Help

Forum >> Help >> Minor League Stats Usefulness   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Ace

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What are people's thought on the usefulness of minor league stats? Do they give us any picture into how they will perform in the Show?

I think a player that has good stats all the way through gives me a picture of how he will perform. But I do think I have seen some posts saying they don't really matter much.

Just curious about others thoughts.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm sure you'll hear from both sides, but my vote is...kinda :)

You can see if a guy with speed will steal bases but I believe the competition varies too wildly down there to get a good look at much else.

Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think the stats mean much, but I pay attention to SBs for hitters and ERA/WHIP/BAA for pitchers, just to gauge how they're going. Of course I don't know who they're facing, so for all I know they're against a 130 SI 16 POT players every game.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@McDoogle, or the opposite problem if the stats are really good they could be against 18 SI players without you knowing...
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm a nub but I tend to go along with Mcdoogle.

I've not had any cases where a minor leaguer who was just awful in the minors suddenly bloomed into a great player.

My better players have been better players all along. However, some minor league stars have subsequently slumped.

I tend to use it as a warning sign rather than a sign of great things to come.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You have to take everything with a grain of salt, but I do think they are useful. If a guy looks great on paper (for his level), but is performing horribly, it could be a sign that he is overrated. And the opposite, if he looks horrible on paper but performs really well, he may be underrated.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have actually put a fair amount of weight in minor league statistics and probably will continue. Maybe a bad strategy?
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I use minor league stats as well as the recommended level. If a player is too old or not performing after 450 AB or 160 innings, I tend to cut a player. I also look at there playing time and seasonal SI gains.

I use a "moneyball" strategy and I put a lot of weight on OPS for hitters. For pitchers, I look at there FIP and GB/FB ratio. I like pitchers with less than 3 BB and 1 HR per 9 innings with 1.33 GB to 1 FB.

Updated Friday, May 12 2017 @ 8:39:26 am PDT
Ace

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Awesome! Thanks for the help everyone!

So do you just set your fast guys to "+" or "++" for steals in the minors to see how they do? I haven't really done any of that and I'm thinking I'm missing out on something that is pretty easy!!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I put everyone to ++. Gives you the most data. You can see how often they will steal, and how successful they are. Just means you can be a little more logical about the real setting when they get to the majors.

Previous Page | Show All |