The first thing i would like to do is help you with your minors.

Minors Pitching

Romero - A ball at 18 and 25 SI. Probably means he's going to at best get promoted up a level every 8-10 SI, and be interested in the majors by about 55-60 at the absolute latest, which means he will be underdeveloped and unlikely to make it to the majors. Add to that a control concern, and to me you have just a decent SP who will fall short of his top end. I'd keep for now, cut when you improve.

Cervantes - Anyone with below average control is startable but scary. Anyone with lacking control is at most a long relief type to me. Anyone who has a wild comment isn't going to survive the majors. Cut.

Roush - 13 potential, low velocity, high movement SP. Likely to get to mid to upper 70's before wanting to be called up, and should get close to his full potential or there as long as he gets proper innings. This is the type of player you would like to have in your minors.

Kaiser - Top end velocity comment, 13 or less movement likely. middle of the road stamina, probably aiming for middle relief. I think he'll probably be a mostly Velocity/Control type given his starting point in CoS. Ideally, you have 2 out pitches over 15 and 13+ control on a reliever, this guy will be good but not great because he won't get to that point. I'd keep over Romero, but not be enamored with him.

Villegas - While i hold some doubts that he'll be an incredible pitcher, he has max comments in the three areas you can get comments (stamina, movement, and velocity). So he should have no problems reaching his SI cap from that standpoint. I do think he'll end in the 110-116 range based on his development speed, but definite keeper.

Avalos - This is either a guy that will be a low stamina starter (low stamina meaning 10-12 is most likely). I'm not sure exactly how close he can get to maxing out most of his ratings, but his pacing of development suggests CoS will finish two above velocity, and his Control will finish 1 above. So it's suggesting 17/19/17/18/10 pretty much. I'd rate him as a premier 2 inning closer or a 5-6 inning starter who is a stud. I'd give him a top 25 prospect tag too (in all of broken bat). he's around 18th right now according to broken bat, and i tend to agree. 100% keep.

Lawson - promoting faster than he's gaining the SI, which basically means he'll be most likely to make the majors at a point where he won't have the talent to help you immediately, and will go through some tough times in development (think 60's or low 70's SI wise). The other major concern for me is not that he will cap at 16 or less velocity, but the likelihood of him utilizing a lot of SI in fielding as a pitcher. I'd keep over Romero, but probably cut before Kaiser.

Puente - Surprisingly good compared to his comments. His CoS, Control, and Velocity are all aiming at that 15-16 line, which should make him a solid lefty reliever. I don't think you have to necessarily wait until he's ready for the majors comment wise if you don't want to, he'll cap at 101-103 SI anyways.

Horton - a 1 pitch innings eater. I think these types are a dime a dozen in FA.

Kruger - no comments. So it means 13 or less stamina most of the time, 12 or less velocity, and 14 or less movement. cut worthy in my estimation.

Hitting

As far as hitting goes, anyone without a contact hitting comment is likely to be a defensive only type of player. Hitting allows you to execute on your power and other aspects of player such as stealing bases. No comment is basically a 12 or less, good is basically a 14-15 or less, very good should be a 16 or 17 at max, and finally great should be 18-20.

Anyone that lacks a decent amount of defense or a decent amount of hitting you should consider cutting.
IssenT

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the responses everyone, i'll take all of the advice into consideration.

Obviously I don't want to face relegation just yet so I will make an attempt at trying to scrape together some wins through shifting players around and signing/claiming some. Though I will likely need to concede if the record gets too ugly and just start giving Ochoa and Puente some games alongside the other young guys.

Appreciate the assistance.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You are 8 games back of 3rd, 4th, and 5th and have to pass at minimum two teams. So while you don't have to admit defeat, you should be looking on the waivers immediately for guys with more than single season impact. Here are a few guys that i would instant cut.

1B Devin Bass - While at 14 potential you might think he's a good player, his 12 hitting grade makes him a poor everyday 1B. Add to that he lacks power and has only twice in a season gotten to roughly a .360 obp mark, and you have a low end 1B. If you wanted to keep him for some reason, you would at minimum need to not start him against lefties, as he is on average 30 points lower in the batting average against lefties, and will lose you more games than he'll win you against a standard free agent 1B imho.

C 1 of Cole or Banning - Banning is 26 and can grow a little and has better arm, but in the fall to D.VI Cole was the better playing backup (last season in D.VI he had an .800 ops). I'd probably keep Banning and give him a chance to get to 97-98 SI, but you definitely don't need 3 catchers, and ops wise there is a clear #1 to which these guys are backups to atm.

1B Galindo - his 8 hitting grade is really poor. He has hit ok against righties, but like Bass should never ever hit against left handed pitching. It's interesting because he might hit .210-.220 if he gets to 11 hitting and has an 18+ power and Pd combination, but i don't think it's something that will get him past Division 5, so it's a short term play if you plan on sitting in D.VI for some time.

You desperately need contact hitting. A guy like http://brokenbat.org/player/116303 is on waivers tonight, and could play 1B against lefties and OF vs righties immediately for every remaining game, and could get to 18/17/12/14/9 11/10/15 without much effort. A guy like http://brokenbat.org/player/136208 might not be a great long term option, but if he gets to say 14/17/15 with 14 speed he could at least put together some decent D.V or D.VI seasons with OBP and speed to get into scoring position better than a 9/12/16 hitter would get (these three ratings are hitting/bat control(k's)/plate disicipline(walks) fyi).

These options are younger guys that don't force you to throw in the towel but give you something to look forward to, and all you lose out on are guy that are holding you back from being competitive now.
IssenT

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Whelp, 3-0'd today so things aren't exactly looking pretty. Haven't won any major waiver claims(Those with more than just myself claiming)

I assume the formula is 1/x(x being the # of claims)

It wasn't a pretty series, he had a bunch of RHP and my offense as been atrocious versus RHPs anyways. Ugh. Might need to change some pitching tactics and whatnot.

Made use of my claim on those guys. My claims for today will be pretty important too, still trying to fish for pitching talent for this season but maybe I should just call Puente up to the Majors in some sort of capacity. My bullpen's a mess right now, just hasn't held up in DV.

Maybe I should look to bring some of these guys up but not entirely sure how the system works in terms of development. Do you get more if you play in the majors or can it ruin a player? If I look at my prospect rankings, it does say Puente and Lange should be ready this season anyways.

For Bass idk, I don't exactly have better options coming up short term. He still draws a lot of walks given his PD and steal bases every now and then but his hitting hasn't been inspiring. Killer arm but meh range. It's that SI, probably misleading as hell but you're right. Cutting is a serious option and it'll save me some $$.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

I assume the formula is 1/x(x being the # of claims)

It wasn't a pretty series, he had a bunch of RHP and my offense as been atrocious versus RHPs anyways. Ugh. Might need to change some pitching tactics and whatnot.

Made use of my claim on those guys. My claims for today will be pretty important too, still trying to fish for pitching talent for this season but maybe I should just call Puente up to the Majors in some sort of capacity. My bullpen's a mess right now, just hasn't held up in DV.

Maybe I should look to bring some of these guys up but not entirely sure how the system works in terms of development. Do you get more if you play in the majors or can it ruin a player? If I look at my prospect rankings, it does say Puente and Lange should be ready this season anyways.

For Bass idk, I don't exactly have better options coming up short term. He still draws a lot of walks given his PD and steal bases every now and then but his hitting hasn't been inspiring. Killer arm but meh range. It's that SI, probably misleading as hell but you're right. Cutting is a serious option and it'll save me some $$.

By Paragraph:

1)I'd think it's not too far from that.

2)Your hitting is very pedestrian in general. You're going to experience this time and time again until you improve the hitting grades in at least 4 or 5 spots in the lineup.

3)Looks like you got one of the guys i suggested. I'd find time for him immediately, despite the fact that you'll see some iffy performances (my guess is 600's ops wise).

4)For the most part, you should just follow what it says. I differ quite a bit on what constitutes good development practice, so you'd be following the rebel on my advice. My rule of thumb is i want to let SP's get within 35 SI of cap, Relievers within 28 of cap (meaning the guys with the actual reliever stamina comment), and 25-26 is preferred on hitters. Additionally, i think once a player hits his cap in one of his ratings, it will stop his progress on everything else. An example is if a 13/14/15/14/8 pitcher had a major league curveball. If we say that the curveball's skill cap is 17 because of that comment, and he's had a pace of all his pitching ratings growing at the same rate, then he'd get to 15/16/17/16/10. If he has cap room to get another 8 skills, he wont get to 17/18/17/18/12, but instead will probably get 1 or 2 pops after hitting 17 movement and then stop. I, unlike most, will call up anyone within 15 of their cap, because my belief is that they will hit their build's finished state no matter what at that point. I then start them to get them to the end of their build as fast as possible, and they have taken off for me once they hit those points. This is why i covet guys who have a 6+ SI growth season over season in the minors at minimum. Guys that grow 3-5 SI a season in the minors tend to be some of my slower developers in the majors too, so i tend to shy away from those kinds of players. Hirano would get called up because of this proximity for my team in most cases. However, i consider him trash because of his hitting grades, so i would've cut him already.

5) The guy that owned your team prior to you was 100% trapped by guys who had great SI's but trash contact hitting grades. In D.VI and to some extent D.V you can fluke good hitting seasons with 12 or less hitting. However, anyone who has no comment for contact hitting will most likely finish at 12 or less (there are some players that 'break their scouting' and get to levels that don't match their reports). 12 hitting or less is basically like suggesting at D.IV the player can't hit better than .235 90% of the time or more. Good hitters cap at 15 max, and are more or less the .255 type. very good is 17, and .270. great is no cap all the way to 20, and could be north of .270 quite often.

The struggle i have with 12 or less hitting is that if you have a .240 average or less, the chances of you ever getting to the .345-.350 obp range that constitutes a decent obp threat are really low. At best, most players have a .080 split between hitting and obp, so that would require a .265 or better to hit the minimum obp in most cases (i've seen some .100 average/obp splits too, but those are less common). If you aren't on base 35% of the time, then you aren't getting on enough to utilize your speed to get into scoring position from first. Additionally, having prolific power with a .240 average versus a .290 average i would think takes you down a good handful of HR's. Would be hard for me to believe that HR's would be static regardless of hitting (meaning hitting 30 Hr's regardless of 140 hits or 180 hits). So it's literally important to every single offensive rating, and would explain why despite your higher than normal SI amongst your battery that you are unable to sustain good offense.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

If I look at my prospect rankings, it does say Puente and Lange should be ready this season anyways.

Just wanna add a word of advice here: never base your decisions on the Prospect Rankings. Those aren't accurate. It was just a for-fun thing added a while back that has no real meaning. The formula used for those calculations is completely different from the tracking of actual player growth.

The only thing you should be listening to is the recommendations given under Reassign Players. Or if you're in the Minors screen and it says "he's learned all he can at this level" or whatever, you can take that as time to move up. Once the system literally says he can't learn any more at that level, he's used up all the possible training points at the given level and needs a promotion to continue to grow. This could just be the next minors level or if he's in AAA, it's time for the majors.

Also the reverse can happen if you have someone assigned too high... it might say he's outmatched at the current level of competition. This doesn't mean he can't still grow at that level, but suggests he's missing training at a lower level that you should probably make sure he grabs before it's too late. You wanna get every drop to maximize his growth.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
For me, the prospect rating really is just a ratio of age vs SI.

If you have a high SI and low age, you're a high rated prospect. if you have a low SI and are older, then you get a low rating.

It's not bad but it really is more for fun than making serious judgments on because SI can be affected by things not necessarily relevant to the particular player.

Previous Page | Show All |