Help

Forum >> Help >> Proficiency!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
solace36

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Appreciate the input!
As you can see his initial assignment has now negatively impacted him all the way into 'AAA'. I have little doubt that when he finally retires that 3B will still be at the upper top right of his profile.

The problem with any change to the type system used now would probably affect how computer controlled team players are handled. Perhaps working that aspect out code wise is beyond the benefit such a position change would make. That's for the development crew to decide.

Ideally in my mind you draft a young player, read his scout report, evaluate his basic skills, then assign him to Rookie League based upon that initial evaluation. Later altering his position and secondary focus as he progresses with play.

I see no problem with taking a college graduate player at position then being able to change only his secondary position. You assume he has been adequately evaluated at that point. It's really about these younger players that need to play to determine where best suited.
AD24

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
"Yes Rock but having the best position(as i see fit) already with a capital letter would open up other training avenues to chose from. Rather than having a guy with a C and no arm for instance."

"I'm talking about having them start with the correct position...not getting free training."

Yes you are asking for free training, part of the training process is deciding their position and training them in the minors for it. You're asking for the players to already be in their "best" position AND have them be experienced in said position.

At least that's how I'm interpreting it.
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
ok, then allow me chose the position and give him only the small letter. Why do you guys want to keep a system that gives you a guy with a 6 arm a capital C(catcher). It's no big deal, it was just a thought from someone that i thought was a good one.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@solace36 it has nothing to do with evaluation. Its is 100% about experience. What position does the guy have the most practical experience in. The fact that he knows how to play 3B hasn't damaged his progress at Catcher in any way.

Getting a small "c" is still getting free experience. I consider the identifying and retraining of players to be an enjoyable part of the game. And the fact that I have to make tough choices on guys is part of the fun. Aleman was never going to be a catcher with 5 arm. He probably was best suited to 1B (despite being a righty), but I decided to give him training at 2B because I felt there was a small chance he would have utility there. These are the types of difficult choices that make the game fun. If I could have just taken Aleman and made him a 2b, it would not have been anywhere near as rewarding.

If Spears hadn't started off as a SS, I never would have trained him as one. Now that he is in the majors, I've found that I needed him to help out at SS. Utility I would not have had if he entered the minor without any position knowledge whatsoever.

Updated Wednesday, May 3 2017 @ 4:02:44 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Ideally in my mind you draft a young player, read his scout report, evaluate his basic skills, then assign him to Rookie League based upon that initial evaluation. Later altering his position and secondary focus as he progresses with play.

This is how it works today. The only thing you left out, is that they start with some free training in one or more positions, which may influence your evaluation of where the player is best suited. One extra variable we have to work with.
cmneal

Bolingbrook Beavers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I think that due to the roster limitations you should totally get to "pick" your players position. If everyone has this option, then we all will receive the perceived "free" training. And if we all get it, then what is the problem?

There is no reason to have to retrain a supposed catcher with a 5 for arm, especially with how slow changing positions can be. Hell, there would never be a catcher with a 5 arm available if he doesn't know another position because NO ONE in their right mind would have had him playing catcher his whole life. Seems silly to draft a catcher and have no idea what his arm is anyways.

I realize some of you seem to resist change, but there is always room for improvement. And either making it easier to train new positions or assigning them from the beginning or having a more detailed scouting report at draft time would improve this game.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

As you can see his initial assignment has now negatively impacted him all the way into 'AAA'. I have little doubt that when he finally retires that 3B will still be at the upper top right of his profile.

Actually I can guarantee it won't be. As I switched Doyle from OF to 2B at 31 and he had switched primary positions after two full seasons despite having played close to 1000 ML games in the outfield and who knows how many minor league games.

As a side note, Doyle was an exceptional player, I would not recommend doing what I did with him with most players.

Updated Wednesday, May 3 2017 @ 4:25:22 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@cmneal, I see one major flaw with that argument, that it would create a steeper hill for new owners and more opportunities to make mistakes. True the lack of any reporting on arm right now makes it a crap shoot, but as pointed out already the lack of career ending injuries and several other things that happen in real life means that there needs to be something to simulate the uncertainty that exists in real life with even the most certain superstars (think Strasbourg or Posey and their injuries).
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea that a player may not start out trained in their best position. This means we are required to look at our prospects, judge their skills and assign them to train correctly. Of course allowing a manager to assign a position would accomplish this but there is one other thing to consider.

The long train time also benefits managers who take the long view. when you get a new prospect you have to consider not only what position they will be good at, but also what positions they can be trained at by that time, and what positions you will need when they are available for the majors. I honestly believe the ability to manage these things is what separates the great managers from the competent ones. Of course there is luck in this game, but planning and deeper understanding should be rewarded.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

there would never be a catcher with a 5 arm available if he doesn't know another position because NO ONE in their right mind would have had him playing catcher his whole life. Seems silly to draft a catcher and have no idea what his arm is anyways.

This I agree with, which is why I had proposed fitting players to loosely defined templates, so you would essentially be guaranteed that a guy advertised as a Catcher would always have at least a 12 arm. That would still mean some guys wouldn't really cut it, but you wouldn't have any silly instances of 5 arm guys playing catcher in college. It would be one more hint for drafting by position, but so far that idea hasn't caught on with Steve.

Previous Page | Show All |