Help

Forum >> Help >> How to get this guy some playing time?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Looking for an outside opinion on this one. I have a utilityish player, Gregory McFadden, that I just don't know what to do with. He needs to be getting a starting role of some sort the next two seasons to finish developing as a high 13 POT or a low 14. The problem is, even with his positional flexibility, I just don't know where to put him. His three positions are SS, c, 3b. He's probably most naturally a 3B, but that is locked up by Mr. Black for at least the next 2-3 seasons unless he really struggles. Next, I'd try him at catcher, but I'm trying to finish developing my catcher of the future, Juan Fossas. Finally, shortstop is usually handled by veteran 30 year old Pedro Batista. Batista is a very streaky hitter, and I would be most comfortable taking at bats away from Batista due to his age, and he's not exactly a defensive wizard for the position (despite his strong bat). However, McFadden is already a fully developed shortstop, and its his weakest fitting position of the three he "knows."

Any ideas?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't like him for SS or C. He looks like a nice 3B, but he needs fielding experience at 3B to become proficient. Where is your team at? Going for it or rebuilding? You have a lot of young guys in right now, but that seems to be because of the cup, so I can't tell who your actual starters are. If you are rebuilding I'd give this guy priority over Black.

You could move also move Black to DH or something like that. Regardless, I would definitely put McFadden at 3B for the cup games. He seriously needs innings at 3B, and Gómes isn't really a 3B. McFadden shows a ton of promise at 3B if he can get innings.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So, I'd go with him at 3B, and Black at DH until his 3B position is fully developed, but then again that sort of mindset may be why I never promoted out of LL II to Legends, despite finishing second twice.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with y'all, that would be the best solution for McFadden individually, but the problem is that that solution exposes my other "problems." Good problems, but problems nonetheless.

I am absolutely, 100% going for promotion this year. I feel like I was a bit unfortunate in being demoted last season, and I have a good young core of players that are easily capable of immediately moving back up this season, in my opinion. You are correct Rock, I am utilizing cup play to get some of my younger guys desperately needed playing time. I am still taking the cup very seriously and if it looks like I won't be advancing to the elimination round, I will not hesitate to put my starters back in. However, since I'm in a pretty easy group, I think it would be wise to get younger guys such as Gomes, McFadden, Ames, Griffin, and Chikafuji some time.

Anywho, here's my problem, I have a set DH for quite some time... and he's pretty dang good. Last year was his breakout season and he hit 35 dongs and had 125 against DIII pitching (in an offense that didn't put up a crap-ton of runs I may add). I could try to get Srisati, my DH, to learn outfield, which is his most natural position, but I am already chalk-full of outfielders in my majors. I have six different guys I need to rotate in and out if you include Art Neal, who will be getting a little bit of time in the outfield so Chikafuji can get some time at 1B. So, where does that leave Black? His range isn't high enough for SS or 2B, I'd try him in the OF, but I just pointed out the problem with that, and Fossas is my catcher, period. The way I see it, someone is going to be the odd man out.

This would be a lot easier if I hadn't won Black on waivers last season, but I am not complaining. He stole 69 bases in just 130 games last season, plus he was incredibly productive with the bat.

Edit: Oh, I also forgot to mention that I have yet another good looking 3B prospect in my minors, Linsey Tracy. If his PD/BC doesn't rise a little bit then I don't think he'll stick around for very long, but he could be a good player.

Updated Monday, May 22 2017 @ 9:38:29 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you are going for promotion, I would probably stick with Black, but I would get McFadden as many innings at 3B as possible (including all spring training and cup). Black isn't a guaranteed commodity yet, and McFadden actually has the potential to be a better player in the long run. Once you clinch (one way or the other), I'd have McFadden at 3B for every game.

Previous Page | Show All |