Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitching glut   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Figured I should try to get ahead of this problem and start thinking about what to do at the end of this season.

Long story short, I currently have 12 pitchers in my major league lineup, two guys in the minors who have received their recommendation for a call-up, and one overager who I plan to start integrating towards the end of the season. I'm already integrating 3 rookies as relievers, and for the most part my rotation is solid (I've had some decent luck with waivers and finding some free agent gems). I'm hoping to get some input on where people see reasonable cuts, since there's only so many innings to go around and the young guys are quite promising. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Realized I should probably add, I am currently thinking of McKinney and Villarreal as my top 2 candidates. McKinney silenced LL V bats last year but that was in large part due to a .205 BAA. He seems to have hit a wall again in his return to LL IV, as his BAA is up to .270, BBs are still really high, and he gives up too many HRs. I was lucky with waivers to get him in the first place, but I'm on the fence whether to try and ride out another season with him. Villarreal is on the cutting block for a different reason; I promoted him to the majors as a 21 yo before I came across forum threads discussing that the built-in promotion suggestions could be a bit off sometimes. He only had a season and a bit in AAA and his ceiling is only as a MR or mop-up guy, since he doesn't have a dominating pitch. His BBs are also higher than his control might suggest. Oh and surprise (I haven't been around much) but he also got the dreaded message, so he might be capped out already :(

Updated Saturday, June 10 2017 @ 7:15:24 pm PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a pretty good staff that you've got. Not overly old and most are performing well. Even the 31 year olds have seasons ahead of them.
Brisneo is the only one I see that I would probably cut. Much of his SI is in his fastball and stamina and fastball usually falls off before anything else so I don't see him as a longevity pitcher for you. His performance is a little off as well compared to your other guys. That said, someone else would snap him up but he looks like your weak spot to me.
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Tiger! Yeah the older guys are still holding up well and it's nice to have the stability. I hear what you're saying about Briseno, he will fall off a bit earlier than the others. He was starting to get his BBs under control this season though and I wanted to see if he'd pop a little more at 27 yo and be a good 3-5 starter for maybe 3 more seasons. I added a couple of guys to my first post along with a rationale, not sure what you thought of them.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You do have a very nice staff. Especially your minors. Grady is going to be an absolute killer in the bullpen. Here are my thoughts on the most likely candidates.

Briseno doesn't have the most optimal build. He is always going to give up more than his share of HRs. He hasn't done horrible though. His development has been flat since yearly last season, so he is probably close to his max skill level at this point. A potential cut, but I wouldn't put him at the top.

Villarreal does have a low ceiling. He was a fast grower, so he really might not be stunted. Could also just be a very low ceiling. He is almost to POT 12. I would expect similar performance as last year, which in my book means he would be a good cut.

McKinney is a lefty with poor control. This means his performance will swing drastically based on the opposition and random bad outings. Overall his performance has been respectable, but his bad years have been pretty painful. I think he is certainly an option if you have other guys you want to start games.

I'm not a huge fan to Gonzáles' build. He did decent in the minors, but I think he has a low upside. A POT 12 with lots of stamina and only one strong tool (CoS). His K/BB ratio in the minors was very impress, but I don't think he will be so dominate in the majors. I would consider him a possibility as well.

Macias is starting to decline, but he has the type of build that will allow him to still perform even with more decline next year. I'd hold on to him.

I'd be cautious with Mercado. He is a lefty that gives up a lot of HRs. POT 14 is nice, but he does have a lot SI wasted in stamina and defensive skills. If his CoS gets high enough he might do ok, but he looks a bit risky to me.

Schaffer is a bit curious. He will have low Velocity and Cos, but incredibly high Movement and Control. I suspect he may have 20 Control. His minors performance has been a bit blasé, but it will be interesting to see what happens when he starts topping out with his Movement and Control.

I think Villarreal is the safest cut.

#1 - Villarreal
#2 - McKinney
#3 - Mercado
#5 - Briseno
#4 - Gonzáles
#6 - Schaffer
Don't cut - Macias
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks as always for your input Rock! Yeah I think I'm leaning towards dropping Villarreal, and maybe one more guy in the next few weeks or so. McKinney will probably go...we'll see haha. It can be hard to readjust perspective on guys like Mercado and Briseno, especially when you draft and develop them all the way. Hopefully they'll prove you wrong! :P

Updated Sunday, June 11 2017 @ 1:23:38 pm PDT
lucasvo5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
They will have a bright future.

Previous Page | Show All |