Help

Forum >> Help >> Evaluation for next level   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a magic number of 7 and will promote to LLV next season. Before I make lineup changes to get my youngsters some big league time, I'm requesting an evaluation of my team for LLV competition. What do see as strengths/weaknesses for that level?

Some minor points: I have 4 catchers on my ML roster but Peters is 1B/DH. Lee is 1B/C & Ahn strictly C. Although the latter two are pot 11, one has 19 hitting and the other 16 hitting and 19 arm. Productive at LLVI but how about LLV?

I also know that I need to upgrade my middle infield as they are not great fielding. And the back end of my bullpen needs an upgrade.

What do you think? Feel free to comment on both majors and minors. Thanks.

Updated Saturday, April 22 2017 @ 8:52:15 pm PDT
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would let dmitry be C and see how he does with that hitting,
I'd go lee at 1st even though he's only 11 POT cause he has a 19 hitting which I suspect will result in him hitting round .300

U can get by with 11 POT at C and 1b if they have the perfect builds like for 1b he has average fielding range and arm, average speed but a very good hitter would be good and same with C but u might lose some hitting due to u needing the arm behind the plate
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow. I don't see very good hitters reach 19 very often. :)

Ya, the first thing that caught my eye was the fielding in the middle infield. Think it increases the variability of your outcomes. If Webster and Connelly both field well then you could be fine. If they both field closer to their floors that could really slow you down. (Low fielding means fewer DPs turned as well, so makes things a little harder on your pitching staff, especially GB pitchers). Both guys were key to your good season this year, so I wouldn't be in a rush to replace them. But keep your eyes open.

Also have some hitters that may be sensitive to better opponent pitching. Guys with hit skill but low BC & PD, or with BC & PD but low hit skill. Like the fielding on the middle infielders, they may be fine. But in my experience these types of players have a greater chance of dipping against good pitching.

Have a nice 1-2 punch in the starting rotation. Another solid starter or reliable arm in the bullpen (or both) would be nice. Can be hard to find. Not sure what the finances are like, but if you are willing to take on some salary that would give more options here.

Not a ton of LHB in the vs. RHP lineup. Something to keep an eye out for. Platoon bonus helps when player quality goes up. (I didn't check minors - don't know what is stashed down there).

I hope this doesn't sound gloomy. Not supposed to. Sometimes teams make posts like this and its clear if they are going to be fine or struggle. I think its less clear for your team. Could go really well next season and it wouldn't surprise me. Could be tough next season - wouldn't surprise me either.

Good luck!
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Seca. I see what you are saying about the Hit vs BC/PD skills. I'm hoping that they will still produce at the next level while I try to find more balance in there.

I've had a decent top of the draft this year, and made some nice pickups, so I think that I have a decent pitching pipeline coming up but will take some time to develop. The position players in my minors are ok, but are mostly OF/1B type players and nothing to develop for up the middle. I think that is where I am most vulnerable. I can only hope that I catch lightning in a bottle during the offseason or in next year's draft and land a stud SS/2B or two.

I don't have many left handed bats on my roster at all. I guess the success my righties have had against RHP has masked that, but a valid area to keep my eye on.

After I clinch, then I'm going to put Dmitry back into my lineup at Catcher. I had him playing everyday to start the season, but he just wasn't producing so I had to make a change. Maybe a couple of weeks of regular time will shake some more hitting SI out of him.

Thank you both for the advice. Anyone have thoughts on my minors, and if you may agree with my evaluation of them?

Previous Page | Show All |